Spotted

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Too small, too efficient. We can't have that shit around here.
Watched an interesting video the other day. Apparently the reason cars are getting bigger and bigger is because of the increasingly restrictive CAFE standards. Apparently the larger the footprint track and width the less fuel economy is required and this is how manufacturers are getting around the standards because the technology isn’t around yet for normal sized cars. They used Nissan hardbody or Toyota mini truck as an example can’t remember which, but one of those in a long bed version would have to get something like 55mpg under todays standards or the manufacturer would have to pay a penalty for every one sold.

Also showed a small Chevy truck being produced for South America, about the same sized as an 80s truck. Think they said 1.3L engine? Won’t meet NA CAFE standards

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Watched an interesting video the other day. Apparently the reason cars are getting bigger and bigger is because of the increasingly restrictive CAFE standards. Apparently the larger the footprint track and width the less fuel economy is required and this is how manufacturers are getting around the standards because the technology isn’t around yet for normal sized cars. They used Nissan hardbody or Toyota mini truck as an example can’t remember which, but one of those in a long bed version would have to get something like 55mpg under todays standards or the manufacturer would have to pay a penalty for every one sold.

Also showed a small Chevy truck being produced for South America, about the same sized as an 80s truck. Think they said 1.3L engine? Won’t meet NA CAFE standards
That, and the crash testing that they do. It takes a lot more effort to get a small car or truck to pass with five stars than it does a great big land whale.

The_Lobbster

My question is how is this remotely legal? I guess it's all fun and games until they seize your car and force you to watch them crush it!
I was looking at importing one in a few pieces and declaring it as a “kit car”, but not sure the legality of that either

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
I have passed several convoys like that between Crescent Junction and Cortez Colorado. Some enterprising Mexicans buy cheap, running vehicles in the Pacific northwest and then take them into Mexico where they fix them up and sell for a good profit. I had a short discussion with one of them at the Maverick station in Monticello, but our language skills didn't allow much understanding.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have passed several convoys like that between Crescent Junction and Cortez Colorado. Some enterprising Mexicans buy cheap, running vehicles in the Pacific northwest and then take them into Mexico where they fix them up and sell for a good profit. I had a short discussion with one of them at the Maverick station in Monticello, but our language skills didn't allow much understanding.
Ten years ago it seemed like those convoys were almost always older Toyotas. I'd see strings of pickups and 4Runners going over Soldier Summit. In the past year or so they seem to have broadened their horizons, there's a group of them that meet at the Holiday at 7200s and 201. I must see a group of them there at least once a month now, they're generally a domestic pickup or van flat-towing a sedan now.

STAG

On my grind
There’s a sweet double cab (early 90’s?) pickup for sale not far from my house. I don’t know my Toyotas but I think maybe it’s an imported hilux? I don’t know when the pickup earned the name hilux outside of US.

I’ll grab a pic of it on my way home today but I’ve never seen one like it before around here.