Photobucket Officially Sucks

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Photobucket just blocked all the images I had posted on RME. Says it doesn't allow 3rd party hosting with my level of subscription (free).
The only subscription that allows 3rd party hosting is going to cost me $40/mo.... grrrr... ain't gonna happen.

At least with RME I can edit my posts and host them on RME servers. Not so with other sites.
Shame though since a full size picture in the thread looks a lot nicer than a thumbnail. In this day and age is bandwidth really that precious?

I wonder if I can get a domain and static IP for less?

Don't link to pictures on Photobucket

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Yup, they just hosed me too. Apparently the ads that completely plaster their site weren't making them enough money. Flickr lost me a while ago doing something similar, guess I need to start looking around for a new hosting outfit.

Coco

I just moved all the photos on last years Colorado trip to RME servers.
https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?111551-A-week-in-Colorado
What a pain. Fortunately RME and ExpUT are where most of my posts have been and they keep the edit option open indefinitely.

Not a bad idea, just sucks for the guys with really long build threads.

I just deleted my account. Will be gone on the 2nd it says. No need for it if they won't let you host pics on forums. The site sucked to navigate with the millions of ads anyway. Maybe a blessing in disguise?

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I never understood why people used photo bucket. Half of the time, the linked pics wouldn't show up for many different reasons. It just seems like it's been an unreliable system for a long time.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I know they asked me to renew my info awhile ago and I did. Hint, hint.
So far. Pics still there. Yep, still there.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Caleb

www.smugmug.com It costs a few bucks but has been 100% reliable, provides all the different embedding urls automatically (that will link back to your album), unlimited hi-res storage, can host videos, when sharing you can share different sizes from the original (without having to resize things), no ads, and the founder is an ADV Biker guy (also owns, or did, ADVRider.com). I'm sure there are many other reasons to use them too. I usually do most things myself, hosting images is one thing that's just not worth it when there's such a good service for so little.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
www.smugmug.com It costs a few bucks but has been 100% reliable, provides all the different embedding urls automatically (that will link back to your album), unlimited hi-res storage, can host videos, when sharing you can share different sizes from the original (without having to resize things), no ads, and the founder is an ADV Biker guy (also owns, or did, ADVRider.com). I'm sure there are many other reasons to use them too. I usually do most things myself, hosting images is one thing that's just not worth it when there's such a good service for so little.

x2! Been using SmugMug for a long time and I love it, super high quality photo hosting. Yes, it costs ($50/yr?) but the cost is well worth what you get. I upload a LOT of large photo's and have never had an issue.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Looks like I'm in the same bucket. I started using Flickr about 4 years ago for most of my stuff, but my older stuff is still on Photobucket, so looks like I need to move it off. Really I just need to set up a file server for this stuff, I'm just lazy.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The pictures I posted in my Cummins rebuild thread are still showing and they are linked to Photobucket......maybe it is a rolling blackout instead of the flip of a switch.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
BlueWolf, the pics should still be there, just not served up to 3rd party sites like RME

I'm perfectly ok with $50/year for smugmug.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
BlueWolf, the pics should still be there, just not served up to 3rd party sites like RME

I meant gone from my threads, but yes they're still in my Photobucket account. But my imageshack ones are gone for good. They will not load even at my imageshack account :( I found a 'Customer service' page that says if you email them they can recover the pics, buy after about 3 unanswered emails I gave up.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Maybe try updating your info.
That's pretty much what it's asking for. [emoji12] Duh
Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited: