Pritchett Canyon - Please Read!

roktaxi

Locked Up = More Freedom
Pritchett “road” was constructed in the mid 60’s. BLM supervised the construction of the road with intentions of it being used from Hunter Canyon to the mouth of Pritchett Canyon as a means of a “shortcut” back to Moab during the mineral exploration days. “Babe” Foy was the cat skinner who operated the dozer and Izzy Nelson (Nelson’s Heating & Plumbing, Moab) was among the “crew” that was present. However, it didn’t take long for Mother Nature to reconstruct portions the road. And with the help of more and more 4x4 traffic, has finally evolved to what it is today.

I started using the trail in the mid 80’s and was even quite testy back then. Rocker Knocker, Rock Pile and Yellow Hill could all be done with 30” tires and open differentials, but it was a struggle. Those with limited slips definitely had an advantage.

Pritchett & Rubicon have a lot of similar problems and attributes. Over use and miss use as well as stunning scenery. Friends Of The Rubicon (FOTR) along with the Forest Service, do an outstanding job of monitoring and managing. However, as much as it is overseen, serious problems have still plagued the trail. A temporary closure was enacted recently in order to reassess and control the damage.

Pritchett has no organized group specific to monitoring the trail. The RR4W have done almost nothing to evaluate current and future use. The new club, Moab Friends For Wheelin’, have started some action and hopefully will eventually form some type of regular patrol to assess any damage that may be occurring from improper use. Unless we don’t start a “maintenance” system, we can look forward to “OTHERS” making those decisions for us. And there are only 2 choices that I can see they would consider: turn it into a Cliffhanger situation or CLOSURE.

Last edited:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
What was it rated years ago? How many years?

EZ

It's always been a 4+ or higher since I have run it, but it was probably "over-rated" at one time. I first ran the trail in 1992 or 93 in a Samurai with 32" tires and a LSD in back, and did all the obstacles without assistance. I also drove up the obstacle in question with the same rig, again without assistance. We (RR4W) changed the rating to "5" maybe 3-4 years ago.

what about running the guardrail style thing all the way the bottom? that away it blocks all those other problems.

I'm not sure how that would help get people back up the obstacle, or allow ATVs and bikes easier passage... please explain.

Jeff

James K

NO, I'm always like this
drtsqrl said:

I'm not sure how that would help get people back up the obstacle, or allow ATVs and bikes easier passage... please explain.

Jeff

I realize they use it but, I personally don't think they should be using this trail.

I still am confused as to why this needs to be made easier for people who knowingly go in there ill prepared.

I have atv's and can't see a reason to do such a trail on them.

That being said..............I believe with a few guys pulling on a strap to get the first atv up it, they could then do the same to get the other atv's up or winch said atv's up. As for motorcycles this ledge/ledges is no higher then say having to load a motorcycle into the back of a pickup with no ramp.

I guess what I am saying is why aren't people using common sense to solve a problem(ie; getting through a tough spot) then finding the easy way through a problem(ie; talking the easy route to avoid said obsticle).

I guess it like having to pay insurance...................we(the many) pay more for insurance to cover the few(the a-holes without or the reckless).

I'm not faulting what you are doing to solve this problem and keep the trail accessable to my friends and family and me................I..................am just irritated by the fact that things have to be changed to keep the stupid safe.

drtsqrl and greenjeep I do appreciate all you guys do and respect the fact that you are working for us.

Thank You

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Originally posted by James K

I realize they use it but, I personally don't think they should be using this trail.

I still am confused as to why this needs to be made easier for people who knowingly go in there ill prepared.

I have atv's and can't see a reason to do such a trail on them.

I wish that all users, 4x4s, ATVs, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, and hikers, would not attempt trails that are over their ability. But it will never happen, we all know that, and the damage will continue. And by creating artificial ways to keep these people out, are we really any better than the greenie who wants to keep all motorized users out? Pritchett is a beautiful and world-famous trail, and people come from thousands of miles to run it. While I agree it should remain challenging, it's pretty tough to say "you and your rig don't measure up, so go find somewhere else to play".

Originally posted by James K

I'm not faulting what you are doing to solve this problem and keep the trail accessable to my friends and family and me................I..................am just irritated by the fact that things have to be changed to keep the stupid safe.

drtsqrl and greenjeep I do appreciate all you guys do and respect the fact that you are working for us.

Thank you, we appreciate it. Like I said in my first post, sometimes you have to do things that you really don't want to do.

Originally posted by Rocktaxi

Pritchett has no organized group specific to monitoring the trail. The RR4W have done almost nothing to evaluate current and future use. The new club, Moab Friends For Wheelin’, have started some action and hopefully will eventually form some type of regular patrol to assess any damage that may be occurring from improper use.

MFFW has a signed "volunteer agreement" with the BLM to monitor Pritchett and perform routine maintenance. But our club is small, and I am one of a very few within the club who is either set up or willing to run Pritchett on a regular basis. I hope that sometime in the future we can have a more formal program ( but what I really wish is that there would never be the need for it!).

Here's a thought. I know that a lot of RME'ers run the trail whenever you are in Moab. It would help MFFW if you could give us a brief "trail report" after your trips. Let us know if there is any new damage, or other concerns. MFFW could then check it out, and repair/etc as necessary. You could PM either me or greenjeep here on RME, or I'll give you my home phone or email.

Thanks - Jeff

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
drtsqrl said:
Here's a thought. I know that a lot of RME'ers run the trail whenever you are in Moab. It would help MFFW if you could give us a brief "trail report" after your trips. Let us know if there is any new damage, or other concerns. MFFW could then check it out, and repair/etc as necessary. You could PM either me or greenjeep here on RME, or I'll give you my home phone or email.

Thanks - Jeff

Done. I run it several times per year.

I hate to see it get changed--hopefull you leave it 'somewhat' difficult so as to keep some of the riff-raff off the trail--it is still somewhat of a gatekeeper. I just fear getting more and more people that are out of their league on the trail and because of that you'll get more mis-use, bypasses, drunken idiots, and people in over their heads which creates safety concerns. I guess I don't understand whats wrong with having a trail that is extremely difficult....there has to be a way to keep people out of the WSA without paving the trail.

I remember about 7 years ago my buddy had some problems in his Ram Charger and it took him like 6 hours to get winched back up that obstacle. As miserable as it was (I wasn't there but I'm sure it sucked), that is part of the equation. If you do difficult trails--especially trails that are difficult because there is no easy way in or out, you have to be prepared for the concequences. If you're not prepared, well you're going to learn a valuable lesson that needed to be learned anyways. I don't run a hard trail with the illusion of getting out in time to watch my favorite soap opera and walk the dogs if I break something. Part of the fun is the fact that if you do break something, it's going to suck. It's a commitment thing and thats why doing hard trails can be fulfilling.

Cody

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Cody said:
Done. I run it several times per year.

I hate to see it get changed--hopefull you leave it 'somewhat' difficult so as to keep some of the riff-raff off the trail--it is still somewhat of a gatekeeper. I just fear getting more and more people that are out of their league on the trail and because of that you'll get more mis-use, bypasses, drunken idiots, and people in over their heads which creates safety concerns. I guess I don't understand whats wrong with having a trail that is extremely difficult....there has to be a way to keep people out of the WSA without paving the trail.

If you do difficult trails--especially trails that are difficult because there is no easy way in or out, you have to be prepared for the concequences. If you're not prepared, well you're going to learn a valuable lesson that needed to be learned anyways. I don't run a hard trail with the illusion of getting out in time to watch my favorite soap opera and walk the dogs if I break something. Part of the fun is the fact that if you do break something, it's going to suck. It's a commitment thing and thats why doing hard trails can be fulfilling.

Cody

I echo what Cody has said

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Me too! But unfortunately the problem isn't with us... Other people just don't give a rats a$$ about it. You also have to admit, the protected area isn't very well marked, either. At least not the several times I've been on the trail.

But maybe instead of paving it, what about a gaurd rail? Kind of like what you would see on the side of the highway? That and maybe a tall chain link fence behind it. That way it's a fence, so nobody can go through, but there is a gaurd rail to keep roll overs from going into the protected area. Then they can still roll.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
waynehartwig said:
Me too! But unfortunately the problem isn't with us... Other people just don't give a rats a$$ about it. You also have to admit, the protected area isn't very well marked, either. At least not the several times I've been on the trail.

But maybe instead of paving it, what about a gaurd rail? Kind of like what you would see on the side of the highway? That and maybe a tall chain link fence behind it. That way it's a fence, so nobody can go through, but there is a gaurd rail to keep roll overs from going into the protected area. Then they can still roll.

as already noted in the post, the guardrail does not adress the issue of making it possible for ATVs and motorcycles to get out. They will still look for an easier exit. Regardless of how far you run the guardrail, they will do their best to go around it to avoid the serious ledge.

HOw about a compromise using a guardrail and making one side (left side as you are going down) easier - and make it only wide enough for an ATV. This still leaves the right side difficult for those who want to have a significant obstacle. This way, you can completely block access to the off limits area, guide ATVs and Motorcycles to an easier area still within the trail limits, and leave a difficult spot for the rigs who can handle it.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The entrance is in a very narrow canyon (20 feet?), it would be very easy to fence it off. I'm not talking about a wussy rope style fence, I'm talking about a 6' chain link fence with a highway style (railroad ties and metal runners) gaurd rail on the side of the trail.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
waynehartwig said:
The entrance is in a very narrow canyon (20 feet?), it would be very easy to fence it off. I'm not talking about a wussy rope style fence, I'm talking about a 6' chain link fence with a highway style (railroad ties and metal runners) gaurd rail on the side of the trail.

With how I've seen erosional processes in that canyon, I don't think ANYTHING short of a miniature Hoover dam is going to last long term in the bottom of the wash.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
If there is that much erosion, the impact of us being in the canyon should be very small. Why the protected area anyway? Because it is in that wash. Just a question, don't flame me! lol

mbryson

Supporting Member
waynehartwig said:
If there is that much erosion, the impact of us being in the canyon should be very small. Why the protected area anyway? Because it is in that wash. Just a question, don't flame me! lol

Good question. I really don't know the answer to that. Next time you go through there, note the location of some LARGE (1/2 Jeep sized or so) rocks. Then go there again after a decent storm and note how far down the canyon some of those rocks are......(or they could just be buried in sand or something....)

My point is this......Natural forces at the bottom of the canyon (or any wash in the desert areas of Utah for that matter) SIGNIFICANTLY change the shape and feel of the wash area for each storm. We would be challenged to build something that would hold up to that kind of process.

Unfortunately, I think the 'right' solution is what's been outlined (repairing the entry and creating bypasses). It's not my favorite or even my choice, but it seems the wisest over the long term. If people would simply stay on the trail, there wouldn't be this issue (I'd bet most of us do).

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I didn't know that, per say. I've only been in Moab a few times, not every day, over the last 30 years like some. I grew up around the San Rafael swell (Huntington, Helper, Ferron), and it was pretty dry. There were some times that a storm would come through and wipe out roads and what not, but not very often. So I figured Moab would have been about the same.

mbryson

Supporting Member
waynehartwig said:
I didn't know that, per say. I've only been in Moab a few times, not every day, over the last 30 years like some. I grew up around the San Rafael swell (Huntington, Helper, Ferron), and it was pretty dry. There were some times that a storm would come through and wipe out roads and what not, but not very often. So I figured Moab would have been about the same.

I'd think Moab is very similar to the San Rafael Swell areas. I'd bet you'd average about 2 storms per year that would change the canyon pretty significantly, if you're paying attention.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
waynehartwig said:
Me too! But unfortunately the problem isn't with us... Other people just don't give a rats a$$ about it.

I agree 1000000%. Thats why I question leveling hte obstacle to make it easy for people to get in and out--thus increasing the amount of traffic into the area.

Cody

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
roktaxi said:
Pritchett “road” was constructed in the mid 60’s. BLM supervised the construction of the road with intentions of it being used from Hunter Canyon to the mouth of Pritchett Canyon as a means of a “shortcut” back to Moab during the mineral exploration days. “Babe” Foy was the cat skinner who operated the dozer and Izzy Nelson (Nelson’s Heating & Plumbing, Moab) was among the “crew” that was present. However, it didn’t take long for Mother Nature to reconstruct portions the road. And with the help of more and more 4x4 traffic, has finally evolved to what it is today.

I started using the trail in the mid 80’s and was even quite testy back then. Rocker Knocker, Rock Pile and Yellow Hill could all be done with 30” tires and open differentials, but it was a struggle. Those with limited slips definitely had an advantage.

Pritchett & Rubicon have a lot of similar problems and attributes. Over use and miss use as well as stunning scenery. Friends Of The Rubicon (FOTR) along with the Forest Service, do an outstanding job of monitoring and managing. However, as much as it is overseen, serious problems have still plagued the trail. A temporary closure was enacted recently in order to reassess and control the damage.

Pritchett has no organized group specific to monitoring the trail. The RR4W have done almost nothing to evaluate current and future use. The new club, Moab Friends For Wheelin’, have started some action and hopefully will eventually form some type of regular patrol to assess any damage that may be occurring from improper use. Unless we don’t start a “maintenance” system, we can look forward to “OTHERS” making those decisions for us. And there are only 2 choices that I can see they would consider: turn it into a Cliffhanger situation or CLOSURE.

Thanks for the breif history, amazing what RME'ers can pull out of their heads. :) I wish I could be more active in the land-use scene in Moab, but geography prohibits. Thankfully we have MFFW & RR4W to make things happen in the area. Pat yourselves on the back down there! :D

roktaxi

Locked Up = More Freedom
Those that don’t want to change ANY aspect of the trail are not thinking realistically. If the canyon “deteriorates” to the level of ONLY (beyond) extreme vehicles can navigate, only 1 of 2 scenarios WILL eventually happen. It will become an exclusive elitist trail that cannot be monitored properly and BLM may have to choose to close it or “fix” it. Either way, it’s not a good future for the trail. If the trail could at least be accessed by a substantially equipped vehicle, better monitoring of damage and misuse could be done. Although the words of “monitoring” may not come easy for some, it’s a much better alternative than what could eventually happen if no maintenance or monitoring took place. Those that are liking the way that the trail is now will not be singing the same tune when (not if) it becomes so difficult that only a select few with unlimited funds to build such a rig could have access. As Jeff mentioned, his (very capable) rig can negotiate the canyon, but at last report, he had to use a winch to get back out. Winch anchors should be one of the first items to be dealt with. As far as bypasses and other maintenance issues, those will have to be assessed so as not to alter but to STABILIZE the existing, traditional trail. Some compromise will have to be negotiated in order to preserve the future of the trail.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I agree, something has to be done. I agree that winch anchors would be a great thing. I agree that the trail is changing--some of that change is natural and some is not. I think overall, the level of capability of 4x4 vehicles as a whole has increased which puts more and more people on trails like Pritchett and thats why we see increased use. paving the entrance puts even more people on it in rigs that shouldn't be on it.

I'm just being a baby cause I don't want it to change and I know nobody else does either. I just wish there was an alternative. It can't be that hard to patrol--I mean my rig is low budget--I mean cheap ass--and I can drive from the parking lot to the rockpile in under 30 minutes. People need to realize that if you're going to do one of the premier difficult 4x4 trails in the world, you need to either have a vehicle that can do the trail, have a winch---or at the very least a couple vehicles of both classificiations in your group. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wishes there was a way let only propperly equipped groups/rigs on the trail. In my eye, a big sign at the drop off that says

"This is Pritchett Canyon, it is an extreme trail with extreme terrain designed for experienced and well prepaired vehicles. There is no easy way out in any direction--if you can't make it out the other side, then you have to come back up these Ledges of Despair which you won't be able to cause you sucked to bad to make it through the trail in the first place"

would keep me from feeling bad about people who got stuck. And then a couple heavy cables to keep people form making it down into the WSA. I'm sure there is a way to anchor a big ass cable so that it can't be damaged. If they roll into the cables then it will mess up there vehicle and cables have some give--like a safety net!! Anyways...

Not that it matters, but if I lived there I would be more than willing to patrol the trail a couple times a week.

Cody

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
As it is, most of the trail (up to rocker knocker) can be run with a stock Wrangler, if the gate keeper was paved over. So if that happened, there would be tons of traffic on the trail, in both directions! and there isn't that many places to pull over to let people by when they have decided they can't finish the trail and need to go back. So you would need to address the issue of providing turn outs, or people will be running over everything to get out of the way, making the trail basically two car widths.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I agree... Signage can't hurt. RME's signs up CON and RS are short and sweet, and I bet they were cheap or even donated. I would vote do something like that first, try it, then if it doesn't work, try something else. The sign would also be a lot cheaper, and enviro friendly than paving the entrance. Even if it was paved, I bet it wouldn't keep people out of the protected area anyway. That steep, tall, sandy hill is very inviting....

Personally, I pucker each time I drive in on that obstacle. I just don't do well in off camber situations, looking down into a canyon....But I'm a *****... :rofl: However, I don't want to take that away....

Last edited: