Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

sixstringsteve

Here's a link to the LEDs I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110683425679#ht_2565wt_1139

I just bought 20 more from this seller, but the shipping and handling charges were 1.39 PER light, so instead of $25 for the purchase (like I assumed), it was $48. They don't combine shipping. Oh well. $48 is still a great deal for all these. I'm sure I"ll have some spares left over that I'd be willing to sell if you don't want to wait a month to get it from China.

***DISCLAIMER*** I have not tried these as rock lights, or underwater. All I did was connect it to my battery to see if it was bright or not, and it surprised me how bright they were. They're at least twice as bright as my tantrums. I actually trust that they'll be more waterproof than the tantrums as well. I plan on using them in the interior of the vehicle as well as in the truck bed area, under the hood, and as rock lights. I doubt they'll be as good as a cheap set of HF halogens for the rocks, but at least they won't draw too much power. It'll be fun to experiment with them.

If anyone decides to get a few, hit me up so i can see how you're going to use them.

Last edited:

airmanwilliams

I have those same lights in green under my sami right now and love them. it was hard to mount them at first, thought I would use two sided tape but wanted them held on better so on the sides I put holes in the rockers I would put twist ties through to wrap around these and then filled in the holes and then on the front and back I just mounted them to the hard brakelines or anything else small like that so I could use a twist tie to hold them on.

airmanwilliams

I was hoping too which is why I kindof have them tucked away and close to things like the axles, they quit working on the way out to that night run due to some wiring issues but yes they will be for rocklights. I think I paid 2.50 for 3 of them from a different seller oversees and I will be picking up a few different colors and a whole bunch of them to see if anyone else could use them.

Coco

I just bought a bunch of these from trail gear. Should be here today. Mark bought them too, and is so far really pleased. He put them on a about a month ago.

sixstringsteve

this post won't make sense unless you understand backspacing. Go here to understand backspacing: https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

So I'm trying to determine the backspacing I need on this rig. Currently, the tires are hitting the leaf springs on full lock, so I need something with a deeper dish.

Stock FJ steelie wheels (17x7.5, 4.5"BS)
IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Here we are with my old Cragar Soft 8 wheels off my '81 (now property of Colton). There are 17x9 with 2.0" BS. So the end of the tire sticks out 4" past my fj wheels.

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Ok, now this is with a 2" spacer, and a 1.5" spacer with the FJ wheels. This will give me an idea of where the outside of the Soft 8s will sit. I would obviously never run this many spacers on the street. This is for visualization purposes only.

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

As much as I love the look, they stick out WAY too far. Since this is a DD, I need to keep the tires under the vehicle more. I don't want to be getting pulled over every week for my tires sticking out, and I don't want to make or buy fenders for it. If it were going to be used 90% offroad and 10% on road, I'd build fenders for it like Jeff (dirtsqrl) builds.

sixstringsteve

I like the 1.5" and 2" spacer options the best. So that would translate to a 3.0-2.5" BS on a 17x7.5

or a 3.5-3.0" BS on a 17x8

So now I need to determine if I want a set of 4 wheel spacers ($180), or sell the FJs and order some custom soft 8's at 3-3.5" BS ($450).

OR... I could go with some beadlocks, but I don't think I want to run beadlocks on the road. I know they're illegal on the road, but I wouldn't be worried about being stopped for beadlocks.

Hardcastle

I’ve found it beneficial to run spacers on a DD/weekend crawler. When it comes inspection time you can remove the spacers and tuck the tires under the body a little more.

Maybe something to consider if the inspection places you go to are strict.

sixstringsteve

If I were doing more crawling in it, then I would totally take you up on the offer. I want to keep it close to stock on this build, since it'll do 90% daily driver duty. If I did fenders, then an exo would just be a little more tube, then I might as well do a flat belly, then bob the bed, then it just goes on and on until I can't drive it on the road :D

I'm fighting the urge, believe me.