Recommendations needed for a 12 volt air compressor

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
I'm looking to buy a fairly low-end compressor. But not so low that it's a piece of junk or takes 10 minutes to inflate a tire. So any recommendations would be appreciated.

Corban_White

They hold up great and have pretty good flow. I have had mine for 3 years now and use it all the time. I used it again just last week to bump the trailer tires up to 65 psi. Worked flawlessly.

Mope

Those Harbor freight ones go on sale quite a bit for ~$50 as well. I have one similar to it from costco that works good as well.

Lka1988

Masterflow MF1050, $60 at Pep Boys. Checker had a blowout sale on these for who-knows-what reason a couple years back. They hold their own quite well, I have two of them.

Also known as the MV50. Same thing.

Last edited:

rzmod

**** work lets wheel
i bought a 450 viair on ebay for 75 bucks...bought some hose,fittings and mounted it all in a 50 cal. ammo can. got like 125.00 into it. its fast and 100% duty cycle. i can post up some pics if u like. rz

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
I have the harbour freight one also. I got it about 3 yrs ago and use the heck out it. My wheelin buddies made fun of me for buying it but they have all stopped laughing now that it has bailed there butt out a few times now. I love it and they are on sell every now and then for 49.99 and ya cant beat it. I found it airs a 35" tire really quick if you have the pressure off the tire. Maybe 2 or 3 min

Twisted

NEEDAMONEYTREE
I got one of those little SuperFlow MV50 portables when I bought a set of tires from 4WD. It's not superfast, (took about 15 minutes to air 4 35" tires up from 15 to 40 psi w/vehicle weight on) but it works well & is compact enough to carry under the seat. Not bad for free!:D

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
I just picked up a nitrogen tank and running an air chuck on it. Jake (maxxis comp buggy) saved my ass when I popped a bead at mini moab, couldn't have gotten it back on the bead without it. All you have to do is turn up the regulator and will inflate tires faster than your home compressor. Well worth the money

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I have 2 of the MV-50's. These are sweet little compressors. It aired the trailer spare tire from 25psi to 65psi with both Toyota's on the trailer.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Airing up tires isn't any harder with weight on them. ;)

The Q Industries MV-50 (aka MF-1050) have a pretty good reputation. They are super cheap, chinese built, but put out a lot of air really fast. I think for them, you get a little more than what you pay for. You can't find anything quite as good for under $100 and sometimes you can find them cheap enough to buy two for that price. I am semi-happy with mine, its fast, comes in a cool case, doesn't get too hot, etc, but I did manage to break an air fitting because of the cheap cast metal they used. Should be easy enough to replace. I think these will be fine for most people's uses.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
I am semi-happy with mine, its fast, comes in a cool case, doesn't get too hot, etc, but I did manage to break an air fitting because of the cheap cast metal they used. Should be easy enough to replace.

I tried pulling the broken fitting out today. The whole cylinder head cap cracked due to ultra crappy metal. Took off the cap and there were all sorts of metal shavings in the cylinder. I definitely don't think this unit was made to last long. No biggie though, it was cheap and did its job. The only bad part is I cannot for the life of me contact the company Q Industries to try and use the warranty or get replacement parts. They seem to have dropped off the map. E-mails not going through, nothing on google coming up... Possible they went out of business, though lots of places are still selling the compressors.

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
FWIW, Harbor Freight just sent out an ad with the 150 psi compressor for $49.95

I think I might have to go visit them!:)

ricsrx

Just picked up the HP for 49.95 plus 10.95 for the 2 year " I know its junk , and it wont last the 30 day facotory warranty".

and one more 4 1/2'' grinder that was on sale