Pessimist Prime? A cabover crawler hauler

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
IMG_6967.jpeg

Trip was okish. Still was getting the visor vibration and it shattered the drivers side glass now. So I ended up pulling over and yanking it off. Not sure if I’ll try to mod it or just bag it. But I really don’t want to replace the windshield and have it happen again. So…

Truck ran good the whole trip but it is leaking so much oil I can hardly believe it. The hole in the oil pan made sense on the drive home from North Dakota but now it just shouldn’t be this bad.

It coated my camper. Not only on the front but down the sides. Looks like I lost about 2 gallons on the whole trip.

I raised the cab and looked last night and it’s just everywhere. No definite single leaky spot. So I guess I’ll wash it good and check it after a short trip. See if I can find some of it. I’m guessing every gasket and seal that it has is bad. 👎

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
View attachment 176642

Trip was okish. Still was getting the visor vibration and it shattered the drivers side glass now. So I ended up pulling over and yanking it off. Not sure if I’ll try to mod it or just bag it. But I really don’t want to replace the windshield and have it happen again. So…

Truck ran good the whole trip but it is leaking so much oil I can hardly believe it. The hole in the oil pan made sense on the drive home from North Dakota but now it just shouldn’t be this bad.

It coated my camper. Not only on the front but down the sides. Looks like I lost about 2 gallons on the whole trip.

I raised the cab and looked last night and it’s just everywhere. No definite single leaky spot. So I guess I’ll wash it good and check it after a short trip. See if I can find some of it. I’m guessing every gasket and seal that it has is bad. 👎
We had a lot of failed crank pulley seals on that motor back in the day.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
When I got my motorhome, I had someone tell me that Detroit's leak a lot. I don't know if that was the older motors, but my series 60 is still leak free.......knock on wood. but then again, it only has 131k miles on it, so it is barely broke in.
The old ones did leak. I liked both of my Detroits, but one of them was prone to a specific fuel leak issue. The cups surrounding the injectors would crack and leak fuel into the antifreeze. That usually happened at much higher mileage than yours has. I wanna say 275-300k.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The old ones did leak. I liked both of my Detroits, but one of them was prone to a specific fuel leak issue. The cups surrounding the injectors would crack and leak fuel into the antifreeze. That usually happened at much higher mileage than yours has. I wanna say 275-300k.
Usually lack of use causes as many problems as high miles. I have an EGR in my garage that I need to install because there is a problem right now where I get a some type of blow back through the intake at around 1300 rpm. From what I have been able to read on it, its a known issue with the valve sticking. I am sure the soot in the EGR tends to harden when it sits for extended periods of time over its 20 year life. I have averaged about 12k miles a year on it, but if you rate it out over its life, this thing has only seen about 6800 miles a year.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Usually lack of use causes as many problems as high miles. I have an EGR in my garage that I need to install because there is a problem right now where I get a some type of blow back through the intake at around 1300 rpm. From what I have been able to read on it, its a known issue with the valve sticking. I am sure the soot in the EGR tends to harden when it sits for extended periods of time over its 20 year life. I have averaged about 12k miles a year on it, but if you rate it out over its life, this thing has only seen about 6800 miles a year.
All of the Detroits I drove were pre-EGR.