Northern Utah Rattlesnake (5mile) 8/10/13

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
dont get too bent out of shape on what rig ya wheel or the tire size!

I dont know if i am reading the correct your saying my xj does not belong on constrictor cause I only have 33's and 1 locker. The only thing I have not done on constrictor is eagles nest , nor do I plan on it until I get a front locker and an Exocage constrictor.
Yeah, you probably aren't reading it correct, its not what ya bring its how ya wheel... some obsticles you just know people won't make without the right equipment. (such as a winch at the nest if you don't make it)

This was said... (emphasis on the "experienced part")
Don't get me wrong... I'm all for people going out and challenging themselves on an extreme trail and It sounds like your right there getting out and doing what ya need to be doing to tackle the trails. Just be careful where ya drive and who ya bring because most typical rigs shouldn't be in there unless they are extremely equipped or extremely experienced.

This is what I said to the new guy with a JK... (emphasis on the words Nice to have & Recommendation)
Rattlesnake is a good hour and a half to three hours of fun if you go explore the many historical mine shafts. It would be nice to have at least 33" tires and some rock sliders for that trail. At least one locker, min 35" tires and a winch is recommended for constrictor (which starts at the famous obstacle Waynes World)...... otherwise you will be in an area that your rig shouldn't be in and that only leads to dodging the obstacles on the trail which is not recommended.

Both comments were specific replies that I think (only one voice have you) are valid in terms of running "snakes". It’s open to interpretation what rig ya take... also relative to a rig make model and size ei. a willys or sami on 31's or 33's is a big rig... a f350 with 30's or 31's is a small relative to the chassis break over point and turning radius (although I would rock it...hahaha).

Last edited:

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
well, i was planning on having a welded 3rd in the rear of my yota for this one, pulled the 3rd from another axle i have and the gears are chewed up. :confused:

chances are i'll be rockin the open difs.

ricsrx

Its unfortunate that rattlesnakes doesn't get a flash flood or two per year to change it up a little, even thou I cant do the nest, the rest of it has gotten a lot easier. or maybe I have learned how to drive. Ryan are you going to make it out Saturday, I was hoping for guidance to the new trail!

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
The obstacle's on constrictor called: wayne's world, wolverine, Brittany's box, The Fang, Radiator Rapids and Eagles Nest seem to be passable when you have at least one locker minimum from what I've seen, but they all seem to have some sort of bypass's now :(... soooo, you might not even know you were bypassing the actual trail and you may think you were actually doing all the obstacle and in fact not (and that's not considering the fact it may be wet many parts of the year). If you want to run the trail and enjoy conquer it the right way, my perspective is you should run the trail in its entirety. I've heard too many people say to me that the snakes trails are a cakewalk and I just think to myself there is no way they ran it the right way!!!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I think I've taken every hard line on Constrictor except the Nest and Wolverine (and I was avoiding Wolverine because I didn't know if it was the real trail or not), but which are Brittany's Box and The Fang? I haven't heard of those either.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Its unfortunate that rattlesnakes doesn't get a flash flood or two per year to change it up a little, even thou I cant do the nest, the rest of it has gotten a lot easier. or maybe I have learned how to drive. Ryan are you going to make it out Saturday, I was hoping for guidance to the new trail!
I know the best trails always run in the wash cause when you get a good run off during a quick spring the trail gets better and better... but most of that area is primarily part of the network of mining roads so most of the trail is on a graded road. I'm actually not 100% sure on my plans this weekend... I usually try to make it out there at least one day on the weekend, but I'll know better come Friday afternoon.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
so I can complete rattlesnake and turn around and come back down not going any further. jeep is too new to get body damage yet

For sure. You'll climb a tailings pile that is really the end of Rattlesnake, and you can turn around and catch dirt roads in every direction from the top. You really should park your Jeep and jump in with somebody continuing up though, Constrictor is fun too.

leemastergt

Since there seems to be an issue with trail maintenance, is there not some way to organize an event where signs could be planned showing the actual route, and routes that should not be taken? Pretty much every trail in Moab has signs in place that show the do's and don'ts ( as well as leaving certain places open for interpretation).
And as far as the rigs that should or should not be running the trail... Why are bypasses so harmful? IF properly maintained they would provide more people the chance to get out in the wilderness. Who are we to say they should be out enjoying the things that we can because their vehicles are differently built? Again, IF these parts of the trails that make it easier for them are properly maintained so as to keep the tree huggers happy. I'm ASSuming that's Jinx's issues with the trail already? He's afraid that it could be shut down? Just a few thoughts.

sswens1

There is a possibility I can make it if things line up right at work but right now Its looking more like Sunday is going to be my window of opportunity. Ill see you guys out there if things change

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Since there seems to be an issue with trail maintenance, is there not some way to organize an event where signs could be planned showing the actual route, and routes that should not be taken? Pretty much every trail in Moab has signs in place that show the do's and don'ts ( as well as leaving certain places open for interpretation).
And as far as the rigs that should or should not be running the trail... Why are bypasses so harmful? IF properly maintained they would provide more people the chance to get out in the wilderness. Who are we to say they should be out enjoying the things that we can because their vehicles are differently built? Again, IF these parts of the trails that make it easier for them are properly maintained so as to keep the tree huggers happy. I'm ASSuming that's Jinx's issues with the trail already? He's afraid that it could be shut down? Just a few thoughts.

DO = Stay on the trail no matter how hard it is.
DON'T = Drive around obstacles or take existing bypass’s if you can't make it.

Even more then it just being completely shut down, I'm afraid of it becoming too easy and then legit people being dumbed as extreme wheelers driving "off trail" for wheeling on the original hard stuff... The biggest issue out there would be if endangered species or fragile vegetation came into play... then no one would have any say and within hours all of 5mile pass would be shut down. (thankfully this is desert terrain with no impact)

Trail signs are great trail initiatives and work well too, but things get damaged and stolen so that's usually a lost cause after a few weeks or months (search both topics on here and you will see lots of hits). I have spent hours and hours researching the area and creating maps and still feel like it’s a big mystery out there… but in ways you just have to get over the hurdles and stay within the rules BLM has set for the mass’s (private and public).

Some planned trail maintenance projects (again many threads on this too) is just like picking up after someone else's mess... would you go over to someone else's house and leave empty beer cans everywhere, leave the kitchen dirty with dishes or leave the grill in shambles if you were the guest chef? Not that anyone specific wants to regulate who recreates in nature out there, but even at amusement park’s they have signs that say "you must be this tall to ride this ride" no different for off-roading the basic guidelines (and trail rating system) are there for a reason (trail wear impact, safety, enjoyment factor, environmental… just to name a few).

I know that whatever groups help discover and created the original trail (and I've talked with a few) planned it originally to NOT be passable without min 35's and two lockers... that was a great start, but now some people don't even know the obstacles because they are over grown with grass and weeds cause everyone goes around them. Or rather the bypass's look more predominate than the actual trail does now. It’s no mystery that the decently hard trail's draw the mass's cause it challenges you and we all know that the abundance of easier trails get written off and not used as much by the appropriate audience (heck that why I moved to UT and started acquiring multiple vehicles cause you get a diverse set of trails).

Just some more positive food for thought.

ricsrx

I know the best trails always run in the wash cause when you get a good run off during a quick spring the trail gets better and better... but most of that area is primarily part of the network of mining roads so most of the trail is on a graded road. I'm actually not 100% sure on my plans this weekend... I usually try to make it out there at least one day on the weekend, but I'll know better come Friday afternoon.

If you do make it i would like a tour of the new trail, I dont need to drive it but i would like to look it over.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
i mentioned this trip to one of our customers and he said he would most likely be there with his buggy and i know he would be interested in the new trail as well if you guys are able to run it.

blznnp

Just remembered something I have going on at 7:30 am, I might be there or might not. If I get done early enough, I will make it out but might just meet you at the trail head or on the trail. could you post up what CB channel you will be on for a reference in case I need to catch up.

flexyfool

GDW
Why are bypasses so harmful?

A bypass goes around a steep rocky section of the trail and usually goes around it on softer ground. The bypass is very evident compared to the obstacle. This is counter-intuitive, but bypasses are usually what the authorities flag and are what get a trail closed.