RME Land Owners Group??

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Ok, need some advice from Cabin owners..

I've found a cabin, less John Dutton, more Jed Clampett..
It's close enough to walk to a large lake...Carrying fishing gear, yes.. Carry kayak, no. But I don't fish. Motor boats allowed.
It's directly off a dirt road that accesses all of skyline drive and the trails associated.
7,000 ft elevation. 1/2 acre. No HOA, but in a small development.
3 hours from my house, give or take depending on which route we take.
I believe it to be a great price for what it is.

I want it super bad.. but I also know the headaches and time that a cabin can involve.

Are cabins a thing to have, or is vacant land better? Will a cabin consume my life and every dollar?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ok, need some advice from Cabin owners..

I've found a cabin, less John Dutton, more Jed Clampett..
It's close enough to walk to a large lake...Carrying fishing gear, yes.. Carry kayak, no. But I don't fish. Motor boats allowed.
It's directly off a dirt road that accesses all of skyline drive and the trails associated.
7,000 ft elevation. 1/2 acre. No HOA, but in a small development.
3 hours from my house, give or take depending on which route we take.
I believe it to be a great price for what it is.

I want it super bad.. but I also know the headaches and time that a cabin can involve.

Are cabins a thing to have, or is vacant land better? Will a cabin consume my life and every dollar?

I don’t have a cabin, but I sure wish I did. The lot size makes me a little nervous, as I love having the space I have to keep people away from me. That being said, you won’t have many neighbors there on the same weekends as you, so that could be no big deal.

For the cabin maintenance costs itself, just keep everything as simple and reliable as possible. Don’t treat it like a home where you have all of the convenient appliances like a large fridge and AC. Treat it more like an RV that never moves.

Does it have power, sewer, or a well?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I don’t have a cabin, but I sure wish I did. The lot size makes me a little nervous, as I love having the space I have to keep people away from me. That being said, you won’t have many neighbors there on the same weekends as you, so that could be no big deal.

For the cabin maintenance costs itself, just keep everything as simple and reliable as possible. Don’t treat it like a home where you have all of the convenient appliances like a large fridge and AC. Treat it more like an RV that never moves.

Does it have power, sewer, or a well?

Power is battery or generator.
Septic tank.
Seasonal water from community tank, but used for only washing/toilets. Drinking water up to me.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Power is battery or generator.
Septic tank.
Seasonal water from community tank, but used for only washing/toilets. Drinking water up to me.
I’m not a fan of solar on houses, but I am a huge fan of it at cabins and off grid places. Septic is a big plus, same with the community water tank. You would bring bottled water if you had a well, anyway.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That area is really cool and very beautiful! Me and @glockman road adventure bikes out and camped out there. The road up from Orangeville is pretty amazing, so windy it was incredible on bikes. At 7k ft That lake is COLD like 72°F in the summer.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
That does seem like an good deal. Built in 1943, so it’s old. What’s your appraisal gut feeling?

It seems like it's worth a look.. so we are heading out shortly.
However, this will be at least the 10th property I've looked at over the years.. all of which turn out not to be what I was expecting.. so hopes are staying tame.

Timeshare? :D

I'll leave you a hide a key