Dodge Power Wagon build (x2)

xjtony

So the electric fans move a ton of air. So much air that under hood temps are much higher than with the mechanical fan. I installed hood vents to try and draw the hot air out, but over 50mph it still gets quite a bit warmer than before. Under 50 or at idle it's great. I noticed yesterday when I went around a curve in the road the temperature gauge went down. I started looking and realized this...
20211004_193728_HDR_Edited.jpg
Hood vents need a steady flow of outside air to draw the hot air out efficiently. Mine are sitting where they are lower than the front lip of the hood because of its shape. Below 50 mph everything works as it should. Over 50 mph and the clean smooth air is going right over the vents, not running accross them. When I go around a curve they are getting clean, moving air also. I'm not really sure what to do to fix it other than to try and flip them to use more like scoops.

xjtony

My kid ran his 318 down 3 quarts of oil for a week. Timing sets don't like that. Skipped a tooth and then just ate the cam gear. Trailered it home and started tearing it down. I'm just waiting on the seal set to get it back together with the new set. This engine is super gooey so it's taken as long to clean everything up as it has to tear everything down. Hopefully new gaskets stop the leak.
20211011_152703.jpg
20211011_152716_HDR.jpg

85CUCVKRAWLER

So the electric fans move a ton of air. So much air that under hood temps are much higher than with the mechanical fan. I installed hood vents to try and draw the hot air out, but over 50mph it still gets quite a bit warmer than before. Under 50 or at idle it's great. I noticed yesterday when I went around a curve in the road the temperature gauge went down. I started looking and realized this...
View attachment 141532
Hood vents need a steady flow of outside air to draw the hot air out efficiently. Mine are sitting where they are lower than the front lip of the hood because of its shape. Below 50 mph everything works as it should. Over 50 mph and the clean smooth air is going right over the vents, not running accross them. When I go around a curve they are getting clean, moving air also. I'm not really sure what to do to fix it other than to try and flip them to use more like scoops.

Gonna disagree with you here. The purpose of the vents is that hot air is pulled through your radiator and then has no where to go. It gets trapped in the area on top of the motor and firewall. You install vents to give the air a way to move the hot air (which rises) out of the engine bay.

If youre seeing high engine temps at hwy speeds above 50 mph you have something else going on. Hood vents are only really intended for crawling speeds where you dont have rushing air moving across everything. So hot rad air sits on top of the motor, espicially with the hot sun beating down.

You could argue that turbulence from the front end is creating back flow into the vents. But i would argue that whatever reverse flow your seeing is not even within an order of magnitude of a mechanical fan of a motor.

So, if your engine temps are rising at hwy speed i would be looking at something else than the hood vents.

xjtony

@85CUCVKRAWLER no you are correct. I installed the vents for idle time and slow speed. Depending on where you put them at either speeds ( further back on the hood) the flow of fresh air creates a force that can draw out hot air at higher speeds. With the shape of my hood I just don't get that flow if air. Honestly the best option will probably be a 3 row aluminum radiator for summer temps. I did add a bottle of the Royal Purple additive to the coolant and have been getting really good results. The advertised 25 degrees cooler at the top end of the coolant temp is dead on. I've run it in a few rigs now and have always been impressed.

xjtony

That’s not a thermoquad!
Thermoquad-esque? Lol. It only has maybe a thousand miles on the carb. It just needs a top plate where I broke the adjustment screw threads for the secondaries. I've emailed Holley for the part. Ingot it originally because the Engine Masters guys found they were really good right out of the box, and it runs really well. It'll be a good carb for a 17 year old because it's very simple to tune. Takes Holley parts for a ton of it as well.

xjtony

Went to grab the 318 for my kids truck this morning. The guy has held it for 2 weeks while my kid could save up and we could go get it. We paid him $100 deposit to hold it. When I get there the guy hands me a package... A complete gasket set for the engine. He said it's been inside but he moved it under a tarp a few weeks ago to clean the garage to sell the house. He said it rained while it was outside and even though it was under the tarp he wanted to make it right so he spent the deposit on new gaskets.
20211127_125552_HDR.jpg
20211127_153549.jpg

xjtony

Cleaned up, crack booger welded (in between 2 tubes so minimal space) and painted so they will look nice for a week and then start to peel. I'm going to wrap them anyways to try and keep my under hood temps down, I just wanted something coating them before the wrap.
20211202_174109.jpg