GMC / Chevy Project Dual Sport ; 1998 GMC Sierra

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Yeah, it's perfectly straight. One side went in fine, the other one went in several turns, then bound up quickly. The only reason I think I will need another drag link is because I'm pretty sure the TRE that bound up won't be coming out! :(

Ah....yep, that can happen. Not that it matters at this point since the end is basically welded in there, but that can be caused something as simple as a chip left over from tapping it--if it's stuck in the threads, it can cause enough hate and discontent to get the threads to gall/seize and make a mad Greg out of you.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Ah....yep, that can happen. Not that it matters at this point since the end is basically welded in there, but that can be caused something as simple as a chip left over from tapping it--if it's stuck in the threads, it can cause enough hate and discontent to get the threads to gall/seize and make a mad Greg out of you.

Too late... :D When I put the pipe wrench and breaker bar on it, I knew it was a done deal. I even had the threads coated with anti-sieze, to make future adjustments easier. It could have been a chip, but it sure felt like there were no threads at all... I really cranked on it! Oh well!

I will probably have you make a new drag link down the road. I'll get you the measurements when I'm ready. :)

Greg

Admin
Dang can't wait to see more! You know you have the makings for a great Four Wheel Camper hauler..... :eek:

I've been thinking about a Four Wheel Camper!! This truck would be awesome with a pop-up camper in the back, might have to keep my eyes open down the road. ;)

Looks sweet Greg can't wait to see it on it's shoes

I'm getting excited to see it with the wheels and tires bolted on, hearing that the tires will be here on Monday gave me a needed boost of motivation to get it wrapped up and ready!

Greg

Admin
Some progress from today, we spent most of the time with friends so my garage time was limited. Got the hydro boost master cyl installed, still have to put the hydro boost PS pump on, pick up some hard brake line parts like a 'T' and an adjustable proportioning valve.

PA200003-L.jpg

And the H2 wheels that have been opened up with a router.

Before -

P9270001-L.jpg

After -

PA200001-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
Great progress! I had to do the same trick with my H2 wheels. :cool:

Thanks Shane! It's coming together QUICK! I thought the router trick was the best option for a smooth surface, it's not perfect but it's plenty close.

Thanks for the updates. It's looking great.

Thanks Bart! It's just about done, I'm getting excited to drive it!

More updates!

Extended brake lines are all hooked up at the axles and hard lines are secured.

Rear driveshaft conversion u-joint is in and driveshaft is bolted back up.

Exhaust is patched up (had to remove the cat because it was in the way of the shackle bracket on the passenger side).

Tires arrived today!! I ran the MTR's and H2 wheels down to the local shop and had them mounted up, then bolted them into the truck! Dropped the truck down on it's tires for the first time in about 6 weeks... and I have to say, it looks GOOD!! It's perfect, pretty tall but not huge. It's a good size and height for what I need out of the truck.

PA220002-XL.jpg

PA220004-XL.jpg

Don't mind the "in the garage" pics... I'm still without brakes. They're not the best, but you get the idea.

PA220013-L.jpg

PA220009-L.jpg

PA220014-L.jpg

PA220011-L.jpg

PA220012-L.jpg

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
that looks sweet, I like the H2 wheels on it. Do you just have to finish the brakes to test drive it?

Greg

Admin
Looks great :greg:

I agree with ya... :p

that looks sweet, I like the H2 wheels on it. Do you just have to finish the brakes to test drive it?

I really like the H2 wheels, wish I had the money to powder coat them a darker color!

The brakes are the biggest thing, but that involves swapping the hydro boost power steering pump, plumbing the hard lines from the master cyl, adding the adjustable proportioning valve and tidying up some of the hard lines. I'm also missing some diff cover bolts, but it should seal for now.

There is a bunch of minor things to wrap up, do a tape-measure alignment in the garage, tightening down all the TRE's, making sure the pitman arm nut is secure, grease the u-joints, fill the diffs and top off the t-case.... and that's really about it. :freak:

I would LOVE to have it driving by this weekend, but I'm headed to Denver tomorrow thru Thursday, then going riding in Moab Fri, Sat & Sunday.... so, we will see. ;)