Jeep Speed Goat TJ, the anti-build thread

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That is the same Width as our buggy. I find it to be just about perfect for most situations. Not to wide and not to narrow.

That is good to know, I would normally prefer axles a bit more narrow, but this will have to work. 80" wide at the tire would be perfect, IMO.

These Method wheels are 17x8 with 5" BS, so they help pull the tires is a bit more.

The BattleBorn Gatekeeper beadlocks I have with the Krawlers mounted up only have 3.5" back spacing and it's going to make make the track with wider than it is currently. I like those wheels, but they may have to go.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
That is good to know, I would normally prefer axles a bit more narrow, but this will have to work. 80" wide at the tire would be perfect, IMO.

These Method wheels are 17x8 with 5" BS, so they help pull the tires is a bit more.

The BattleBorn Gatekeeper beadlocks I have with the Krawlers mounted up only have 3.5" back spacing and it's going to make make the track with wider than it is currently. I like those wheels, but they may have to go.
I believe our Racelines also have 5 inches of back spacing. The only way I could narrow my rig more is to modify the axle. For comps it would be nice to have it a little more narrow but I love how it works as is so it will stay what it is.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
85” is wiiiide. 82” is way better.
I think my pro mod is just under 78” in the front. Of course that doesn’t matter when it’s just holding down my garage floor 😬

You keeping the rear winch on there? That’s so 🇨🇦

Greg

Admin
85” is wiiiide. 82” is way better.
I think my pro mod is just under 78” in the front. Of course that doesn’t matter when it’s just holding down my garage floor 😬

You keeping the rear winch on there? That’s so 🇨🇦

The rear winch is awesome, Chad mentioned how neat it is for snow wheelin... I just don't don't know that I need it back there. It would be nice to have a suck-down winch, but if I'm going to run the ORI's, then that's not needed either.

It might end up on my trailer, the small Hobo Freight winch just isn't cutting it. It would open up a good spot for a cooler and I have this crazy idea of getting the TJ close to or under 4,000#'s... it's 4,400#'s currently, so I'm told.

Greg

Admin
I decided to pull the rear diff cover and see what everything looks like... and it's not looking so hot! :oops:

You can see where the welds have cracked in the bottom left corner and top right. If you turn the tires opposite directions, you can see the spider gears moving back & forth.

It's not surprising, this TJ has been wheeled hard and the diff is still welded and working.... but sticky 40's, 500 HP and pro-street style launches have taken their toll. Plus, it's 15 yrs old at this point! No biggie, for now I'll weld it up again, beef up the spider gears by adding a thick piece of plate and doing even more welding to tie it all together. Down the road, I'll be yanking the welded carrier in exchange for an ARB so it turns better. Never cared for a spool or welded diff myself.

20221031_164120-X2.jpg

I decided to pull the rear 3" wheel spacers off, there's a massive difference in width between the F & R axles. The rear is 63" WMS, I'll run it for now and see how I like it. The difference is noticeable, but I've never been a fan of spacers. (I suppose I could shorten the front axle a couple inches, make it 66" like I did on the other Jeep.)

This makes the outside of the rear tires at 78" wide, 4" overall wider than the front at 82" wide.

20221031_162029-X2.jpg

20221031_181856-X2.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The rear winch is awesome, Chad mentioned how neat it is for snow wheelin... I just don't don't know that I need it back there. It would be nice to have a suck-down winch, but if I'm going to run the ORI's, then that's not needed either.

It might end up on my trailer, the small Hobo Freight winch just isn't cutting it. It would open up a good spot for a cooler and I have this crazy idea of getting the TJ close to or under 4,000#'s... I've been told it's 4,400#'s currently, so I'm told.

You can do it. My TJ is 4280lbs and 83" or 84" wide with steel beadlocks and TSLs. I've got H2s and KRTBs now so I'd like to reweigh it and remeasure it.

MR4WD

Lost again
Goat is back from the dead and stoked to see my old rig go to a good home. Thanks @Greg helping me russeurect my old acct so i can follow:cool:

That TJ certainly got around after i sold it. I was 3rd owner after I bought in California18 years ago.

View attachment 153705
That would make Greg the 7th.

I think the 4th’s build is on here, the 5th just tinkered with it and sold it, I was the 6th and did the LS swap. Let’s see what number 7 does 😉

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I was the 4th. The 5th was from Tillamook, OR. His name is John Remington and is on IG (under his name I believe). I think he just added a few small things, windshield, speakers and possibly cleaned up the wiring?He built a Goat Built Ibex car after he moved on from the Goat. I think he is on his 2nd or 3rd buggy since the Goat. I’m on my 3rd Jeep/buggy and @Greg may be on his 6th. Kidding. Kind of. Maybe not. I don’t know? Ha!