General Tech SAS Mitsubishi Montero

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Another thing, have you actually wheeled your Sport on some decent trails to decide if you "need" to do a swap, or is swapping axles just some idea that someone put in your head?

I had the same question. Doing a SAS is a TON of work and comes with it's own set of problems. Now if you've done a fair bit of wheeling, either with the Monty or another vehicle, and know that you want a dedicated, hard core rock crawler that's a little different from the norm; then cool, SAS the Monty. But as Houndoc said, you may be surprised with how capable it is with just a lift and tires.

4Runner

He'll need the sas to do things he is wanting to go and do. We have done lots of custom work and even sas'd my 4Runner. Not to mention his front end is falling apart and would cost as much or more to fix and lift. He has the e-locker axle because I was going to use it in my build but I went a different direction and so he might as well use it. It was cheap and accessible.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I SAS'd my montero. Meaning I sold it for my 80 series. :cool:

Actually, I have owned three monteros, and have always liked the mitsu line of SUV's. If I was a better mechanic and enjoyed figuring out stuff myself I would still have my '03. But since I'm not and I don't, I went with a vehicle that has more bolt-on stuff available. I also had a trooper for a while. So I support the guys who adopt the orphan vehicles and do cool stuff with them.

Last edited:

SASMitso

I like the E locker set up better. It would be much more expensive to put in a air locker. And I have never seen a lift for a 1999 Montero. But the independent is falling apart and would require much more attention than I want to put into it. I'd rather just go big instead of replacing stock parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Contrary to what others would have you believe the big montero rear is a better axle swap for the rear than others.

1) same bolt pattern
2) same pinion (driveshaft) flange pattern
3) width: that toy axle will be too narrow.
4) disc brakes
5) same ebrake cables
6) same brake line fittings.
7) superior ring and pinion size (10.5" vs 8" on the toy axle)
8) superior axle shaft size [31 spline coarse (the same size and spline as a Ford 9") vs. 30 spline fine]

Moving brackets from one axle to another is the easy part. The rest of that mess above is the expensive and time consuming part.

sixstringsteve

I've SASed a few rigs (including my van), and my vote is to keep the IFS. With IFS, we've done the Rubicon Trail, 90% of the moab trails, rattlesnake, constrictor, hanging tree, and a handful of others. I get the appeal of a "simple" SAS, but I love the ride of IFS over SAS both on road and off road. If I could trade my solid axle for IFS on my van, I would. I realize you've made up your mind on the SAS, but I just wanted to chime in with my positive experience keeping my rigs IFS.

Houndoc

I like the E locker set up better. It would be much more expensive to put in a air locker. And I have never seen a lift for a 1999 Montero. But the independent is falling apart and would require much more attention than I want to put into it. I'd rather just go big instead of replacing stock parts.

Look forward to your progress either way. Enjoyed my 03 Monty Sport!

SASMitso

Contrary to what others would have you believe the big montero rear is a better axle swap for the rear than others.

1) same bolt pattern
2) same pinion (driveshaft) flange pattern
3) width: that toy axle will be too narrow.
4) disc brakes
5) same ebrake cables
6) same brake line fittings.
7) superior ring and pinion size (10.5" vs 8" on the toy axle)
8) superior axle shaft size [31 spline coarse (the same size and spline as a Ford 9") vs. 30 spline fine]

Moving brackets from one axle to another is the easy part. The rest of that mess above is the expensive and time consuming part.

Nothing spacers won't fix. Finding a cheap available Montero locked axle wasn't working for me the Toyota axle has never done 4Runner wrong I don't see why it will be a pain for me. Moving brackets around is fine. Disc brake conversions they make them and are relatively easy and they already are the same lug pattern.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I think you'll find the pinion flange is very small on a toy compared to the montero pattern.
Anyways. Thought I'd throw it out there. You can have the complete axle for $120. That's cheaper than hokey spacers and a new pinion flange.

SASMitso

I think you'll find the pinion flange is very small on a toy compared to the montero pattern.
Anyways. Thought I'd throw it out there. You can have the complete axle for $120. That's cheaper than hokey spacers and a new pinion flange.

Well I thank you for that but I'm sure it'll hold up just fine. If it doesn't I will gladly eat my words and buy a Mitso axle

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm not trying to insult you. Certainly do what you do. The point I was trying to make was the driveshaft flange on the mitsu is physically larger diameter. And the toy pinion flange may not have enough diameter to redrill for the larger mitsu bolt pattern....
Just trying to help...