Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

sixstringsteve

well I read it on the interweb, so it must be true :D

I really don't know though. I guess I'll just try it how it is, then see if it's ok. I have heard that the 2wd 4cyl trucks (89 and up) had the dual diaphragm. I don't know why the 2wd would have it and not the 4wd. Any idea of how to check if I have the big or little parts? I know the 4 cyl calipers on the 3rd gens re only about 1% smaller than v6 calipers.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
You should have the dual diaphragm booster (I have never seen one that wasn't dual on those) but you won't have the big the master cylinder. They only came on the one ton t100. If your running the tundra brakes, your master cylinder will work fine but the t100 will bring :)

sixstringsteve

I got a ton done today. Thank you for your help Mike (AWZ)!

I needed to drill the two long stud holes. In the past I've relied on the gasket to get me close, but it wasn't quite right when I did it based off the gasket. So I opted for a new method.

IMG_0942.JPG

I used a LONG 1/4" drill bit. Since it was a bit smaller than the hole in the third, I decided to make up the space with some good old electrical tape. That way, it'd sit snug in the third, and give me a nice straight hole in the middle of the housing.

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

It worked perfectly. I can't imagine a better way to do it, even with a mill or a drill press.

sixstringsteve

after I tapped the new holes, I put the studs in.

IMG_0947.JPG

Since I shaved the drain plug, I decided to jb weld some magnets in there to catch any stray metal shavings.

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

It's crazy how the metal in the JB weld gets drawn to one side of the magnet and pushed away from the other.
IMG_0950.JPG

Test fit of the third before I goop it all up.

IMG_0951.JPG

It fit perfectly, and I bolted it in.

sixstringsteve

When I was hanging the axle, I noticed the leaf springs coming in contact with the bolt that holds on the locker actuator cover (I think that's what it is). The springs are getting hung up on the bolt. I'm thinking of just replacing it with a button-head style bolt, but I'm curious what others have done. I've never heard of this problem before.

IMG_0955.JPG

any ideas? Rick, does yours do this?
IMG_0956.JPG

sixstringsteve

thanks. With duals and a HP up front, i should have a great front driveshaft angle. Now if I could only figure out the best solution to clear that bolt...

sixstringsteve

Rick had a good suggestion: shave the bolt down and add a slot for a flathead screwdriver.

I don't want to move the perch, then my axle wouldn't be centered on the frame. THanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Max Power

Bryce
Those six shooter knuckles always get my attention. I will have to get some when my steering ram rips off a steering arm. Great progress. What finish spray paint do you use?

sixstringsteve

I'm using the cheap rustoleum painter's touch flat black. I like it. It's not the most durable paint, but it covers extremely well, it dries fast, and it looks good. The secret is to lay a good coat of self-etching primer first, then do multiple coats of black.

Last edited: