GMC / Chevy Project Dual Sport ; 1998 GMC Sierra

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Looking forward to seeing it!! I like getting boxes from ORD, have to order some more stuff soon. Post pics!!

More pics coming! I actually got more parts today as well, forgot my extended brake lines when I was up there last week. I ordered them Monday evening and they were here today (Wednesday) at Noon!

Whoa! That is a lot of parts! I am extreamly jealous you went to Off Road Designs shop in person. I have wanted to take a gander at what they do and how they do it for years. I can't wait to see how your project comes around.

LT.

Yeah, it was quite the list of parts... lots of stuff needed to make a IFS GM into a capable, solid axle machine and ORD has that stuff! They were great to work with in person and I do love supporting the 'local' businesses. It's going to be fun to put together, I'm looking forward to it!

Those parts look pretty. I'm looking forward to the swap.

You and me both! ;)

Making progress, very cool :cool:

Don't forget I still have that ARB compressor here for you.

Little by little, but I expect to really gain some ground over the next few weeks. I haven't forgotten about the compressor, I figure I will get it shortly after I get you those FZJ knuckles... :ugh: :)

Yahoo now were talking. Can't wait to see more :cool:

More coming right up!

I'm thinking my next rig will be built along these lines.

Oh yeah? I dig your Tacoma!

Greg

Admin
How about some actual tech? :rofl:

Tonight I worked on the hubs, the stock Dana 60 studs and lug nuts are 1/2" and the 14 Bolt has 9/16" studs. Nobody likes mismatching studs and lugs, so I looked into upgrading the Dana 60 to 9/16" studs. It was an easy process, just required buying the right studs and a drill bit. I found this info on Pirate4x4, here - http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768100

I used Dorman studs, sourced at Car-Quest. Part # 610-278.

Drill bit size 39/64th's to open up the hubs just a little.

I did have to special order the odd sized drill bit and the studs, but once I had the needed parts it was simple to do after knocking out the old studs and removing the old rotor. Drill out the hubs, slid the new rotors over and press in the new, larger studs!

P8221162-L.jpg

P8221163-L.jpg

P8221165-L.jpg

P8221166-L.jpg

P8221167-L.jpg

P8221175-XL.jpg

Greg

Admin
Wild. Chevy 60's have 9/16's stock. :D

What springs are you using up front? I think I missed that, if you've already said.

Yeah, you'd think the Ford 60's would have had 9/16's, but.... negative.

I did mention it yesterday, but can do it again for those with ADD... Tuff Country 2" EZ Ride springs. ;) The ORD Solid Axle Conversion adds 3" lift, so I will have 5" total lift in the front.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
There are shiny things here! come AWN

That'll do nicely I think... 2" springs are almost flat still, too, so you should get some good flex out of it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The late 80's Ford front's must have 9/16's because when I bought new 9/16's lug nuts for all corners, they threaded on just fine. :D

Cool to see some parts ready to go on!

Greg

Admin
There are shiny things here! come AWN

That'll do nicely I think... 2" springs are almost flat still, too, so you should get some good flex out of it.

Yeah, I had a pair of EZ ride springs on a Toyota years ago and they were pretty decent. I think they'll be a good fit.

The late 80's Ford front's must have 9/16's because when I bought new 9/16's lug nuts for all corners, they threaded on just fine. :D

Cool to see some parts ready to go on!

Yep, my 60 was an 89 I believe and had 9/16th studs.

I should have said "Early Ford 60's".... It was just the '78-79 Ford 60's that were 1/2", according to that spreadsheet in the above link on Pirate.

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
yeah my later 60 has 9/16 studs so youre correct, my rear is 14 mm though, haha need to get those changed out

cant wait until you get this swap started, its too bad youre so far away!

Greg

Admin
yeah my later 60 has 9/16 studs so youre correct, my rear is 14 mm though, haha need to get those changed out

cant wait until you get this swap started, its too bad youre so far away!

:cool:

It would be nice to have help, but I don't mind working on it by myself. It will just take some time!

LT.

I still geek out on your photos you posted some time ago about the ghost towns in southern Colorado. When we get our full sizes done we should get together and try to hit some of those trails.

LT.

Greg

Admin
I still geek out on your photos you posted some time ago about the ghost towns in southern Colorado. When we get our full sizes done we should get together and try to hit some of those trails.

LT.

I'd love to, I haven't been able to get out on the trail nearly as much this year as I have in the last few years, so I will have a lot of making up to do!

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I had to change the studs on my dana 60 as well so I went to the wrecking yard and got hubs off a TTB 3/4 ton. Cost me $30, which probably is what you paid for the drill bit? Looks good though, all new and shiny.