GMC / Chevy Project Dual Sport ; 1998 GMC Sierra

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Well, here we go! I still haven't finished assembling the front axle, but I have decided to tear into the truck. I've taken a few days off and now is the time to get this rolling! It's in the garage, the stock 10 Bolt rear end is out and the rear shackle flip is in progress. Removing everything was fun, the stock shackle-to-frame bracket wasn't all that bad, but a torch helped make short work of the rivets. A couple of the bolts from the spring to the shackle were very stubborn, I ended up cutting off one the bolt with a sawzall, drilling out the bushing, then using the torch to burn out the remaining rubber. I hadn't planned on replacing the bolts and bushings, so I made a quick order with OffRoad Design this morning for some replacement urethane bushings and grease-able bolts, plus a new pair of shackles. Hopefully they will get here tomorrow. In the mean time, I can finish bolting on the shackle flip, installing the extended rear brake line, etc.

I haven't started on the IFS removal yet, I was hoping to get the rear done first. Since I will now be waiting on parts, I suppose I should start on the IFS Delete!

Greg

Admin
Progress so far... all the rear end. Really wish I had ordered the replacement shackles, bushings and bolts first! If I would have had them on hand, I'd be bolting up the rear 14 Bolt axle!

P9040029-L.jpg

P9040024-L.jpg

P9040034-L.jpg

P9040027-L.jpg

P9040028-L.jpg

P9080032-L.jpg

P9080031-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
I also picked up a pair of super-beefy diff covers from Ruff Stuff... these things are crazy thick. They're heavy! Currently sitting in the sun, with the paint drying. I also picked up a pair of Lube Locker gaskets, to make sure they don't leak and if I do ever have to remove a diff cover, it will be simple to reinstall without having to scrape off a paper gasket.

P9040025-L.jpg

LT.

Progress so far... all the rear end. Really wish I had ordered the replacement shackles, bushings and bolts first! If I would have had them on hand, I'd be bolting up the rear 14 Bolt axle!

I should have piped up and said something. But, it has always been my experience that it is better to replace every bushing you have to unbolt. I didn't say anything because I thought you might get away with it living in a relatively dry climate and the truck was fairly new. I have never had good luck getting bolts out of the steel sleeves in the bushings.

Good luck with the build. I am excited to see how well it turns out and can't wait until summer when I hope to catch up and see this rig in action.

LT.

Greg

Admin
git r done greg!

:cool: Can't wait to see more.

Looks good :greg:

Thanks guys, more progress tomorrow... off comes the IFS! :freak:

I should have piped up and said something. But, it has always been my experience that it is better to replace every bushing you have to unbolt. I didn't say anything because I thought you might get away with it living in a relatively dry climate and the truck was fairly new. I have never had good luck getting bolts out of the steel sleeves in the bushings.

Good luck with the build. I am excited to see how well it turns out and can't wait until summer when I hope to catch up and see this rig in action.

LT.

I do know better and the first side wasn't all that bad, so I thought I was OK to reuse most everything. The other side was a total PITA and I ended up butchering the bolt, bushing, etc. Honestly it was one thing I over looked, no big deal! It's not like I have a timeline or due-date... my tires are on order and it will probably be about 2 weeks before they get here, so I have plenty of time to wait.

Thanks LT, hopefully it won't be long before we're out bouncing around in the GMC!

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Only because the huge frame hangs down so far! For real 'rock' wheelin, a couple of skid plates would be wise.

You went with a D60 "Just in case"... you might as well add some skids over the vitals. When I had the Tahoe out on the trails I became very aware of how big it really was.

Greg

Admin
Thanks guys! I've considered adding a skidplate or 2 eventually, but for now I've got bigger things to worry about. ;)

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to keep up the speed I started out with. I came down with a pretty bad cold last night and I feel like crap, didn't get much sleep at all last night. It really sucks as I took this week off from work, just to work on the truck! Seems to be my luck these days. It would be great if I could have the axles hanging from the springs by the weekend, but we will see. I think this cold is really going to effect how much work I can get done. :(

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Somethings going around... Well, load up on some robitussin and get to work! Your results may vary. :D

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Looking good Greg!

How you liking the 690?

Best bike I have ever owned, but I'm kind of a rookie to bikes.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I got hit with a mild cold the same night a you, still trying to shake it.

EmergenC is amazing for colds; load up on it. OJ, lots of water and EmergenC, an NyQuil at night.. Get feelin better.

Greg

Admin
Looks good! Feel better.

Somethings going around... Well, load up on some robitussin and get to work! Your results may vary. :D

I got hit with a mild cold the same night a you, still trying to shake it.

EmergenC is amazing for colds; load up on it. OJ, lots of water and EmergenC, an NyQuil at night.. Get feelin better.

Thanks guys, I'm still sick but feeling much better today... at least I got some sleep last night! Yesterday was rough, I had the NyQuil hangover... had a hard time operating at all, but still got a lot done. I love EmergenC, had to buy more on Tuesday! Zicam is also amazing stuff, but it tastes nasty!

I've made some great progress so far today, almost all the IFS crap is gone... one more bolt holding the diff in, but it will be gone soon. The torch, Sawzall and sledge have all been invaluable! The cleanup work of grinding down all the old IFS brackets is something I'm really not looking forward to, that is going to take some time. Pictures coming soon.

Looking good Greg!

How you liking the 690?

Best bike I have ever owned, but I'm kind of a rookie to bikes.

Hey Cory, good to see you slumming around here! I love the 690, it's a beast! Did you see my first ride on it? - http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?91087-New-bike-first-real-test!

I need to get back out again soon, it's either been too hot or I just haven't had time to ride it. :(