General Tech SAS Mitsubishi Montero

SASMitso

Hello everyone. I am looking into swapping my Mitso. I already have a Dana 44 front axle and a Toyota E-locker for the rear. Has anyone done this sort of thing to their Mitso? Any input would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Runner

He also needs to know if he needs to swap carriers because his D44 has 3:54's and he wants 4:10's. I'm pretty sure he needs to just done remember

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Thanks for the info. I thought that was right. You guys know if a ford hp is the same as a international hp?

I'm 99.9% sure that International never used a high pinion diff. Ford F-150/250/Broncos of the late 70s were the only HP 44s that I'm aware of until Jeep started using them in the front of the JK Rubicons.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
That's what I thought but that's what we where told. Is there any markings inside or on the axle??

Markings for what? The high pinion aspect is easily identified if you know what to look for, but not necessarily easy to describe. A pic of the axle in question is worth a thousand words.:)

SASMitso

It's a 1999 Mitsubishi Montero. I already bought brakes for a 1978 International scout II that match the current brakes on the Axle. So I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I would rather the Electronic Locker but thanks anyways!
16466e7e49503ec8730a067779107fb7.jpg
d2f82013e0c0c40c21b41c808b2b781a.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
It's a 1999 Mitsubishi Montero. I already bought brakes for a 1978 International scout II that match the current brakes on the Axle. So I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I would rather the Electronic Locker but thanks anyways!
16466e7e49503ec8730a067779107fb7.jpg
d2f82013e0c0c40c21b41c808b2b781a.jpg

Do some research and you will find some models of the Montero Sport came from the factory with optional 4.92 gears and air locker in the 9.5 inch rear end, somewhat rare to find but would be a far superior axle and bolts right in. Do you know which axle yours came with stock? Also want to check the VIN plate on the passenger side firewall of the engine bay for the current gear ratio stamped into it.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Another thing, have you actually wheeled your Sport on some decent trails to decide if you "need" to do a swap, or is swapping axles just some idea that someone put in your head?

Houndoc

Another thing, have you actually wheeled your Sport on some decent trails to decide if you "need" to do a swap, or is swapping axles just some idea that someone put in your head?

They are pretty capable as is. Contrary to what you may read, including on Montero forums, you can run 33s (285/75r16) with just a 2" Old Man Emu lift. I was reading that 265s or "skinny 33s"- 255/85 would fit. But I tried the larger tire after looking at clearance and had no problems at all.

You may find you will be plenty happy with the lift and lockers (I thought about the rear locker of Stratton's and never got around to it and front airlockers are available.)

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
They are pretty capable as is. Contrary to what you may read, including on Montero forums, you can run 33s (285/75r16) with just a 2" Old Man Emu lift. I was reading that 265s or "skinny 33s"- 255/85 would fit. But I tried the larger tire after looking at clearance and had no problems at all.

You may find you will be plenty happy with the lift and lockers (I thought about the rear locker of Stratton's and never got around to it and front airlockers are available.)

Unless you already have the 9.5 inch rear axle and were to swap 3rd members only it would not have been an easy swap.