Rappelling Medieval Chamber in Moab - Memorial Day 2012

sixstringsteve

Before the Memorial Day RME BBQ this year, Davy took a group of me, my brothers, and a friend down Medieval Chamber. Thank you Davy, we had an amazing time. Here's a video of the short trip. Nothing like starting the day at 5 AM with a hike.

[youtube]oM9e7lOygQg[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM9e7lOygQg

It has ads linked to the video, so it is not viewable from a mobile device unless your phone/tablet is set to interact with the web as a PC instead of an android/iOS device. I guess that's the price I pay for having others' music in my videos.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

it was awesome. I'm not going to lie, the second rappel was straight up scary. It was one of the top 5 times i've been scared in my life. If I had been able to use both lines, it wouldn't have been a big deal. Knowing that I'd die if I let go made things a little shaky. The first rappel was amazing. The second one was about 100' straight down. I'd totally do it again, but only if Davy, or someone as careful as him, was there to oversee it all.

blznnp

how many times have you rappelled before this? that second one looks pretty crazy. I have to say, reading your trip reports and see the photos, i am envious of how much you get out and explore utah. makes me really miss being a scout and hiking/back packing around washington

sixstringsteve

how many times have you rappelled before this? that second one looks pretty crazy. I have to say, reading your trip reports and see the photos, i am envious of how much you get out and explore utah. makes me really miss being a scout and hiking/back packing around washington

I had rappelled about 3 times before this. When there's someone at the bottom, they can pull on the rope and stop anyone from falling, so it's really safe. But when you're the first one down, there's nobody down there to tug on the rope. I was able to keep my cool and relax, but I know my wife would have freaked out.

I do get out a lot, it's been a fun year. I'm pretty lucky to have a work schedule that lets me spend my vacation time out exploring Utah. There's nothing I'd rather spend my time doing.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I REALLY want to learn to repell now!

Find a good guide and go. Davy and I were the only 2 who had rappelled before. It was the first time for the other 3. Talk about a big 1st rappel! It's not hard to do if you have a good guide who knows what he's doing and double and triple checks everything. The hard part is relaxing and having the guts to do it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I have to say, reading your trip reports and see the photos, i am envious of how much you get out and explore utah.

steve is pretty much a jedi when it comes to going out and doing stuff, this much is apparent.

my brother mentioned recently that we should get into rappelling. one of his coworkers is really into it and could help us out but he also has a bottle in his hand 24/7 so i told him i'll think about it... :eek:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
but i like tv... there are at least a handful of programs that are worthwhile:

walking dead
falling skies
ultimate fighter
xtreme 4x4
trucks

i still get out quite a bit cause i don't like sitting around too much.

throw away your TV and you'll find PLENTY of time to get out and live life outside. :)

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Awesome. I haven't been on a rope since Boy Scouts, I really want to build some skills so I can start doing stuff like this.