SLCPD shoots dog... in it's backyard

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I'm still getting over a 110lb Weimaraner, that seems huge for the breed. Maybe I had too many run-ins with dogs growing up but I sure wouldn't be going into fenced back yards without a homeowner present.

Our female is small for her size and she's around 75-80#'s... I don't think 110# is uncommon, but I haven't owned a male.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
This was my email to them, I got right to the point,

My concerns and questions stem from the situation involving the officer who murdered a family pet and a man's best friend earlier this week. As a pet owner and tax payer I find this very disturbing, very unprofessional, and very acceptable.

Why was this officer so quick to shoot and kill an innocent pet that was guarding its master's private property when the officer should not have been there in the first place? Common sense should tell the officer that a small toddler couldn't open a gated fence by itself. This officer exhausted no other resources PRIOR to using deadly force when he had the option to tase or mace the animal instead. A Weimaraner is not an aggressive breed and find it very hard to believe that the officer's life was indeed "threatened", especially to the point that he had to murder this dog. Was this officer ever given a temperament or stressful scenario test involving dogs during his training that might make him better able to handle such a situation without drawing his deadly weapon?

Do you realize the ripple effect this situation is having on the public citizens who pay your salary, who you expect to respect you, and most of all who are supposed to trust you? If you fail to properly reprimand this officer it will only cause further damage to your image and deepen the loss of respect people should have towards those we pay to protect and serve the citizens of this city, and people will ultimately resent the uniform you wear.

Please proceed using good judgement that will protect the will of the people, not simply serve your own interests because you feel you may be a protected authority.

XJEEPER

Lost kid? Clear the house first, then expand the search perimeter.

Our family dog is a Caton and he looks like a fluffy white slipper who gets really barky when strangers approach the house......or when he's playing in the yard and having fun with the kids. Both barks sound similar. I hope neither get him killed for wanting to protect his home.

LT.

My email.

To whom it may concern:

I have seen this news bit and could not believe the serious lack of training your department must be experiencing. How is it that your officers moved onto neighboring yards and buildings (within 30 minutes of searching) without first clearing the home where the child was missing from? How does your department go from searching for a toddler to go to opening a gate in which the opening mechanism is far to high off of the ground for a toddler to reach? The gate was secured how does your officer justify how a toddler would have been able to re-secure the gate? How was your force continuum exercised in this instance? Once your officers presence was not working how did your officer justify deadly force without trying to use preclusion? Where was your officers elements of deadly force? Ability to cause serious bodily harm, opportunity meaning favorable circumstances, imitate jeopardy as in immediate, and preclusion meaning your officer had exhausted all other means or could not be employed.

It was a dog, not an armed suspect. If this is the kind of officers your department employs then your department needs to have very deep pockets. I understand there is two sides to every story however, I fail to see how your officer properly used the force continuum in this event. In any Police department you should be trained to use the minimum force needed to overcome an opposing force. Deadly force is only applied when the reasonable officer feels their life or another's life is at risk. I surmise that your officer failed to use the minimum force and also failed to use preclusion.

I have saved this event and will use it as a training aide to my troops. This is a fantastic example of what not to do. I guess if you cannot serve as a good example you can always serve as a bad example.

1st Lieutenant Robert Knoell

LT.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Wait, he just found it? They didn't even contact him to let him know they'd shot his dog?

There'd better be another side to that story, or that officer needs to be fired with cause. What an asshole.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Obviously they are trying to avoid a lawsuit by meeting with him and feel his lawyer out to intimidate so it wont go to court.
I say file a lawsuit cause the only way the department will make changes is if they feel it in thier pocketbook.
Im usually with the cops on certain subjects but this is crap. .

Hope carma rears its ugly head at this cop later down the road .
Booo SLC-PD Thumbs down.

Last edited:

jentzschman

This is so frustrating. So when do the police determine when an emergency is, anytime they want in the future? Seems like a pretty loose judgment call to me. I have very little respect for police officers like the one in this story and to make maters worse he is still on duty!!! Oh wait, how about we give him paid leave on our dime while the slcpd decides what to do next. In any other shooting they go on mandatory leave, but for shooting a household pet/family member its no big deal! BS!!!!

ozzy702

This is the kind of B.S. that causes the public to not trust the police. Why are police officers so above the law and protected? I believe the vast majority are good people doing a good job but why not police their own actions? If I walked into someone's backyard and shot their dog I'd server jail time but this officer will still have his job and is taking a nice vacation on the taxpayer's dime.

LT.

Rob.... that is awesome, very well written!

Thank you. I hope the owner refuses to meet with the SLCPD any more and files a law suit. They department will not change until their hand is forced to change. A large enough settlement or big enough court case is the only way to inflict change. Such a shame really. I believe this is one of those instances where something bad has happened so, we will tell the story to ten others. While good instances we only tell one. I hope the owner sues for millions. He may not get it but, with a large enough sum all the media outlets will jump on board and will trounce on the PD.

LT.

DAA

Supporting Member
A long, long time ago, like, 30 years ago, SLCPD pulled up in front of my buddies house (I was there when this happened), got out of the car, leaned against the front fence and shot his dog in his front yard. Got back in their car and drove away. Never said anything to anybody. We took the dog to the vet and he survived though.

- DAA

D

Deleted member 12904

Coming from a farm humans came before animals even if they made a mistake.

I see where your going with this but having a mom and Grandfather that had a farm I would be willing to bet that they would not be ok with someone coming on their land without permission and shooting an animal or livestock then leaving.

LT.

Coming from a farm humans came before animals even if they made a mistake.

I might agree with you except, it was a man who made the mistake. Not the animal. And it was not just one mistake but, several. We do not fault a wild animal when it is protecting its young ones while in the wild. Why woulf anyone fault the dog for being in its own yard? The officer made no less than five mistakes by my count. 1 entering a yard where a toddler could not go. 2 opening a gate a toddler could not open. 3 did not bother to check the home of the toddler. 4 made no attempt to use a lesser force. And 5, used deadly force where it was not justified. Shame on the officer for making the mistakes, and shame on the department for not disciplining the officer. The department has serious training issues if this is tolerated.

LT.