Power steering cooler???

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Greg said:
Do you have the pump lines in the correct places?

Well i think do.

I have the pressure line in the farthest forward (closest to the grill ) hole and, the return line in the farthest back. I took a wild guess on what i could remember from seeing another one.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Kris K said:
Well i think do.

I have the pressure line in the farthest forward (closest to the grill ) hole and, the return line in the farthest back. I took a wild guess on what i could remember from seeing another one.

Sounds like it's right. The pressure line is the one on the drivers side, correct?

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
I have been running electric cooling fans out of a 01 chevy impala. it's a dual fan set up & they were $40.00 at the junk-yard. Works like a champ, you just have to buy a good adjustable t-stat switch. I run a small trans. cooler from a 2001 chevy k2500 for my power steering. Things are much cooler now!

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Well it's been a over a year and, I'm still fighting the power steering. I did have it worked out for a while but my second trip on Con stripped the gears out of the shaft that ran in to the pump.

So I got a Xj pump called PSC got there Samurai mounting bracket and, 4" pully. Got every thing finally hooked up this morning and, the pump runs everything fine. But after about a 1/2 hour of working GREAT the pump starts to whine ,not bad but a little and, the steering gets stiffer with the hubs in with it in low range. The lines are hot but if i let it sit for about 5 min it cools right off. I already have a cooler on it. So I went and got a bigger cooler this after noon thinking I just need to cool the fluid a little more and , get a little more capacity (sp). Will getting the bigger cooler help that much? Any idea's?

Yes I know getting hydro will fix it but, I don't have the $$$ for it now.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Hydro made my fluid heat up more. I was having problems overheating as well and had the biggest tranny cooler that auotzone sells. So I added some radiator hose on my pump on the filler neck and it holds another bottle of steering fluid and it hasn't overheated since.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Hydro made my fluid heat up more. I was having problems overheating as well and had the biggest tranny cooler that auotzone sells. So I added some radiator hose on my pump on the filler neck and it holds another bottle of steering fluid and it hasn't overheated since.

Like you, I think I just need a little more fluid. I mit still have a little bit of air in the system also. I'm going to just plumb this other cooler in to the system I already have so I'll have two coolers. :D