Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

sixstringsteve

THanks john. It was good to see you guys again. The brakes feel great. I took it for a 17 mile drive to craj in the ring and pinion. I definitely need rear shocks and front bump stops before I take it out again. but itscoming along. My power steering is acting up, and my tires rub the springs and bumper like crazy (no big surprise)

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I really think that you need to post several photos of the truck.. My eyes get strained and tired from staring at your avatar.

sixstringsteve

this is all I've got.

IMG_1012.JPG

I'll go get it washed then take some more this weekend.

sixstringsteve

thanks guys. I'm really happy with it. I'll either be getting some wheel spacers, or ordering some new wheels soon. I'd like a bit wider stance.

Anyone have any 1.5" spacers they'll let me borrow for a week or so to see how that spacing does for me?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Wider stance to get the front tires off of the springs? Or more for cosmetic? If I had to vote, I would vote to keep it where it is. Just widen the front? or both front and back?

sixstringsteve

Wider stance to get the front tires off of the springs? Or more for cosmetic? If I had to vote, I would vote to keep it where it is. Just widen the front? or both front and back?

It's currently rubbing the front leaves quite a bit. I'm not sure how much they're limiting my steering, but a u-turn has to be a 3-point turn right now because of rubbage.

cosmetically, I prefer about 1" sticking outside the fender. But with that comes all the salt, dirt, mud, and snow sprayed all over the side of my truck, which I don't love.

If it weren't rubbing right now, I'd definitely keep it as is.

I'm thinking the rear is going to need to be widened as well. It looks like it'll hit the inner bed fenders when flexed out.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

What's up with your p/s?

I haven't even looked at it yet, but on the drive it would only work for about the first 10 degrees from zero. so 10 degrees left, and 10 degrees right would feel fine, but after that it'd start sqealing, and it felt like manual steering at that point.

When I was lengthening my steering shaft and making sure the box was in the right place, I turned the steering all the way left, then all the way right. I must have done it too quickly, because PS fluid started squirting out of the reservoir. I haven't checked the level yet, or even looked at it. I'm pretty clueless regarding power steering, so it'll be a learning experience for me.

sixstringsteve

Thanks Rick. James just called me and he has a set. He lives around the corner from me, so I'm going to test fit em tonight.

sixstringsteve

I bled the steering tonight, and it's all fixed. I still need to:

- cut front ubolts
- mock up front bump stops
- rear shocks
- front bumper/inner fender trim (in front of wheel).
- set steering stops

At that point I figure it'll be drivable on the road.

sixstringsteve

I just tried out my led lights I plan to use as rock lights, and I'm thrilled with how bright they are. THey're way brighter than my old tantric lights.