State officials set forum for ending daylight saving time

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Just saw this on KSL...I think it could generate good discussion.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=30411538&nid=148

Is there really an economic impact either way? If we can save money by standardizing on a time rather than switching twice a year, I'm all for it. I believe the misconception for many is that DST actually GIVES us more hours in the day, which it does not...it's just relative to the time you see on the clock (although it's fair to argue it gives us more USABLE time). In our day and age, does it really matter if the sun goes down at 8pm rather than 9pm during the summer, besides convenience? Maybe that's the whole point of DST?

I'd be interested in other thoughts...

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I am amazed at the comments!
Like this one:
'Except for employers having to pay for that extra hour without getting an revenue. I like the idea, but it will never pass. This would have too much resistance from business owners.'
There are multiple people acting as if they get an extra hour in the day! Morons!
In have not investigated the whole thing enough to have a qualified opinion, but a little light during the evenings in the winter would be nice.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
In have not investigated the whole thing enough to have a qualified opinion, but a little light during the evenings in the winter would be nice.

I've always been of the opinion that the time changes were stupid, and should be done away with--but I'm torn on which of the other two options I'd choose! Since it's open for discussion whether we'd go to Standard Time all the time like AZ, or Daylight Savings Time all the time. I always assumed we'd be on Standard if we ever did anything....

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Ha ha. There are comments all over the interweb about DLST. We are actually causing global warming by keeping the sun up an extra hour! Buwahaha.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I like the extra hour in the evening in the summer. I don't much care to change times but like it for the summer. If we're not changing, I'd like to stick with AZ

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I say keep it on the time zone we are currently on. It would stink to be on the other one all year. I like the extra light also.

skeptic

It's all about energy, maximizing the hours of daylight during "when people are awake" time. I'm not a fan of DST personally, so I'm good with eliminating it.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
This has got to be the most pointless thing ever to spend time and money on. How about we fix things that actually need fixing before we focus on this crap?

The only thing worse than changing time twice a year would be on a different schedule half the year than 48 of the other 49 states in the nation. I hate setting up calls with folks in AZ because I have to think about it every time to figure out what time it is there.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
This has got to be the most pointless thing ever to spend time and money on. How about we fix things that actually need fixing before we focus on this crap?

Amen!!!

this guy that represent South Jordan who is sponsoring the bill is obviously bored.

Why is this even a conversation?.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member

I agree. The sad part about it though is that WAY more people will make a stink/have an opinion about this subject than they will about anything that is actually important.

amp713

DST sucks, its hard to get used to it when working a schedule like mine, 8 days of work straight and you dont have a day to think about it. If its on your days on you hit it half way through your week and it just throws you off, if you are on days off you probably arent looking at a clock at all... Id be cool with going AZ time.