General Tech Passing Utah safety inspection? New from Cali

Status
Not open for further replies.

gertsch

Uhp trains you to measure from the top of the frame to the lowest part of the body under the drivers seat. I've been an inspector the past 8 years and can help you figure out what you need to pass if you would like. I also know several of the uhp safety officers and can get clarification from them on whatever you may need.

Caleb

I believe its 6 months time that you have, unless you are a student.

Or military...but that's just to get Utah plates on your vehicle. If you're driving on Utah roads, you have to abide by Utah laws...ask the guys that attend EJS every year from out of state. :)

B2-Bomber

Uhp trains you to measure from the top of the frame to the lowest part of the body under the drivers seat

i am also an ispector, my license is expired though. they taught us to follow the manual and measure to the "lowest part of the floor pan" (which is usually the drivers floor, but not necesarrily)

3. Check the body lifts above the frame (UCA 41-6a-1631).

a.
REJECT when:

1) Lowest part of body floor is raised more than 3” above top of

frame.

no sway bar will be a fail too.

also as far as you "BOB" goes:
[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]I. FRAME

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold][/FONT][/FONT]1. Check the frame, repairs must meet OEM Specifications.

a.
[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]REJECT [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold][/FONT][/FONT]when:

1) Has any broken or cracked frame component.

2) Frame is rusted through.

3) Frame has been cut or portions of the frame have been

removed or bent affecting the strength or integrity of the

frame.

they taught us that if the frame had been cut, fail it......period

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
Or military...but that's just to get Utah plates on your vehicle. If you're driving on Utah roads, you have to abide by Utah laws...ask the guys that attend EJS every year from out of state. :)
No you don't have to abide by all the laws. If you are a visitor from out of state they cannot make you alter your vehicle to their the needs of the state. The guys at the EJS that get tickets should fight them. Until there is a national standard hey can't enforce residence of other states to follow their rules. If you are driving on utah roads you do have to obey traffic laws. That is something that is under you imediate control.
I have a car that is regisrtered in an area that doesn't have emissions. If I went to california they could not pull me over and say while you are here visiting you have to changeyour car to pass our laws. Admittedly staying longer then 6 months is not a visit. But if you have an out of state residence, and go back and forth, there is nothing they can do. If they do target you that is selective enforcment. That is a whole other can of worms they don't want to get into.

Strautins

Dang :(

Now lets say I had it registered at my parents house in California so it had Cali plates and all. Would they still pull me over? Or not cause it's a Cali truck?

I am active duty military and I have my rigs all registered in Alaska and I never get hassled. I was with a couple guys who got pulled over for not having mud flaps, I don't have them either and they told me to "go away" even though I too didn't/don't have mud flaps...

There isn't any way I'm gonna pass haha since I'm only gonna be here till April (student) then I think I'll register it in Cali and take my chances. Ill do my best to have it not stick out like a sore thumb

I am active duty military and I have my rigs all registered in Alaska and I never get hassled. I was with a couple guys who got pulled over for not having mud flaps, I don't have them either and they told me to "go away" even though I too didn't/don't have mud flaps...

What are your rigs like? Where do you live?

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
...Even if it's a Cali truck I believe they can pull you over

My in-laws used to visit all the time from Vegas. Their car has 15% tint on all of the windows - perfectly legal in NV. Unfortunately, every time they passed through St. George, UHP would pull them over and give them a ticket for windows being too dark. It's been over a year now since they've driven up here - just not worth the hassle for them (not to mention extra $$$). Honestly, it's sad and quite unreasonable, IMHO.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
My in-laws used to visit all the time from Vegas. Their car has 15% tint on all of the windows - perfectly legal in NV. Unfortunately, every time they passed through St. George, UHP would pull them over and give them a ticket for windows being too dark. It's been over a year now since they've driven up here - just not worth the hassle for them (not to mention extra $$$). Honestly, it's sad and quite unreasonable, IMHO.

They can do that? Even though their car is legal in the state it's registered in?

Caleb

They can do that? Even though their car is legal in the state it's registered in?

Yes, and it's legal for the cops to do. It's not selective enforcement, they'll pull over a Utah resident with tint too dark (ask me how I know) just the same as they'll pull over a visitor with tint that's too dark. Laws are laws, it's your responsibility to know the laws where you are going to and make sure you abide by them. You don't get to pick and choose which laws works best for you. Ignorance is no excuse for the law. Same idea as when you carry in other states, you better know the laws of where you are visiting and if your Utah CFP is good there. If it is, what are their laws regarding carrying.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
They can only hold you to the laws in your state of residence. If your vehicle passes in your state it is legal everywhere else. Just ask an attorney on that. And yes it could be constrewed as selective enforcement. I played that game before. I had a right hand drive VW bug. I didn't have a mirror on the left side it was on the right drivers side. Pullled over three time in one month and given a ticket for it by the same UHP. The first time he pulled me over was because "it didn't look right". He went back to his car and came back with the ticket. The next two times he pulled me over was to check to see if I had moved the mirror. No I handn't so, ticket.
Went to court on this. and told the judge about what happened. The judge said "it sounds like selective enforcement". He dismissed my tickets and told the officer that he was to give me a written apology.
My brother in law had the same problem with tint when he came to St. george. He lived in Vegas. Went to court and fought the tickets. He no longer has any problem coming into St. george.
They cannot ask you to drive around the state or be arrested if you met all certifications in you local residence. But if you live in that state they can sure give you all kind of grief.

Strautins

What are your rigs like? Where do you live?

My Tacoma is lifted on 33s without mud flaps, very similar to the other guys I was with that were ticketed... AK license plate and a Marine Corps ID keeps me from getting hassled.

Not as extreme as your rig but when I get my 85 4Runner up on 37s (35s currently, but I haven't had it long enough to be harassed) I don't expect to run into any trouble either.

and I live in south SLC

Strautins

They can only hold you to the laws in your state of residence. If your vehicle passes in your state it is legal everywhere else. Just ask an attorney on that. And yes it could be constrewed as selective enforcement. I played that game before. I had a right hand drive VW bug. I didn't have a mirror on the left side it was on the right drivers side. Pullled over three time in one month and given a ticket for it by the same UHP. The first time he pulled me over was because "it didn't look right". He went back to his car and came back with the ticket. The next two times he pulled me over was to check to see if I had moved the mirror. No I handn't so, ticket.
Went to court on this. and told the judge about what happened. The judge said "it sounds like selective enforcement". He dismissed my tickets and told the officer that he was to give me a written apology.
My brother in law had the same problem with tint when he came to St. george. He lived in Vegas. Went to court and fought the tickets. He no longer has any problem coming into St. george.
They cannot ask you to drive around the state or be arrested if you met all certifications in you local residence. But if you live in that state they can sure give you all kind of grief.

^This...
I get relocated often and I have NEVER had a problem with being pulled over for local bullshit... I'd fight any BS ticket they tried to give me and I'm confident I'd win.

Caleb

Couple things. Yes, they can "make you" drive around the state if you don't want to comply with the laws. Ask the OTR truckers how many permits they have to pull for different states depending on what they are hauling. Also, that cop that gave you the tickets was an idiot (if what you say is true). Not an idiot for giving yo a ticket for something that's not legal here, but for giving you a ticket for something that's 100% legal here. All Utah law says regarding mirrors is that you need to rear facing mirrors on vehicles 1968 or newer, one on the driver side and one rear view mirror, unless you have tint or other obstruction of the rear view mirror than you have to have a passenger side mirror. It doesn't say anything about right of left, it clearly uses driver side/passenger side. Lastly, when was the last time you got arrested for a traffic violation? Unless there are other reasons to arrest you, you won't be so quit being melodramatic over a traffic citation discussion.

It's not only Utah that does this, just about every state does (and they all have the right to). Go look at many of the state visitors sites. Many of them have a section called "top 10 laws you might want to know about when visiting <insert state here>. Like I said before, ignorance is no excuse for the law. Military is a different issue. You are only responsible for the laws of the state you call home. That was already covered earlier, same thing for students I believe. Otherwise you have 60 days to get your car registered and driver license changed to Utah once you call Utah your home.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
No they can't. You are a citizen of the United States of America. OTR trucker are in a different situation. They are carring cargo goods. That is a whole different situation. There are national laws about transporting goods. I am not transporting goods.
It was a 1964 bug. I didn't even have seat belts in the car. Did not come from the factory with them. So not needed. He gave me a ticket for that as well. He was clear about the fact it had to be on the left. I did read the utah law on that. That is why I went to court.
summer davis county. A davis county sherrif pulled me and my friend over. Still don't know why. He gave us all a sobriety test. He also said he smelled marijauna. I told him that there was no way we were inebriated in any way shape or form. He told us "BULL SHIT, I smell smoke on you." we had just been down to SLC for a concert. People were smoking cigarettes, of course we smelled like smoke. Subsequently we were taken to jail and spent the night there. None of us were ever given a drug test or, heard anything about the results of our sobriety test. Which I am sure we all passed. Unless Rootbeer shows up on that test. Since this time I have Defintley changed my attitude towards law enforcment. I also have made myself alot more knowledgeable about were I stand with in the law.
So what you are saying is if you are military and from here. When you go back east you can drive 75 mph? because you are responsible for the laws of the state you call home. The speed limit on I 95 is 55. And in Delaware it is 30 days to change your licence.
So when My grandmother come up here from arizona. She can be pulled over and given a ticket for to dark of tint. Being my grandmother she would not pay it because it is not illeagal to have dark tint in her home state. So the next time she comes up she will be arrested for a unpaid ticket for something that is legal in her state. That is ludacris. I would love to see that happen and the media storm that would insue.
I am not being melodramatic. I stand up for what is right. If you are complacent the laws will slowly move in and take our freedom. Look at how many trails have been shut down recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.