Rock Crawling

Is there any interest in rock crawling competitions like UROC used to do years ago?

• Participating as a spectator

Votes: 50 46.3%
  • Participating as a competitor

Votes: 49 45.4%
  • Participating as a sponsor

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Participating as a Judge

Votes: 8 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pELYgroso

'Merica
so......for those of us that aren't familiar with the old school uroc vs the new school uroc, could somebody educate us please?? It sound to me like the old school was funner, but i'm not familiar with it to know for sure. thanks in advance.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
so......for those of us that aren't familiar with the old school uroc vs the new school uroc, could somebody educate us please?? It sound to me like the old school was funner, but i'm not familiar with it to know for sure. thanks in advance.

IMO, the old UROC was fun because & your buddies were competing & you did it fun rather than money/sponsors.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
IMO, the old UROC was fun because & your buddies were competing & you did it fun rather than money/sponsors.

I agree... And it was more fun as a spectator because you were able to witness that true sportsmanship and be part of the fun.

pELYgroso

'Merica
....ya, it sounds like the old school is funner. I love the small events/competitions that the u4wda puts on now and again. Was it kinda like that?

Craig S

Commando
I appreciate everybody piping up on this thread and putting their $.02 in. Looks like most people hate to get muddy and everybody likes the rocks. Some guys want to judge, but most want to compete or watch. Nobody want's it to get too serious and everybody want's to have some fun.

What about some sand drags to go along with the rocks and a show & shine thrown in the mix?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I'd be down for sand drags. growing up near the Great Salt Lake, we used to go to the sand drags near Saltair on a regular basis. Finding a suitable location might be a problem, as well as getting proper timing equipment.

Shawn would be a tough one to beat, if he was smart enough to run an automatic. :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
There were sand drags here???? :eek: AWESOME!

I saw a guy with a blown BBC , running 9" front and rear axles, at Delle. Yes, 9" front.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
......Nobody want's it to get too serious and everybody want's to have some fun.

What about some sand drags to go along with the rocks and a show & shine thrown in the mix?

That sounds pretty cool. (maybe I'd need a new long block before this comp. -- not suspicious....:D)

I'd be down for sand drags. growing up near the Great Salt Lake, we used to go to the sand drags near Saltair on a regular basis. Finding a suitable location might be a problem, as well as getting proper timing equipment.

Shawn would be a tough one to beat, if he was smart enough to run an automatic. :D

He is. T400, I believe.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I thought he was still sportin the 465. Guess he's gettin smarter in his old age.

Nah, I doubt it. He probably just picked it up cheap.

Craig S

Commando
The reason I am doing the poll and asking the questions is that Millard County has built a rock crawling course in Delta. They also have a sand drag pit constructed that is about 300' long. They want people to use this place. They will allow camping on the grounds if you are competing or judging. There seems to be plenty of room. The only drawbacks are getting insurance, advertising and help to run an event. I already have all the cones and most of the stuff to do an event.

They (Millard County) have asked me if I would be interested in putting an event on. I told them that I thought rock crawling was due for a come back and would ask around and see if anybody was still interested. If there is enough interest for and event like we have been talking about on this thread, I would be interested in doing it for fun. I don't want to make money off the thing because then it would turn into a job and wouldn't be any fun anymore. I don't want to loose money either so some sort of fee would have to be charged to cover expenses. Any cash left over would go to Millard County to improve the park or the Utah 4wheel Drive Association to keep trails open.

Please keep the comments coming to help determine the interest level for an event at the Fair Grounds in Delta. Tentative date for this is May 30 and 31, 2008.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
There was no option of "No" so I could just vote anonymously and move on.
I went to a couple of the first UROC events, and they bored me then just as much as they would bore me now. I think competitive rockcrawling sets a bad example because this is what laymen see, then they go out and buy a beat up S-10 and go bumming around looking for rocks to drive over. Plus, its easy for the media to go take pictures of idiots slamming their rigs against the obstacles and breaking stuff. Then, five years later when they do a story on how horrible all of us are, thats the footage they use and say its from some sensitive would be wilderness area.
I know I'm vastly outnumbered here but I think we should just let rockcrawling competitions die. Savor the memories and go on a trail ride.

Bart

I guess you believe that watching tv and playing video games make kids violent also? I respect that you have an opinion, but I certainly don't agree with it.

Bart

Forgot to add that I think rock crawling events did suffer from over exposure and controversy for a while, but it seems that small local events, like the one proposed in Delta, seem to be drawing people back to the sport.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
.... Plus, its easy for the media to go take pictures of idiots slamming their rigs against the obstacles and breaking stuff.

uuuhh, you drive a samurai.. you just described the only way a samurai operates.

why hide from legit activities, that can be a positive look into what we do to the public..??? makes no sense.

do you stay out of the airports and malls because of terrorist threats?

I think this is a great idea.. it will help to bring together more and more of the 'smaller guys' in the 4x4 world.. and thus, could be a great education oportunity.

-Jason