Quarterly 4x4 Training day - A RockyMountainExtreme event (noob run 3.0)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Glad to see this event thriving-- thanks, noobs!

It's a great event. New guys get some education on a variety of the subjects people who have been around take for granted. And it's good to get exposed to some of the ideas about land-use ethics and philosophy as well. The opportunity to test out your vehicle, get a feel for how it reacts to things, is also a great thing for those new or inexperienced w/4wd... And it's always nice to meet people. :D

R0ckStar

Rock on, be strong
Thanks to everyone involved for having this great event. My brother and I walked in noobs and we learned allot. It was so nice to listen to all of he great information you all had to share.
Thanks also for the great Tread Lightly bag, it will be put to good use on the trail. Looking forward to the next event already!

Rock on, and tread lightly!

jonascalhoun

I had a great time. There was a lot of knowledge given, especially for $20. First up is to get some rock rails, then I can tackle a few other areas of that park to get my feet wet.

And wet it was. Cold too. I kinda felt bad in my comfy WK2 when I saw so many vehicles without doors or tops.
Jeep.jpg
It was great to see what I could do. I'm pretty sure I could have tried a few other lines, but my courage just wasn't there. Next time I'll have at least a set of rock rails, maybe better tires.

And thanks to Terraflex for the bag & hat, and CruiserOutfitters for the shirt (even though I drive a Jeep, I'll still wear it!)

Thanks,
Dan

sixstringsteve

I think the event was a success. Great attendance and everyone had a great attitude about it. It was cool to see so many reps from U4 show up, as well as our new BLM friends. I know Dave wants to continue helping us out with these in the future, which is always a good thing. It was fun watching him drive his T100 all over the course.

It'll take me a couple days, but I'll edit the GoPro footage and get something up on YouTube soon.

A HUGE thanks to John at MMP, Teraflex for so many awesome raffle prizes, Kurt, Stephen, Marc, Davy (and wife), Scott, Jason, Dave from the BLM, U4 reps (I know I'm forgetting someone) and all the attendees. Keep an eye out for the next quarterly training day in the next 3 months or so. Hopefully we'll have some better camping conditions. In about 200 nights of camping in my life, last night was the worst yet, but I still had a blast out there.

Last edited:

nickcoleman

So, glad I didn't come down for the night ... it was nice and comfy in my bed. :rofl:

Thanks everyone for putting this on. I had fun and picked up some good tips. The Miller park is also pretty fun ... even in the mud and rain.

Look forward to next time.

thanks for all your advice and knowladge

My dad and I had a blast with all of you last night. Thanks to all who put this on. Oh my dad is a huge old book nut and was hoping to get Kurt's list of books on Utah's old ghost towns and mining history. We also hope that we can continue to going to a few of these events as we are new to this whole off road Jeeping. There is still so much for us to learn and understand. Again thank you all for who put this on and thanks for the fun time on the coarse. I would have liked to do more but it was a little wet for me. Had fun sinking the tires into the mud and gravel pits. Would have liked to done more on the cement but with it so wet the tires kept spinning a bit. Looking forward to seeing the video on you tube.

Thanks again

Paul

sixstringsteve

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
This was the best Noob training yet. I had a blast testing out the '91 Montero; that thing is incredible. I put it into several situations that I was confident that I could get it through, with a fight anyways. But instead the truck's limited slip, despite mud caked tires, allows for amazing control. It was fun to be able to find out how the truck handles. At one point the driver front tire was 4' airborne.. Chugged right out of it to conquer some sweet slippery hillclimbs. Good times.

Steve, get that video up! At least, send me or post what you got of the Montero. :)

Huge thanks to Teraflex, John W @ MMP, Kurt W, Dave P and Aaron w/ the BLM, Trasharoo, all the other volunteers, and all those who find this event a valuable resource enough to show up and make it a success!

huntinkid

Personally i liked the recovery part the best. Great presentation and alot of things you never would have really thought about. It was great, thanks!

R0ckStar

Rock on, be strong
The recovery portion of the day was a winner here too. Though it would have been fun to do some actual hands on recovery in some situations on the course if the weather was nicer, I still learned a ton.
Of course driving was the best part! Having experienced folks out there helping us noobs understand what to do/not do and spotting us through obstacles we normally would'nt have attempted before this class. I feel that I know my CJ much better now. Thanks to all of the spotters yesterday! Now I can put the Trasharoo to better work on the trails cause I'll get to explore more of it!
Learning about the many different 4x4 organizations around Utah was also of interesting to me. Looking forward to joining up with some of them and learning more.

394446_3047777964272_1557884322_32856671_967514769_n.jpg

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
You guys are depressing me so bad.... I wish we would have been able to get the runner buttoned up before this weekend. Sounds like everyone had a blast and learned a lot. Look forward to seeing you all out there next time!

WillyLin

thanks for the great event !! had fun and learn a lot, I love the to be in class and don't have to do homeworks!!!! too bad the weather wasn't too nice, but still had fun. the wind was really bad at night...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thanks to all those that made it, both attendees and presenters. A big thanks to the many volunteers whom pulled this off. I really enjoyed sharing my classes with you all, hope we can expand on all of those subjects for future classes.

xjtony

This was a fun event. I was quite impressed with the spotting on the course. There were some rigs that were going up and down stuff that was far beyond "factory recommendations" I would say! I'm always amazed at what a stock rig can do whit a good driver and a good spotter. I didn't get many pics out on the course, but I did snap a few of the wind Friday night.

This is supposed to be my dome tent, not a pancake
SN155164.jpg

SN155163.jpg

The blue and yellow sleeping bag is my son, sleeping through getting beat in the back of the head with the tent
SN155161.jpg

One poser flex shot on the sand\gravel hills
SN155165.jpg

A big thanks to the sponsors, especially Teraflex for all of the support! My son has already claimed my Teraflex hat as his own :)