Jeep Rebuilt Engine Quote n Specs, want some gear heads opinions

I received this quote from a rebuild/performance shop, this is the way it was sent.:confused: Opinions on whats listed and what further questions I should ask. This is a complete engine and head ready to be mated to the tranny and hooked up everywhere else.

Thanks in advance!

Please review the following quote and specifications to your custom-built performance 4.0/4.2 longblock: 240 –280 HP with 285 ft lbs torque

ü[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]4.0 L or 4.2L block bored, honed, decked and align honed
ü[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Performance camshaft: (specs may change)
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]206/212 @ .050
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT].460/476 lift
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]113 lobe center
ü[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]New performance cam bearings
ü[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Match weight balanced rotating assembly with balancer ( add 300.00)
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Reground crankshaft
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Resized rods with ARP® rod bolts

[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]New performance bearings
ü[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] Performance pistons with Molly® rings
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]9 to 1 compression ratio
ü[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]New performance timing set
ü[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]New performance high volume oil pump
ü[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Cylinder head includes:
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]new steel valves 1.90”’/ 1.550”
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]100 lbs valve springs
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]new head bolts
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]3 angle seats
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]bronze guides
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]positive seals
ü[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]New push rods and stamped rockers
ü[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]New performance gasket set
ü[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Painted black

* Stage 2 porting

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
My personal oppinion, you're about to spend a lot of time and money and still end up with a 4.0. You might want to consider a swap to a 318 instead. Probably cheaper too.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
whats wrong with the 4.0? its got plenty of low end torque for wheeling. might not be great for towing but all in all its still a jeep

zukking01

I have a 350 i my wrangler and still trying to finish it.

If I were to do it again I would dump the money into the engine instead of a swap. Reason being is a 350 might cost less than a built motor but when the vehicle sells or is parted out you will have a unique engine that can sell the vehicle fast or sell for more than a 350.

Cant really help you on your real question but just wanted to put my .02 before all the engine swapper people come out of the woods.

drjoliver

Too many projects
What's the quote price? What brand of oil pump and timing set? How come stamped rockers and not machined? Just some things I would want to know.

Last edited:
What's the quote price? What brand of oil pump and timing set? How come stamped rockers and not machined? Just some things I would want to know.

I was quoted out the door for about 2.7k with shipping and not needing the current 4.0 that's in it back.

As far as the brands for the timing and oil pump I'm not sure. I'd have to ask the people who built or will be building it.

The stamped rockers I'm not sure about either, In a performance build of this 4.0 I would figure machined as well. (maybe this is something I can request be changed if the engine isn't assembled yet.)

All in all it "sounds" like a fair shake for a 4.0 without having to worry about a swap or anything custom being done for mounts and or bracketry. ( that is of course unless people who know good swaps and that are easy and I could potentially call on for help if I decided this route. I also assume a swap would be a little more expensive but I'm not an expert on swaps so I'll leave that to the resident ones to gauge expense and value.)

whats wrong with the 4.0? its got plenty of low end torque for wheeling. might not be great for towing but all in all its still a jeep

I'm glad you said something about towing. The stock 4.0 is supposed to be able to pull a 5k load, I'm betting by tricking out the motor a bit that number would increase a bit or atleast pull whatever small things I want behind me more efficiently.

I'm liking the power and torque of the 5.9 v8 in a longblock inline 6.
Am I crazy? lol

Thanks guys!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You are crazy. For that kind of money, you're still going to have a 4.0. The stock 4.0 WILL pull a 5k load but it won't be real happy about it.

You're going to be unhappy that you spent that money on that engine. But, I believe in American freedom. :D

You're going to be unhappy that you spent that money on that engine. But, I believe in American freedom. :D

This is exactly why I want opinions, I'm a newb here and building up a more reliable 4x4 is completely new to me. I'm positive there is more people like you who watch other peoples bottom dollar. I respect that totally.

Now here's another question for the RME masses. What would my better options be for a great engine easy to install with little to no fab and no immediate swap on tranny or other driveline components?

I'm looking to have a much more reliable engine that im happy with and can treat right after a new install of either mine being rebuilt, buying a modified engine of the same or doing an easy swap.

What's my best options do you all think, what experiences have lead to you leaning more towards one option than any other.

Thanks!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If it was me, I wouldnt' do anything to that engine.. I was about to say "maybe rebuild the long block", but then I thought, "Nah, you can get used motors for like $75 at the yards, screw it" . I don't know if its' going in an XJ, ZJ, CJ, TJ, whatever, but there are about a hundred places I'd spend Jeep money before I spent it on the engine.

I don't know if its' going in an XJ, ZJ, CJ, TJ, whatever, but there are about a hundred places I'd spend Jeep money before I spent it on the engine.

It would be replacing the engine currently in my '98 ZJ.
Everything else about the jeep is in fantastic condition. the engine area needs love and it leaks like a bastard right now. it's 180k on it and never had any serious work or anything rebuilt.

This ZJ isn't going to be built to be an amazing machine, just better then it came from factory.

I'm more here to make my jeep run like a top and be able to get out to where alot of the events are to watch, not really climb in my own.

STAG

On my grind
My two cents - rebuild the engine you have. Don't buy the other engine. And also, just a forewarning, whatever you are thinking you are going to spend on this, add 30% of that amount to the total and see if that is still a figure you want to consider. In my practice I've noticed that that 30% is on average is what is spent over the expected initial amount.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You can do the rebuild. Get a manual, pay attention. It's not all that hard, seriously. Pay someone to do the machine work and install the cam bearings, and if necessary, put the wristpins in the pistons for you. The rest you can do yourself.

You can do the rebuild. Get a manual, pay attention. It's not all that hard, seriously. Pay someone to do the machine work and install the cam bearings, and if necessary, put the wristpins in the pistons for you. The rest you can do yourself.

I would do the rebuild myself but I don't have the time or space to devote to it. Apartment living has it's drawbacks in this case. If I had a garage or place that I could rebuild in a couple of days, I would be all over this option.

drjoliver

Too many projects
Find a friend with a garage, buy a case of beer, pull a junkyard motor to rebuild and viola. Problem solved. You can have your DD while rebuilding, then swap when ready in a weekend.

What does a crate motor from the dealership cost? I'm guessing that would be cheaper than $2700.

I haven't been able to find pricing on a crate engine anywhere online yet, although I haven't contacted Jeep themselves either.

Guess I could give them a shot, just didn't think they would carry the 242 ci inline 6 anymore.

Oh and does anyone know some good yards? They used to have a decent one here in Lehi/American Fork, but since the overpass construction they've closed or moved locations. Are there any yards with tons of jeeps? I ask cause a friend of mine, his uncle salvages saturns (ick) but he deals with them mostly

Last edited: