SLCPD shoots dog... in it's backyard

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=30367532&nid=148&fm=most_popular&s_cid=popular-2

This makes my blood boil, as a Wiem owner and knowing how they can become a member of your family I'm shocked to hear that some stupid cop felt the need to end this dogs life for no f**king reason. Perhaps the idiot shouldn't have wandered into the yard without talking to the homeowner first? Our Weim is the most meek, gentle and friendly dog I've ever known... I'm sure there will be no punishment to the 'officer'. What bullshit!

Sending an angry email to SLCPD now... if this bothers you, you should should tell them too.

slcpd@slcgov.com

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
This is utter BS! To come onto someone's property and shoot their animal is absolutely uncalled for. I don't care what kind of dog it was, this is totally unjustified. Email enroute to SLPD.

D

Deleted member 12904

So its legal for an officer to come into my fenced back yard without mu knowledge or permission?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
So its legal for an officer to come into my fenced back yard without mu knowledge or permission?

In an emergency, yes. Still bullshit though... the cop chose to shoot this dog rather than use a less lethal show of force... or better yet, simply leave the backyard.

I'm sure nothing will be done about it, and the officer won't be held accountable for his actions... because, after all he was 'justified'.

D

Deleted member 12904

I have two aggressive German shepherds that 100% guaranteed would attack an officer if they came in my backyard without me. I find it very upsetting it is "Legal" for them to enter my fenced and locked yard without my permission or knowledge and shoot my dogs as long as they deemed it an emergency situation.

I really do have very little respect for law enforcement. People can say what they want but open your eyes they have very little respect for us.

I was pulled over about two weeks ago it was late on a weeknight and it was a bogus stop to profile. The officer was asking me all the standard questions and I replied "I don't want to answer that" to every one of them. He then asked me why and I replied "The same reason you had your flashlight out and hand on your weapon as you approached my car. I am exercising caution." He laughed and went to his car with my stuff. It really pissed me off because he tried to make me feel like he is superior to me.

D

Deleted member 12904

My neighbor and friend works for SLCPD...I'll find out the real story.

The only guy that knows the real story is the one that entered a fenced yard and shot a dog for likely doing what dogs do.

reddman

Fabber
I just fired this off to them. I'll post up their response unless it's some automated BS. I hope anyone else who feels similarly will take a few minutes and write them too.

To slcpd@slcgov.com

To Whom It May Concern:

In reaction to the recent dog shooting (here is a link to the KSL article in case the recipient is not yet aware of the story), I am curious how the SLCPD would advise me to best keep my dog from striking enough fear into an officer during a search, to warrant being shot and killed.

I absolutely understand that the police are tasked with difficult things like finding the lost child in this particular story, and I appreciate police efforts for the community like looking for a lost child, but I find myself unable to answer the question of just what I can do myself to keep this ugly scenario from playing out in my backyard. I am a dog owner, and while she has been a sweetheart for the 8 years we have shared, I have been told by my neighbors that she is vocal and unusually intimidating in defense of her fenced yard when the gate is approached while I am out.

What should I do as a citizen to ensure that my beloved pet, and the guardian of my home when I am not in it, is safe, beyond my current signage indicating a dog on the premises? I of course would like to be cooperative with anyone performing a noble task like searching a neighborhood for a lost child, but within the confines of keeping my pet safe and alive too.

Thank you in advance for your help on this matter.

-Redd Bradshaw

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My Letter:

Dear SLCPD,

In light of current events, I wanted to take a moment and warn you about my 2 year old son who is often found playing in our back yard. He has just started learning animal sounds and has a mean dog bark, which he likes to practice. I assure you he is harmless. If you find yourselves in our backyard for any reason, please do not shoot him in the head.

Thank you for your time,

Last edited:

Bart

Well said Redd, very good letter.

I just fired this off to them. I'll post up their response unless it's some automated BS. I hope anyone else who feels similarly will take a few minutes and write them too.

To slcpd@slcgov.com

To Whom It May Concern:

In reaction to the recent dog shooting (here is a link to the KSL article in case the recipient is not yet aware of the story), I am curious how the SLCPD would advise me to best keep my dog from striking enough fear into an officer during a search, to warrant being shot and killed.

I absolutely understand that the police are tasked with difficult things like finding the lost child in this particular story, and I appreciate police efforts for the community like looking for a lost child, but I find myself unable to answer the question of just what I can do myself to keep this ugly scenario from playing out in my backyard. I am a dog owner, and while she has been a sweetheart for the 8 years we have shared, I have been told by my neighbors that she is vocal and unusually intimidating in defense of her fenced yard when the gate is approached while I am out.

What should I do as a citizen to ensure that my beloved pet, and the guardian of my home when I am not in it, is safe, beyond my current signage indicating a dog on the premises? I of course would like to be cooperative with anyone performing a noble task like searching a neighborhood for a lost child, but within the confines of keeping my pet safe and alive too.

Thank you in advance for your help on this matter.

-Redd Bradshaw

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

My Letter:

Dear SLCPD,

In light of current events, I wanted to take a moment and warn you about my 2 year old son who is often found playing in our back yard. He has just started learning animal sounds and has a mean dog bark, which he likes to practice. I assure you he is harmless. If you find yourselves in our backyard for any reason, please do not shoot him in the head.

Thank you for your time,

Coco

Nothing has pissed me off more than this lately. I am usually with law enforcement when everyone else lately is against them, (I have many family members that are involved in law enforcement, so I know what a lot of them go through, and deal with) but it really pisses me off when officers do this. I saw a video that someone put on facebook, were there were a couple officers that were wrangling up a "dangerous" american bulldog. The dog may have been WALKING, not running away from them, and never once showed aggression in the video. They finally get the dog with one of those wire neck stick things, and lays the dog on the ground. You can see in the video the dog isnt fighting/struggling in anyway, but lying there wagging its tail, and the officer pulls out his gun and shoots it point blank! WTF!! I was fuming when I saw that, and this story is no different. I am all for law enforcement, and hope to someday become an officer, but when I see this sh*t, it really pisses me off. These kind of officers shouldn't be officers at all, and should have to pay for what they do!

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I don't personally know any officers that I don't have a lot of respect for, and I'm not saying that just because a couple of them are on this board. But it seems like more and more officers are getting on power trips and overstepping their bounds, and it's not just with animals. I expect that a large part of that has to do with increasing dangers on the job, but I don't feel that that's a valid excuse?

I'd like to see SLCPD (and this officer) come out with an unreserved apology and financial restitution for the owner, or I'd like to see them provide a complete item-by-item breakdown of exactly why that officer had to shoot that dog - demonstrate that the yard couldn't be searched by looking over the fence, demonstrate that the dog was aggressive enough to pose an imminent danger, demonstrate that the officer had to shoot it with his firearm rather than tase it or retreat from the yard or just club it into submission, etc.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I have a really hard time with this story. I am not a against law enforcement, but I am for civil liberties. I have a hard time in my mind, with the police's justification for this warrantless search. I understand that a 3 year old was reported missing at 4:30 pm, but does that trump all of my 4th amendment rights? The part that makes me really mad was the child was found at 5:00 pm at his own house. So with a child missing for less than a half hour I end up a warrantless search of my property, and a dog killed for protecting said property. This is the crap that makes me want to move out to a remote area, and build a house/compound.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm still getting over a 110lb Weimaraner, that seems huge for the breed. Maybe I had too many run-ins with dogs growing up but I sure wouldn't be going into fenced back yards without a homeowner present.