Soa conversion and YJ conversion questions on cj-7

redrussell

Getting ready to swap in a set of wide track cj axles so they are D30/AMC 20 set. Since I am eventually going to go to YJ springs I might as well do it now when I am swapping the axles. I also might as well do a soa conversion as well. Anyone else running this? I will be using 2.5" YJ lift springs. What else do I need for doing this?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
At 2 1/2" you're going to be as tall as most monster trucks. That'll be 7" of lift.

I ran stock springs with one extra leaf and I cleared 35's easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I had stock YJ springs on the rear of my SOA'd '83 CJ7 and found that it was pretty darn big. I only had 32s on it but had tons of room for bigger tires as BCGPER stated. I swapped my rear stock springs straight across for the YJ springs after getting some longer spring perches to try and help with axle wrap.

If you end up changing your mind on using the lift springs let me know. I intended to convert the front springs as well to YJ springs but didnt get around to it before selling my rig. I have one stock omix-ada stock YJ spring you can have. I listed in in the classifieds here but nobody contacted me about it.

redrussell

I plan to eventually be on 38.5 or 39.5 but that is after I do my full width axle swap and coil overs in the rear. I have the full width axles but I will be a while building them due to cost and then the fabrication time I will need because I hope to stretch the body and frame to LJ size so a LJ hard top fits the jeep. Then once I do that I have to build compliant fender flares so the fabrication time on the whole thing is too long for right now. Should I just make my perches or is there a premade perch that is not too much and good.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Sounds good in theory, except the LJ top won't fit the CJ tub.

I have made them in the past, but they're cheap. I would just buy some.

With that much lift you're going to need new shocks and brake lines. You may run into read driveshaft issues as well.

redrussell

Sounds good in theory, except the LJ top won't fit the CJ tub.

I have made them in the past, but they're cheap. I would just buy some.

With that much lift you're going to need new shocks and brake lines. You may run into read driveshaft issues as well.

Hence why the fabrication time would take me so long because I would be stretching the tub as well and updating the windshield to accept factory LJ hardtop.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If you want to save yourself a lot of pain, stretch a couple CJ tops to fit your needs.

You should go park your CJ next to a TJ/LJ and compare the two closely. You'll find there's a lot more involved then just the windshield.

I like your LJ thinking, the LJ was the best Jeep I've ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

idahoyj

Ive done the TJ top on a YJ twice now. Not simple, but not too bad, really. Its simplest to source a factory "roll bar" from the TJ/LJ. Modify the windshield. Fit the door surrounds. Install the proper belt rail tracks and tail gate bar. Then drive it. The LJ just has the added fun of stretching the frame and body 15"+/- first.
I have an extra YJ body section, LJ cage, LJ top with door surrounds, and LJ belt rails for my "YJ Unlimited" build.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
There are stamped steel perches from places like summit racing or speedway for like ten bucks. Can't go wrong there.

redrussell

I was looking at some from the trailer shop, redneck trailers. If I switch over to the high steer kit, brake lines and shocks I don't really need anything else do I?

neagtea

Supporting Member
Use the yj 2" arch with the reverse eyes, rubicon express was where I used to source them.
Probably will have a set for sale in Oct.