Northern Utah Rattlesnake (5mile) 8/10/13

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
Rattlesnake (5mile) 8/10/13 [ meet 10AM at the Chevron ]

i'm throwing together a run up rattlesnake on the 10th for anyone who's interested.

so far i have a small group of 3-4 with slightly-highly modified rigs.

anyone is welcome.

meet @ the chevron at 10 AM saturday morning.

we will be to the parking lot around 11ish.

Last edited:

leemastergt

Might be able to make it out that day. All depends on when I wheel the week before and after. Can't go every single weekend because the wife wants help with things around the house.

blznnp

I should be able to make it, just waiting to see if we can get a babysitter for my wife to go do her thing in the morning.

dbach

is rattlesnake very rough ? just got a new jk unlimited would like to try it out but don't want anything too rough yet. how long does it take to run ?

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
is rattlesnake very rough ? just got a new jk unlimited would like to try it out but don't want anything too rough yet. how long does it take to run ?
Rattlesnake is a good hour and a half to three hours of fun if you go explore the many historical mine shafts. It would be nice to have at least 33" tires and some rock sliders for that trail. At least one locker, min 35" tires and a winch is recommended for constrictor (which starts at the famous obstacle Waynes World)...... otherwise you will be in an area that your rig shouldn't be in and that only leads to dodging the obstacles on the trail which is not recommended. The area supports lots of trail driving on the mining roads and although "snakes" is famous for the extreme 4x4 trails (hence the website name) there are weeks worth of fun to be had in a typical stockish 4x4 SUV out there. Basic use of a GPS and a small group of rigs and you could explore lots of cool existing roads out there... Asking questions (like you are), knowing the trail before you enter and even walking/hiking the whole thing is part of the sport and a great way to stay involved if your unsure.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'

rattlesnake can be relatively easy-hard depending on what lines u wanna hit. i play up there in my stock toyota on 32's all the time with no sliders and open difs.

i can only make it up constrictor so far before i need to turn around though. rattlesnake up to waynes world isn't to rough.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
rattlesnake can be relatively easy-hard depending on what lines u wanna hit. i play up there in my stock toyota on 32's all the time with no sliders and open difs.

i can only make it up constrictor so far before i need to turn around though. rattlesnake up to waynes world isn't to rough.

Imagine doing the first rock garden on the right in rattlesnake before the bypass on the left was got driven on because someone couldn't make it... that's the caliber rig that "should" be out on that trail. Then imagine making it up WW which is the gate keeper to constrictor and that is the caliber rig that "should" be going up to eagles nest. Just saying, if you have a trail rig then know its limits otherwise you'll widen the trail so a Subaru will end up there eventually... UT offers thousands of miles of trails for lesser built rigs with no lockers, but extreme rock trails usually requires them for a reason :D. (Rattlesnake is rated 3 out of 5, Constrictor is 5 out of 5 difficulty... no way an open/open rig would make it on the actual trail)

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
so, if i dont have lockers and min of 35's i shouldnt go up and enjoy the trail because im not on the hardcore rock gardens that were the initial trail?

i completely understand not widening the trail but it is already established enough for me to go through with my stock rig, so i'm going up it and am in NO WAY widening the trail, AND i go for the hardest lines i can possibly push my rig up. :thumbs:

and thats why i stop where i do at constrictor, i cant make it up without going off-trail therefore i turn around.

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
so, if i dont have lockers and min of 35's i shouldnt go up and enjoy the trail because im not on the hardcore rock gardens that were the initial trail?

Yep, that's exactly what trail ratings were designed for (you can always hike and enjoy the trail before you drive it).

Also, a one way in trail limits the vehicle traffic going in and out... if you turn around, you will now make it a two way trail effectively making the traffic X2 and that is what is trying to be limited. There is a winch point at Eagles Nest so you can make your way out of the trail in the correct direction.

i completely understand not widening the trail but it is already established enough for me to go through with my stock rig, so i'm going up it and am in NO WAY widening the trail, AND i go for the hardest lines i can possibly push my rig up.

and thats why i stop where i do at constrictor, i cant make it up without going off-trail therefore i turn around.

I know you don't feel like you’re widening the trail, but more and more tracks will eventually make the trail wider (or a side-by-side or quad will follow you)... and if you turn around in a section that was only meant for a jeep sized vehicle there is inevitably a bit of widening going on. It’s a super hard situation now since the trail is already ruined in many key spots that would have normally kept 60% of the drivers out.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for people going out and challenging themselves on an extreme trail and It sounds like your right there getting out and doing what ya need to be doing to tackle the trails. Just be careful where ya drive and who ya bring because most typical rigs shouldn't be in there unless they are extremely equipped or extremely experienced. I'm just trying to promote 4wheeling education to topics I had to learn about myself and hopefully the word spreads and the knowledge circle grows. There is a def a huge difference in difficulties in offroad riding and what I keep seeing is that anything that is remotely hard gets diminished because the masses of lesser built rigs want to go wheel it... when in actuality there are thousands & thousands of miles of less hard trails to have fun on and only a handful (that's right a handful) of extreme trails to even attempt in this state.

Last edited:

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
i see where you're coming from and you're prob right, some rigs have no business being out there.

myself, i will stay on the trail as much as possible and aim for the the most difficult obstacles possible. going around ANYTHING for me is a last resort.

i know i'm still new to the offroad world but i try to do my part to limit trail damage and widening. i also have a better understanding of what to look for and avoid after attending the training days (thanx steve).

Tom95YJ

Tom @ Artec
I dont know if i am reading the correct your saying my xj does not belong on constrictor cause I only have 33's and 1 locker. The only thing I have not done on constrictor is eagles nest , nor do I plan on it until I get a front locker and an Exocage constrictor is alot like the trails I wheeled on when I lived back east.

BTT: I'll have to see what my wife has planned this weekend before I can commit to wheeling.

Last edited:

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I disagree with you a bit, Jinx. I have had my xj, 33's, open diffs, to eagles nest multiple times while staying on the trail. Trail ratings are often made to the lowest common denominator. A moron in a jeep may need 35's dual lockers, sliders, and a winch to do rattle snake. however, an experienced, well educated driver could get up there in a stock vehicle fairly easy and stay on trail.

Additionally, if one never drives on trails more difficult than the vehicle is recommended for, then our experience/ability would never increase.

Additionally, additionally, even extreme trails driven by extreme buggies are changed/destroyed/ruined by the buggies themselves. Eagles nest, Pritchett Canyon, Metal Masher, etc all change on a regular basis. One buggy spinning a tire can create a huge hole before any rock.