Northern Utah Start planning -- Saturday, March 15th -- "Last wheel before baby" run!

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Not very difficult. Off camber sections, rock ledge or two. You'll probably want tires with good traction though, 31's could get you through it. Lockers are optional, not required if there's no snow.

Troop92

can I trailer my rig to old ward? or does it have to be street legal

There's a big staging area for your truck/trailer. Your rig will be fine on Skyline and Old Ward, in whatever combination of wheeling we choose to do.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

That's, what, a 29" tire? I would guess it depends on the tread and if we're going down or coming up the trail....

I assume so, 29'... largest I can put on without lift, although some say 30 will fit without cutting, but I'm skeptical.
I got only moderate tread. done rattlesnake fine though.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I would try to run Old Ward top to bottom. You shouldn't have any issues if you put a capable vehicle in the front to break the trail (if it needs it). We only got stopped because we were going up and the snow was too deep to climb. Coming down would be much easier.

I might even make this if the weather and snow aren't ideal for skiing.

Troop92

I would try to run Old Ward top to bottom. You shouldn't have any issues if you put a capable vehicle in the front to break the trail (if it needs it). We only got stopped because we were going up and the snow was too deep to climb. Coming down would be much easier.

I might even make this if the weather and snow aren't ideal for skiing.

Would be great to have you along. Depending on how snow looks the day before (I think I'll make a scouting run up Skyline the evening prior), might even consider running it up and then coming back down.

Troop92

If you know you can go, let me know and I'll add you to the "going" list in the first post on the thread. I don't know about you guys, but if I see my name on a list, I'm less likely to bail! :D

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I don't know about the very top but a coupe weeks back up there it was a muddy mess up in the beginning of the section.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Congrats man, that's awesome. This will be our first - you?

This will be #3 for me, but my first little girl! She's already got me wrapped around her little finger and shes not even born yet!! I might actually be open for the 15th all depends on the wife. Doc said delivery no later than the 25th, but she has been having complications and he said really she could go anytime between now and then.

Troop92

This will be #3 for me, but my first little girl! She's already got me wrapped around her little finger and shes not even born yet!! I might actually be open for the 15th all depends on the wife. Doc said delivery no later than the 25th, but she has been having complications and he said really she could go anytime between now and then.

Be great to have you along -- I'd love to see your Runner -- but completely understandable if you don't make it! Hopefully everything goes smoothly, that's all we can ask for, right?

Troop92

Well, if things go smoothly you can run Old Ward in an hour, hour and a half (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That's not taking into account snow, recovery, etc if any of that is needed, of course. I was thinking about running it bottom to top, then turning about and going back down. Meet up at the staging area 10am or so?

Like I said in another post, all of this depends on how much snow, rain, etc. I'm gonna run up there day before to see snow level, conditions, etc.