Question regarding insurance and totalling a vehicle

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Fight for every penny tooth and nail. Insurance adjusters are paid to keep the company in profit. NOT to pay out the insured.
Do your own comps if necessary and get as many repair bids as possible and submit the 3 highest.
Also show respect to the adjuster. An angry adjuster is almost as bad as a woman scorned.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Judging by the picture, I'd guess that repairable.

Go to the dealership ASAP. and get a repair estimate before meeting with the adjuster. That way you'll go into it informed of what the repairs could cost.

(FYI, many shops charge for estimates now so you'll be out that $$)

idahoyj

Ive been through this quite a few times.
Ive had them write a 2 party check to me and the lien holder. Ive had them write me a check directly, even though I had a lien holder. Ive had the rig totaled even though I had many thousands of dollars in upgrades added to the value, then bought it back for pennies on the dollar and fixed it myself.
It really depends on who you are dealing with. It is definitely to your advantage that it was her fault.

blznnp

(FYI, many shops charge for estimates now so you'll be out that $$)
Really? That sucks. Last time I got quotes was about a year or so ago and it was free from two or three shops.

that sucks Kevin, but at least everyone is ok. Like everyone said, be prepared for a low ball. My dad had to fight to get then to come up a little. They compared his trucks to trucks that were in crappy condition, tons of miles, and not worth anywhere near what my dad's truck was. He actually found vehicles himself to compare to his truck to give to the adjuster. His agent actually told him to not except the offer his will be given by the adjuster.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Just a month ago I had bids from 4 shops.. Not one even mention charging. That seems like a bad business decision to charge for a bid. You would lose most if built clients I would think.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Glad your okay Kevin.

I also had someone run a red light in front of me in my 93 cummins, her mini van looked about what that car does because I was doing 45 and it was raining. The only advice I can give is be prepared for a low ball offer if they are going to total it. Tell the insurance to pound sand and come back with a better offer, also tell them they owe you a rental car until its fixed. I got shafted on my Dodge even after I put up a fight, they said "we can't find any local to compare it to" No shit they are hard to find, it took me 6 months to find that truck. Cherry 93 12V with a 5 speed and 24mpg..... Ended up having a bent frame and some firewall damage so they scrapped it. So sad, but it was paid for so I can't help you in the check department

That's where I'm afraid I'll be at - I had to hunt a while to find this truck, there aren't a huge number of fifteen year old supercrews out there. If I have to argue the value I'm going to have a tough row to hoe.

Usually, yes. You can go get your own quotes from different shops and get them to match that price (or at least average it). I've got Allstate and I feel they really take care of me every time, even when the other person had Allstate. Who is your insurance through?

We're both Allstate. As a general rule I rank insurance companies right between meter maids and grave robbers, but they were good to us when we needed a new roof and they're making all the right noises this time, so we'll see.

One thing that I would tell you to do is get checked out for medical issues relating to the crash. You may think that you just have a little ache here or there and don't want to. However sometimes those aches or pain will just get worse over time. The farther the time from the crash the less likely they will cover it. and if no pain at all it is good to just have a check up to have a something to fall back and look at if you develop troubles in the following months. Your auto insurance will cover all or most of it. you will have to call them and tell them you want to file a medical claim regarding the accident. Then feel free to make an appt with either a medical or a chiropractor(my preference) doctor. Some chiropractor are also able to prescribe Massage therapy and it is paid for by the insurance. How many years have you paid into your auto insurance? Now is a great time to get something back.

Good advice. So far I have no aches or pains, but I'm ready to head into the doc at the first sign of anything.

Fight for every penny tooth and nail. Insurance adjusters are paid to keep the company in profit. NOT to pay out the insured.
Do your own comps if necessary and get as many repair bids as possible and submit the 3 highest.
Also show respect to the adjuster. An angry adjuster is almost as bad as a woman scorned.

Word.

Really? That sucks. Last time I got quotes was about a year or so ago and it was free from two or three shops.

that sucks Kevin, but at least everyone is ok. Like everyone said, be prepared for a low ball. My dad had to fight to get then to come up a little. They compared his trucks to trucks that were in crappy condition, tons of miles, and not worth anywhere near what my dad's truck was. He actually found vehicles himself to compare to his truck to give to the adjuster. His agent actually told him to not except the offer his will be given by the adjuster.

Yeah, I'm ready to go to battle. I appreciate all the stories and advice, gives me a little better idea of what I might run into and how to counter it. :)

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Ok, so it's not a total loss. He ended up estimating $3500 in repairs, and I got stars in my eyes thinking I was sure I could push him to $4000, and he must have read my face because he went straight to telling me that the only way he can cut a check is to a certified shop, or a two party check with America First on the other half. America First won't sign their half of the check until they know the repairs are done, and I'm busted and can't afford to do them without the check, so off to the collision repair center it goes. Oh well, it'll look better than before I hit the lady and I won't end up taking it in the shorts, so I'm chalking this one up to a win. Thanks for the input, everybody, it made the process much easier for me.

I've been impressed with Allstate so far. Lots of people checking in with me constantly and making sure I'm informed, they're being pretty good to me. For an insurance company, anyway ;).

D

Deleted member 12904

Take several pictures of the truck before it goes into repair. I have had vehicles come back missing skid plates, Plastic trim pieces and just little detail stuff. They claim they where missing when it was dropped off but the pictures will prove otherwise.

Last place I had do work was Carstar in West Valley and they are the worst body shop of all time and even after taking the vehicle back 6 times I still ended up taking it to a different shop to have it fixed correctly.

Kevin B.

Good advice. I did take a bunch more pictures in the yard this morning.

Allstate recommended Shine Collision Repair in Sandy, and since we weren't bickering over money I let them take it there. I did get the adjuster to say that if they end up sucking it can go anywhere else I want to finish the job.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
What do you owe on the truck? can you bring in a little cash added to the check, and pay off the truck??

idahoyj

Take several pictures of the truck before it goes into repair. I have had vehicles come back missing skid plates, Plastic trim pieces and just little detail stuff. They claim they where missing when it was dropped off but the pictures will prove otherwise.

Also, have pictures of the damage, so when you sell it and it comes up on Carfax, you can show them the actual damage, and hopefully not scare the buyer away, simply based on their imagination of the wreck.

Kevin B.

What do you owe on the truck? can you bring in a little cash added to the check, and pay off the truck??

Nope. The way Allstate works with America First, which I don't pretend to fully understand, I'd need to pay off the lien entirely and remove AF from the equation.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
My situation: rolled a Jeep ZJ, booked at $5500 at the time I had a 500 deductible Gieco cut me a check for $5000 and wouldnt give me anything for the lift, tires, lockers, winch bumpers or anything else. I offered to buy the thing back for $500, they told me no, that they would sell it to me for $1500 I told them no, told them they had 48hrs to get it off my street before I get a ticket. Pulled the zj in my garage and over night pulled the suspension, tires bumpers and lockers and put it all back to stock. the next morning they called me and told me they would sell it to me for $550, I agreed and jacked the roof back up with a hi lift, plexiglass windows and put all my stuff back on it and wheeled it for a couple more years. their was no lien but from what I understand they send a check with both your name and the banks name and both have to sign. the bank pays off their part and gives you whats left.

maveric

Crawler Collecter
Glad they are taking care of you. I deal with them on occasion, and they seem decent to work with. If the shop hasn't started repairs on the vehicle, I would ask around for a reputable shop. I have had customers that have had work done at sub-standard repair shops, that were not happy with the work done, and brought the vehicle to me to fix it correctly. On 2 occasions, the insurance companies would not pay the second shop to fix it, stating that "if the customer isn't happy with the work done, and since we already paid them to do the repairs, the customer has to take the vehicle to the original shop and have them fix it again, otherwise, they are responsible for all additional repair costs."

An insurance company can not tell you where to have the repairs done at, it is against the law. BUT, they can "recommend" a shop. A word of caution, **some** "preferred shops" get the work because they use aftermarket parts, and give discounts to the insurance companies.
I guess what I am saying is to shop around for the best repair shop. The insurance company will probably issue the check to you and the shop, since the truck has a lien holder on it.

Kevin B.

Glad they are taking care of you. I deal with them on occasion, and they seem decent to work with. If the shop hasn't started repairs on the vehicle, I would ask around for a reputable shop. I have had customers that have had work done at sub-standard repair shops, that were not happy with the work done, and brought the vehicle to me to fix it correctly. On 2 occasions, the insurance companies would not pay the second shop to fix it, stating that "if the customer isn't happy with the work done, and since we already paid them to do the repairs, the customer has to take the vehicle to the original shop and have them fix it again, otherwise, they are responsible for all additional repair costs."

The adjuster told me if I wasn't pleased with the work done by the original shop they'd be happy to pay any other shop of my choosing to get it done right. Are you in the business?

maveric

Crawler Collecter
Just a month ago I had bids from 4 shops.. Not one even mention charging. That seems like a bad business decision to charge for a bid. You would lose most if built clients I would think.

The reason some shops are charging now is because of the people that repeatedly get a free estimate, turn it in, get the money, and don't fix the car. Almost all shop adjusters are paid employees, some are commission paid, but the shop still has to pay them. If an adjuster spends an hour writing a sheet for a customer that is wasting their time, instead of for a customer that is serious about getting the job done, they are losing money. Most shops that charge for the estimate, deduct it off the final repair bill. Usually the people that are willing to pay for the estimate, get the job done there anyway.

maveric

Crawler Collecter
The adjuster told me if I wasn't pleased with the work done by the original shop they'd be happy to pay any other shop of my choosing to get it done right. Are you in the business?
Yes, have been since '92. I deal with a lot of insurance companies on a daily basis. Some good to work with, some I would just as well tell them to pound sand. That being said, Allstate is one of the better companies. I just finished a rather large ($$) repair on a 2014 Impala. The adjuster that I worked with was very good about making sure I was able to get the parts I needed without any hassle.