Pritchett Canyon - Please Read!

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
In order to save our trails, sometimes we have to do things that we really don’t want to do. That is the case with what is going to be done on Pritchett Canyon. The first ledge that drops off into the canyon, (right at the start of the trail) is going to be “fixed”.

Over the last 2-3 years, this obstacle has become more and more difficult. Now, we all know that Pritchett Canyon is all about difficult obstacles, and I am 100 percent in favor of keeping it that way, but there are several serious problems at this particular spot. First, the shape of the ledge forces many people to veer hard left as they descend (especially if it is wet), and a route has developed that goes completely off the original trail and into the WSA. In the process, one tree has been destroyed, and another is in danger of being destroyed. This fact is perhaps the most important, in that it gives the enviros ammunition in their attempt to close the trail.

Second, a majority of rigs can’t climb back up the obstacle without assistance. Even though we all know that people shouldn’t go down it if they know they can’t climb back out, that does not stop most people. Then they break something, or get to Rocker Knocker and can’t get any further, and they are stuck until someone can pull them out. The worse thing is they often create new routes in an attempt to find an easy way out.

The third thing is the safety issue. The obstacle is the site of a great many rollovers, some of which are quite serious.

Moab Friends-For-Wheelin’ and Red Rock 4-Wheelers have been working with Grand County (Pritchett Canyon trail is a county road), and the BLM on this, and the decision has been made for the County to bring equipment in to “smooth out” the obstacle. This will probably take place in the next month or two. By doing this, we will eliminate the need to encroach into the WSA, improve safety, and allow people a way to get out when they realize they are in over their heads. As a side benefit, it should stop the ATVs and dirt bikes from using an illegal bypass (again within the WSA), because they will once again be able to use the original trail.

There was much discussion on this matter, and other alternatives were looked at prior to making the decision. We talked about putting huge boulders along the side of the trail in order to keep rigs from going into the WSA, but that would not solve the safety issue or the ATV/dirt bike problem, and people would still have a difficult time getting back up if necessary. We also considered the fact that the obstacle acts as a “gatekeeper” of sorts, where lesser-built rigs see the obstacle and turn back. However, in our experience this has not been effective enough to stop damage from occurring. (Too bad it is not an uphill ledge instead of a drop-off… maybe then the gatekeeper idea would work.)

I want to assure everyone that is NO intent to “fix” any other obstacles on the trail. However, we are working on a proposal to develop LEGAL bypasses at Rocker Knocker and Rockpile, as well as install winch anchors in appropriate places, close illegal or redundant routes, and provide and install more effective signage. We have spent time marking illegal routes and performing regular trail maintenance, and will continue to do so.

Pritchett Canyon is my personal favorite trail in Moab. It is both beautiful and challenging, and is the premier “hard core” legal trail on public land in the Moab area. We want to keep it that way, and if eliminating this one obstacle will help to keep it open, then I for one am (reluctantly) in favor of it.

Sorry about the long post, but this is an important and controversial issue.

Thanks – Jeff

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Sounds like a good idea. I had to winch up that ledge with a broken rear axle a time or two.. :(

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
drtsqrl said:
..............Pritchett Canyon is my personal favorite trail in Moab. It is both beautiful and challenging, and is the premier “hard core” legal trail on public land in the Moab area. We want to keep it that way, and if eliminating this one obstacle will help to keep it open, then I for one am (reluctantly) in favor of it.

Sorry about the long post, but this is an important and controversial issue.

Thanks – Jeff

Good work. Give us a yell when you're doing the work if you need some help. That's one of my favorite trails! It'd be way sweet if there was a 'gateway' obstacle that was uphill.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
I hate to hear that a bypass may be made at Rocker Knocker or Rock Pile. I'd rather see some drilled-in reinforced pipe and cable strung along, (guardrail style) to keep people "in bounds". Along with some signage "if you can't make it, winch or turn back".

Some permanent winch points (6" concrete filled pipe in the ground) would be nice.

I hate that we are even discussing this. Growing pains, I guess.

EZ

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Kurt, feel free to use my post in the newsletter if you would like.

EZ, I agree that bypasses on Rocker Knocker and Rockpile are not the ideal solution. However, they do exist (although they are technically "illegal"; in fact, the Rocker Knocker bypass is probably within the WSA), and keeping people from using them will be very difficult. Another problem is the massive backups that sometimes occur at Rocker Knocker. When a backup occurs because people can't climb the obstacle, other people start to get upset and look for a way around. If the existing bypass is closed, they will just create another one. Either that, or they get bored waiting for their turn, and start to screw around making "new" obstacles. The hope is that a bypass will help with some of the conjestion, and thus help lessen the potential for new damage.

Thanks everyone for the offers of help. The County will handle the first obstacle, but if and when winch anchors or other projects happen, we could certainly use the help. We'll keep everyone posted.

Jeff

James K

NO, I'm always like this
I just ran this on friday the 13th :eek: .

We had a group in front of us(maybe 15+) that all chose or were lead to drop off to the left on the ledge. Honestly I do not see why anyone drops off the left side. The right side is much less tippy.

I personally think it is easier to climb it then go down it.

One of these fools in a white xj ended up going down through the WSA :mad2: :mad2: ....................needless to say they all recieved a rash of **** over that. And the funny part is none of them could say a word back.

I can appreciate the need for change BUT, why is it the trail has to be modified for those who can't do it????? :confused:

I was always taught to "modifiy the vehicle not the trail". I don't know about some of you but I did not instantly start doing all the hard trails. I worked up to them with driving skill and vehicle mods. Half these fools now at days are IMO "credit card wheelers". They figure if they have enough of a limit on there credit card then, hey they can afford all the stuff in the ads to let them do the trails like the vehicle in the ads. :mad2: And I think this alone is false advertisement. Just because you buy can afford the mods DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE EXPERIENCE TO DO THE MOST DIFFICULT TRAILS.

Can't there be a fence put up on the left side? It would need to be a stout fence but nonetheless it would keep people from going off through the WSA. I just saw a article in OffRoad magazine I believe(looked at it at City Market on thursday). Which showed some trails runs in Colorado that had fences put up along them to eliminate people making bypasses. To me this would be a better solution then modifiying a obsticle to let people over there heads in to only break down farther in when the traiol gets narrower and harder.

Yeah, I know it was a rant :p

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Right on James! I like the way you think, and like you, I grew fairly slowly with four wheeling, slowly becoming more and more capable in rig AND experience. I wish all would do the same, but the flashiness of buggies makes many want to skip baby steps and go straight to running.

My post above mentions the guardrails...dunnno, to some it may be ugly, unnatural, whatever...but I think it is worth a try as an experiment. Also some appropriate signage explaining "if you can't handle this drop off, it only gets worse. Consider another trail" sort of message. Again, many view signs as ugly and unnatural too (including me, particularly when put up by the BLM and the word "closed" is on them). But isn't obliterating a ledge with a backhoe also ugly and unnatural?

I mean no offense to Jeff or other clubbies. This is your backyard and you need to do what is best.

It is truly unfortunate that we even have to have this conversation in the first place.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I agree. Something has to be done, but I would hate to see the obstacle destroyed to make it easier. I think a fence, or a cable strung across would keep people from going the wrong way. Maybe a warning sign at the trail that lists 'legal' bypasses, and warns that there is no easy way out of the trail. I winch point on top of the obstacle would be nice to help get people out, as well as on top of the rock pile.

I think a couple stout cables would keep people from dropping down and wouldn't stand out or destract too badly from the environment.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
At first I liked the idea of making the obstacle flat, but then I heard the cable idea and I like that one better. I also think the cable idea would be cheaper, and easier to do.

Dunno...I've just always been taught not to modify the trail for any reason. Or if you do, put it back. This goes against that thinking completley. I think it might even add to the tree huggers fire to close the trail. "See what we have to do to keep them out of the protected areas - wouldn't it be easier to just close the trail" I can hear it now.....

Everytime I go up there (this IS my favorite trail) I see fresh tracks down into the WSA area. I even saw motorcycles cruise up through the wash to get out, rather than climb back out the way they obviously came in.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Like James said, there are trails in Colorado with pipe railings to keep people and vehicles on the trail. I think it is a good idea, but doubt it will happen. I would like to see those railings on the beginning of constrictor.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I am sympathetic to the guardrail idea, but it would only solve one of the three problems we have. Yes, it would keep 4x4s out of the WSA. But it would not prevent any of the rollovers that are becoming more and more common (and what happens when rigs roll onto the guardrail / fence, becoming wedged against it or destroying it?), and it would do nothing to allow people to climb back out if they are broke. Also, by smoothing out the obstacle, it allows bikes and ATVs to use the trail instead of making a bypass; a fence would not.

Let me say it again; I don't like the idea of making the trail easier. But this obstacle has become many times more difficult than it ever was over the last few years. Under-equipped rigs will still go down it no matter what kind of signs are posted.

There are many that would like to see the entire trail returned to the difficulty rating that it was years ago. We will always fight to make sure that never happens. But in the case of this one obstacle, I don't think there is really any other choice.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
drtsqrl said:
There are many that would like to see the entire trail returned to the difficulty rating that it was years ago. We will always fight to make sure that never happens. But in the case of this one obstacle, I don't think there is really any other choice.

What was it rated years ago? How many years?

EZ

James K

NO, I'm always like this
drtsqrl said:
I am sympathetic to the guardrail idea, but it would only solve one of the three problems we have. Yes, it would keep 4x4s out of the WSA. But it would not prevent any of the rollovers that are becoming more and more common (and what happens when rigs roll onto the guardrail / fence, becoming wedged against it or destroying it?), and it would do nothing to allow people to climb back out if they are broke. Also, by smoothing out the obstacle, it allows bikes and ATVs to use the trail instead of making a bypass; a fence would not.

Let me say it again; I don't like the idea of making the trail easier. But this obstacle has become many times more difficult than it ever was over the last few years. Under-equipped rigs will still go down it no matter what kind of signs are posted.

what about running the guardrail style thing all the way the bottom? that away it blocks all those other problems.