Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Got it back a couple days ago. Before:

20140827_100637_zpsqv19zkqb.jpg

20140827_100712_zpsmsimpcaj.jpg

20140827_100734_zpszjsoid2r.jpg

After:

20140918_131052_zpsupuctlgk.jpg

20140918_131102_zpsgvfsz1yq.jpg

Not too bad. Shine's customer service was great, with good communication and near daily calls letting me know the progress. Can't say as much for their techs - they tried to give it back to me with a really crooked bumper and headlights they hadn't even bothered to aim, I had to make them take it back a couple times to get right. But it's home now, with a nice shiny front end that looks even shinier compared to the rest of the truck, which is still dinged and scratched up - that's probably going to start bugging me. How much is a quick strip and spray at Maaco or wherever, or is that a waste of money?

Last edited:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I would NOT do a Maaco job on a car you want to keep for more than a month... shitty prep work, cheap paint and employees that don't give a damn. You'd be better off paying someone to buff and wax it to give the old paint new life.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
You'd be better off paying someone to buff and wax it to give the old paint new life.

Is this what it takes to get rid of pin striping? What type of establishment would I need to go to to have this done in SLC? Recommendations?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Is this what it takes to get rid of pin striping? What type of establishment would I need to go to to have this done in SLC? Recommendations?

Depends on how deep the scratches are, but for most scratches it'll do the job. Most body shops are capable of the work, but it's pretty labor-intensive which means $$$. I don't have any recommendations, find a great body shop and see what they can do for you.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
That truck will be a base clear. You should be able to buff out most scratches if they are not through the clear. Anything into the color or primer/sealer layer will still show. A good detail shop (confused why Shine didn't offer you this option but you could likely get them to help you out?) should be able to clean your truck up to a certain degree. I would assume you just have fresh clear on the fenders, hood and bumper trim piece?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I would assume you just have fresh clear on the fenders, hood and bumper trim piece?

What do you mean when you say the truck is a "base clear", is that opposed to a single stage? I don't know much about auto paint.

Just the new parts have new paint, if that's what you're asking.

idahoyj

You can buff a single stage just the same as a base/clear, as long as its NOT a metallic or pearl color.
It looks like your truck is just a basic black color? I would not be surprised if they panted the new parts with a single stage. It was pretty common when I worked in the paint department in a body shop.