Political So now what

Political discussions within

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I heard on
NPR
during lunch that Walz and his wife were both public educators. They have no stocks or mutual funds and own no property. They had a house, but when he became Governor they sold it and moved into the Governors mansion. They are living off teacher pensions and the stipend he got for serving in the house of reps or whatever he was before Governor. We'll see how long that stays the case, amiright?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I heard on
NPR
during lunch that Walz and his wife were both public educators. They have no stocks or mutual funds and own no property. They had a house, but when he became Governor they sold it and moved into the Governors mansion. They are living off teacher pensions and the stipend he got for serving in the house of reps or whatever he was before Governor. We'll see how long that stays the case, amiright?
I've heard that too, which mean what? That he's bad with money and relies on the Government to take care of him?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Wait, are we saying that it's bad to work as a public servant (teacher) and then retire with a pension?

Like all the cops and firefighters and city and federal employees?

I'm just trying to get my lines straight for when I get back to the office tomorrow.

Houndoc

Wait, are we saying that it's bad to work as a public servant (teacher) and then retire with a pension?

I'm just trying to get my lines straight for when I get back to the office tomorrow.
I was about to ask the same question.

Seems very odd that military service and public school teacher is now seen as a negative.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

I was about to ask the same question.

Seems very odd that military service and public school teacher is now seen as a negative.
I took it as being a poor, middle class public servant was bad.

Teachers are persona non grata because they think they should be paid a livable wage and don't want to carry weapons on them to protect the children.

Wow, you guys must be playing a wicked game of Jump to Conclusions!

All I was getting at is that Gov. Walz has a long and scandal ridden history of fiscal mismanagement, which doesn't really equate to him being someone I'd trust to run the government.

Personally, I don't think that having a public official who doesn't invest and doesn't own property makes him some stellar example of the "everyman". The same way that I don't think being a billionaire real estate tycoon automatically translates into knowing how to run the Executive Branch.

No one, least of all me, was saying that public employees are bad. I am a public employee! And yes, I am glad that I have a great retirement plan that I'm looking forward to cashing in on when I'm 75 and can finally afford to retire. But I don't know a single co-worker who doesn't have some other kind of investment going. My wife is an educator, same thing. In fact she's part of a group of educators that is 100's strong across multiple districts who have their own investment group going outside their pension! Generally speaking, smart people try to take care of their own fiscal house even if they have a phat .gov pension to retire on. So Walz bragging that he doesn't just kinda makes him look like a fool.

Houndoc

I heard on
NPR

I've heard that too, which mean what? That he's bad with money and relies on the Government to take care of him?

All I was getting at is that Gov. Walz has a long and scandal ridden history of fiscal mismanagement, which doesn't really equate to him being someone I'd trust to run the government.

Personally, I don't think that having a public official who doesn't invest and doesn't own property makes him some stellar example of the "everyman". The same way that I don't think being a billionaire real estate tycoon automatically translates into knowing how to run the Executive Branch.

No one, least of all me, was saying that public employees are bad. I am a public employee! And yes, I am glad that I have a great retirement plan that I'm looking forward to cashing in on when I'm 75 and can finally afford to retire. But I don't know a single co-worker who doesn't have some other kind of investment going. My wife is an educator, same thing. In fact she's part of a group of educators that is 100's strong across multiple districts who have their own investment group going outside their pension! Generally speaking, smart people try to take care of their own fiscal house even if they have a phat .gov pension to retire on. So Walz bragging that he doesn't just kinda makes him look like a fool.

@Stephen following the comments thread, I don't think anyone of us 'jumped to conclusions' about what you said.

It was pointed out he owned a home, which he sold when elected governor. Yes, many people invest beyond what their pensions cover, but not sure that choosing not to do so (since the pensions from teaching, National Guard and holding elected office all supplement his Social Security already) is a cause of condemnation.

You are the one that then called that "relying on the government to take care of him".

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

Perhaps....but I guess pick your poison. The other side is run by a guy who's career has been running his businesses into the ground. I don't buy the line that he's a wildly successful business man with elite financial acumen just because he's rich. He inherited wealth, and then ran multiple businesses into chapter 11. While he profited, he left behind a wake of people holding empty bags of money and unpaid bills that he took for himself, and buried anybody that opposed him beneath an avalanche court proceedings. The conman selling snake-oil to gullible people that are already predisposed to believe things without facts works pretty universally, but his financial tactics probably don't since a country can't file for bankruptcy.

My ego likely needs some grounding, but I don't consider myself totally stupid, yet I don't have a home or any other outside investments so I must be a fool as well. Actually, this kinda tracks lol.
We're comparing teachers to career politicians now? Wild.

I'm tired of the dramatic response to attain virtuous high ground...
I think in this situation, this guy doesn't seem like a career politician. I think the comparison was teachers and other public servants like police and fire.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I think in this situation, this guy doesn't seem like a career politician. I think the comparison was teachers and other public servants like police and fire.
Maybe, but I put way more value in police and fire than I do a governor. :)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Apparently Walz doesn't drink coffee and prefers diet mt dew.

Got a dui in 1995 after getting pulled over for speeding. Stopped drinking after that.

Joined the national guard at 17 and served for 24 years. Left in 2005 when he decided to run for Congress because he didn't want to violate the hatch act.

Taught in China for a year after college.

Has two kids and they were conceived through in vitro.