Toyota streetable spool set up

Will3161

I think what everyone is failing to understand is the idea that what works great off road isn't necessarily the best on road. In any case, a spool setup that worked OK on the street (but was still kind of a pain) but worked fantastic off-road would, imo, be worth the trouble. After all, even going so far as to put a lift on your vehicle renders it less streetable, as does putting more aggressive off road tires. So, if one could put a strong spool setup in a truck or jeep and have fully locked axles off road, it would be worth it. Cost is relative; sometimes things can be picked up cheap.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've got an idea for you. I've got a spool in the rear of my "Jeep". It'd be pretty easy to pull my 14 bolt shaft and go for a spin. It'd save you a bunch of upfront cash for your Toyota thing.

I think what everyone is failing to understand is the idea that what works great off road isn't necessarily the best on road. In any case, a spool setup that worked OK on the street (but was still kind of a pain) but worked fantastic off-road would, imo, be worth the trouble. After all, even going so far as to put a lift on your vehicle renders it less streetable, as does putting more aggressive off road tires. So, if one could put a strong spool setup in a truck or jeep and have fully locked axles off road, it would be worth it. Cost is relative; sometimes things can be picked up cheap.

Huh? The spool is MARGINAL on the street. It's predictable, but noisy and kind of a pain, not to mention treadwear on spendy tires. The spool DOESN'T work fantastic off-road. It's VERY predictable, but not the best solution. SUPER reliable, though. My "Jeep" was built on the cheap. Thus the spool in the rear. I'm likely moving to a Detroit in the rear (I'd like a selectable) and will kick my spool to the curb.

Basically, for me, the spool is not worth it. It's cheap and it works, but far from the ideal situation.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Detroits are a lot less irritating on the street than a spool, for sure. Also predictable. :D But I'd really like a selectable too, since I DD the Blazer and I am really not looking forward to driving in the snow with it. :D

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Uhm, yeah, I don't have a spool in the chevy, but its lincoln locked (that way when I got it.) Try driving a light weight rig in the snow with a spool. Not fun at all. Its predictable, I predict that my truck will only go straight. A spool is a far cry from favorable for any on road application. In some vehicles it may be tolerable, but not the preferred by any means.

Will3161

I can't believe this thread has two pages when all it needed was this ^.

The forum is about discussion. And since a spool is cheap, and durable, that is reason enough to entertain the idea. Some of you guys should think outside the box more instead of immediately dismissing an idea.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The forum is about discussion. And since a spool is cheap, and durable, that is reason enough to entertain the idea. Some of you guys should think outside the box more instead of immediately dismissing an idea.

Well sure it is. But some people have been thinking outside the box awhile, which is why ideas like this get tossed quickly. ;)

That said, good for the OP for thinking about it. A tiny bit more research, say, on the function and rationale of differentials, or the cost of FF kits, would have saved a few panties from the terrible twisting they got in this thread. Really, the cost issue might be mitigated by DIY'ing it...if it was a fullsize. I liked Marc's offer to test function with his 14 bolt. It takes less than 5 minutes to pull the shaft, and probaly about 30 sec on the road to see why the functional issues are what they are. It was a thought, which got some valid discussion and no personal insults, so the board is better for it, the OP learned a few things and isn't out any money. Win!!

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest

a question was asked.. the brain trust that is RME answered with their experience. If you don't like the answer or it doesn't fit in your outside the box world don't follow their advice.. if it doesn't work please come back and tell everyone that you decided to do it the way you wanted and that it sucked :)..

And yes a spool is cheap and durable.. it is the added hubs, shafts ect that make it cost more than a ARB but with much less functionality.

Edit: Tacoma stop typing faster than me!