Steering: Stock

Wheels and Tires: 35"x12.50 R18 General Grabber ATx's

Communication:
HAM: ICOM ID-4100A
GMRS: Midland MXT-275

50339992772_aa61145a76_b.jpg

50339837486_bd9a31a3cd_b.jpg

50339148293_f38e96a87c_b.jpg

I've loved my Trooper over the last eight and a half years, but I just got the itch about a month ago to get something new. Even with all the work and upgrades I've done to the Trooper, its still a 26-year old vehicle at heart. I wanted something newer and yes, more comfortable. So yesterday I pulled the trigger on this Armada. These have been on my radar since Nissan started basing them on the global Patrol platform in 2017. Yes, the Infiniti QX56/80 have been based on the Patrol since 2011; but those are just ugly.
Now an Armada is 80% Patrol. In Nissan's infinite wisdom, they deleted the factory locker, tuned the suspension to be more road biased, and didn't include the "Rock, Sand, and Mud" transmission modes. And the good ol'Federal impact standards mean the bumpers are totally different. All that said, the Armada is still a very competent off-road vehicle. And its freaking huge. Globally, the Patrol is a direct competitor to the 200-Series Land Cruiser, but the Patrol is actually slightly larger than that. So for me, who generally enjoys small vehicles like Samurai's and Miata's; its like driving a bus! But boy; its a bus with guts! That 390hp (equivalent to ~6 Samurais, in case you're wondering) and 401 lb-ft of torque MOVES.
So what are my plans with this barge? Well, its more or less going to replace the Trooper as my backcountry adventure vehicle. I'm still teasing out exactly what I want to do and where to get it from. As mentioned, since this isn't fully a Patrol, the aftermarket is a bit scattered. Some Patrol stuff bolts right on, some (like bumpers) do not. And the Armada specific aftermarket seems to just be spinning up. A number of companies have products that are in development right now.
In broad strokes, though, a mild lift (2"-3"), better all-terrain tires, ARB air locker in the rear, rock rails, front and rear bumpers (when they're available), and some interior stuff to make camp life a bit more luxe.
And yes, @bryson, part of the motivation in getting an Armada was because its different from a Land Cruiser. I just can't help myself.

Last edited:

J-mobzz

Have had a busy work/life schedule over the past few months but finally had some time yesterday to take the Armada out on a post lift shakedown cruise. Everything worked great, rode surprisingly well on the washboard roads. I really thought that after replacing the air shocks in the rear it would be a much rougher ride, but it was still quite supple. Had a couple spots where I got a wheel off the ground (no pictures, sorry) and the traction control is still working great. I was a bit worried that the added weight of 35's would affect that negatively, glad it didn't.

I do have a slight, intermittent click/pop coming from the left front. Couldn't see anything obvious but I need to do some diagnosis on that, but it hasn't affected the drivability at all.

51247051203_bbc58c084e_h.jpg

51247903705_64369d9157_h.jpg

51247903600_a37167971a_h.jpg

51247028763_2a23d7bd28_h.jpg

Still need to get my camber sorted. Hopefully the SuperPro eccentric bushings solve that, should be able to get those installed in the next week or so.

That thing sure did turn out! I really appreciate your interest in unique vehicles, the level of research you do, and your willingness to share.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
That thing sure did turn out! I really appreciate your interest in unique vehicles, the level of research you do, and your willingness to share.
Thanks! It's certainly been a fun build so far and I've enjoyed the challenge of it being a bit different. Can't wait to finally get the suspension fully sorted so I can start on the next batch of upgrades like a front bumper.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I've made a few updates in the past month. First I got a Front Runner Slimline II rack and 23Zero box:

51661442897_355e7d98cc_b.jpg

Even though the interior space of the Armada rivals that of most large warehouses, it is nice to be able to put some stuff up top now.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next, I got my DASH Predator bar and Warn VR EVO 12-S and was able to get it installed this weekend:

51662478438_2122b2b125_b.jpg

51661443412_ced17ecfea_b.jpg

51662930709_79eb918517_b.jpg

51662252466_7cf0989524_b.jpg

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Been so busy of late that I have neglected to update you, my adoring RME fans about the latest Armada goings on.

Not much. But I did get a 23Zero Peregrine 270 awning, which is AWESOME:

IMG_4042.jpg
IMG_4043.jpg

As well as a Rigd UltraSwing:

IMG_4034.jpg

And a Dometic CFX3 55IM, which I have been super impressed with.

Dometic CFX3 55IM 02.jpg

I also upgraded my HAM to an ICOM 4100a and installed a Midland MXT 275 GMRS radio.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Hello sir
New to the forum interested in finding out if got the alignment dialled in eventually on your rig?

Kind regards
Nope. Still about half a degree positive with the OME Patrol springs unfortunately. After many conversations with AllDog Off-Road over the past year, they finally produced a set of coils for the Y62 Armada and I'll get them next week. They'll give me 2" of lift instead of 3", but I'll be in alignment and can still fit 35's. Once I get them installed, I'll post an update, but I'm really hoping that these springs work because I'm done eating tires up.

Mojo

Hey, Stephen.

First, let me say, thanks for motivation and second, what an awesome build you have going.

I was umming and arring on whether to keep my 21 armada and build it, or flip it out for an easier platform. Seeing this post has spurred on my wanting a US spec Y62 - so forward I go.

My first question is, why didnt you go with Calmini for the lift? Second question, when you get those new springs to bring the vehicle into alignment, would you mind sending me a list of hardware so I can replicate? Third and final question, did you have to pay those rediculous Aus prices for that Dash bar? Tempted to get one fabbed here in Canada, might be a way better option for me without spending close to $5K CAD for it.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Hey, Stephen.

First, let me say, thanks for motivation and second, what an awesome build you have going.

I was umming and arring on whether to keep my 21 armada and build it, or flip it out for an easier platform. Seeing this post has spurred on my wanting a US spec Y62 - so forward I go.

My first question is, why didnt you go with Calmini for the lift? Second question, when you get those new springs to bring the vehicle into alignment, would you mind sending me a list of hardware so I can replicate? Third and final question, did you have to pay those rediculous Aus prices for that Dash bar? Tempted to get one fabbed here in Canada, might be a way better option for me without spending close to $5K CAD for it.

Thanks! It's amazing how many people are hitting me up on different forums in just the past few months who are now planning on building up their Y62 Armada's wanting info about my build. I sorta predicted that the Armada would get more attention a few years ago, so I'm glad to see it happening and hopefully it spurns the aftermarket into getting more stuff built. It really is a great platform for vehicle assisted backcountry exploring (aka as "Overlanding" by hipsters and millennials).

I didn't go with Calmini for a couple reasons. First, being an old Suzuki guy Calmini has, shall we say, a pretty bad reputation. Poor quality stuff, and even more terrible customer service. Second, I've never been a fan of diff drop kits if I can avoid it; so I rolled the dice on the OME springs. They have worked out OK, other than the camber issue. The springs I'm putting on are made by AllDogs Offroad. They're a fairly small outfit in Nebraska, but I've had quite a few conversations with their owner Chad over the past year or so, and I feel they've got things pretty well figured out and dialed in. I got the springs yesterday and will be getting them installed at the end of the month. They sell a complete kit with new struts, but I'm going to reuse my OME struts since they're in good shape still. You can find all their Armada stuff here.

Regarding the front bumper, I got it from Nisstec in Denver. They worked with DASH to modify the Predator bar for the US-Spec Y62 platform since the frames are different. I'm not sure if the Predator bar I have will work with the '21 Armada because of the facelift that happened that year. You could call Nisstec and ask if they've had anyone install one on a '21+ and how it worked out.

If you have any other questions, feel free to hit me up.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
A buddy of mine has an armada on 35’s, DIY hidden winch, and is almost done with his home built sliders. It did impressively well on our last outing. He’s considering swapping the rear axle for a titan one to be able to get a rear locker. He went with the calmini lift and hasn’t had any issues that I know of. Very cool vehicle!
073B94DA-C64D-49DE-894A-DE2AECE4DE2A.jpeg18C430E2-8E65-4CC3-9377-BD8A366C8E79.jpegB0403583-B51F-4AD7-B780-A1843E884FEF.jpeg

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
A buddy of mine has an armada on 35’s, DIY hidden winch, and is almost done with his home built sliders. It did impressively well on our last outing. He’s considering swapping the rear axle for a titan one to be able to get a rear locker. He went with the calmini lift and hasn’t had any issues that I know of. Very cool vehicle!
View attachment 158856View attachment 158857View attachment 158858
I like the hidden winch.
Is that the guy who owns the West Valley Chick-Fil-A?

Mojo

Thanks! It's amazing how many people are hitting me up on different forums in just the past few months who are now planning on building up their Y62 Armada's wanting info about my build. I sorta predicted that the Armada would get more attention a few years ago, so I'm glad to see it happening and hopefully it spurns the aftermarket into getting more stuff built. It really is a great platform for vehicle assisted backcountry exploring (aka as "Overlanding" by hipsters and millennials).

I didn't go with Calmini for a couple reasons. First, being an old Suzuki guy Calmini has, shall we say, a pretty bad reputation. Poor quality stuff, and even more terrible customer service. Second, I've never been a fan of diff drop kits if I can avoid it; so I rolled the dice on the OME springs. They have worked out OK, other than the camber issue. The springs I'm putting on are made by AllDogs Offroad. They're a fairly small outfit in Nebraska, but I've had quite a few conversations with their owner Chad over the past year or so, and I feel they've got things pretty well figured out and dialed in. I got the springs yesterday and will be getting them installed at the end of the month. They sell a complete kit with new struts, but I'm going to reuse my OME struts since they're in good shape still. You can find all their Armada stuff here.

Regarding the front bumper, I got it from Nisstec in Denver. They worked with DASH to modify the Predator bar for the US-Spec Y62 platform since the frames are different. I'm not sure if the Predator bar I have will work with the '21 Armada because of the facelift that happened that year. You could call Nisstec and ask if they've had anyone install one on a '21+ and how it worked out.

If you have any other questions, feel free to hit me up.
thanks for this!!

Your reasons on Calmini are why I havent hit buy on their product yet, many unsatisfied customers out there.

I've landed here - (https://www.alldogsoffroad.com/alld...suspension-lift-kit-2nd-gen-nissan-y62-armada) but do not see the lift size in inches, ideas? Happen to know if this setup clears 35s?

Emailing Nisstec now, thanks for that!

Anyone tried sourcing Patrol Y62 gears from Aus? Are the Diff housings the same? I'm tempted to order the stock Patrol gears for the front and rear and see if they fit in the US spec I have. That would imply I can install their lockers if it worked.