Jeep Stretch YJ information wanted

jeep09

Hi, I am just starting a strecth YJ SOA. I am in the process now of the D60's and V8 swap/front winch. The Yj thing is fairly new so talking to someone who isusing stuff that works makes sense. I want to get a 100" and will buy the Genright tank and stretch rear armour. I have BDS 2" military wrap springs I was going to use before the stretch, but now I see XJ Waggy ...What springs work best for front/ rear

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hi, I am just starting a strecth YJ SOA. I am in the process now of the D60's and V8 swap/front winch. The Yj thing is fairly new so talking to someone who isusing stuff that works makes sense. I want to get a 100" and will buy the Genright tank and stretch rear armour. I have BDS 2" military wrap springs I was going to use before the stretch, but now I see XJ Waggy ...What springs work best for front/ rear

I'm using XJ front and rear. Reason: They are easily available and fairly cheap. Waggy springs are a little harder to get a hold of and a little more money. I'm at 100". You WILL NEED A TRACTION BAR on each axle.

jeep09

I'm using XJ front and rear. Reason: They are easily available and fairly cheap. Waggy springs are a little harder to get a hold of and a little more money. I'm at 100". You WILL NEED A TRACTION BAR on each axle.
Thanks
do the stock YJ spring hangers line up? Do I have to go with a spring hanger reversal? What year/model springs would work best? Do you have any pictures of ride height, Traction basar design brackets...

1993yj

I am running stock XJ leafs on the rear with an added main leaf (the stock XJ pack was too soft) and some YJ 2" springs up front with a 101" wheel base. I only have a traction bar on the rear and don't need one on the front of mine. As for spring hangers lining up with the perches on your axles, it will depend on what year and vehicle your axles are out of. I have heard of a lot of people bending their front waggy springs in this setup.

jeep09

I am running stock XJ leafs on the rear with an added main leaf (the stock XJ pack was too soft) and some YJ 2" springs up front with a 101" wheel base. I only have a traction bar on the rear and don't need one on the front of mine. As for spring hangers lining up with the perches on your axles, it will depend on what year and vehicle your axles are out of. I have heard of a lot of people bending their front waggy springs in this setup.
How is the length of the XJ rear springs vs the YJ hangers? About how much should I expect to gain form the rear strecth/front? are YJ hangers needing to be moved?

mbryson

Supporting Member
How is the length of the XJ rear springs vs the YJ hangers? About how much should I expect to gain form the rear strecth/front? are YJ hangers needing to be moved?

:confused:
I don't really know what you're asking? The XJ springs are about 6" longer than the YJ ones. The offset pin on the XJ springs will gain about 5-6" per spring vs. the YJ units. You'll need to fabricate/weld/acquire a rear hanger for the rear spring and likely a front hangers for the front springs. You're somewhat limited by your steering box location, but there are other options around that as well (Astro steering box or moving the steering box from the stock location, full-hydro, etc.)

1993yj

I see what you are asking now. mbryson answered it in the post above. I was referring to width of the spring hangers versus the perches on the axles.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have two that are stretched at my house. One that is leafs and one that is leaf front airshock rear.

jeep09

thanks for the update, i am sorting it out but i think the waggy fronts will work
- I am not totally sure on the back? I am really considering using my BDS rear springs and moving my hangers as required back 4 " or till it is to close too the genright tank

mbryson

Supporting Member
thanks for the update, i am sorting it out but i think the waggy fronts will work
- I am not totally sure on the back? I am really considering using my BDS rear springs and moving my hangers as required back 4 " or till it is to close too the genright tank

Nothing wrong with using what you have. Snuggle it up as close to the tank as you dare and run it. Why not run the BDS in the front?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
In the past, I have redrilled the hole for my center pin in my main spring. This allowed me to fine tune the axle placement of my front axle to avoid steering parts. Worked great.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Not trying to stealthe thread, but I'm wanting to use XJ leaves on the front of a CJ.

Can I use the orig. rear hanger locations & extend the fronts without stearing issues?? Or do I have to move the rear hangers back??:)

duallyguy

I run 2 1/2 yj lift springs in a SOA with an extra old man leaf up front ,I have streched my front by 4 inches using a shackle reversal and had to move my steering box forward a few inches to clear the grillshell due to I'm on a 95 YJ frame....I also run XJ 2 1/2 lift springs in the rear and as noted in the previous posts they are longer and require moving your shackle back on the frame.. I have also had to build a track bar for the rear and am pleased to say that it will twist with the best and keeps the wheels on the trail very well.

reddman

Fabber
My $0.02

-Stretch your wheelbase as long as you can.

-If you build a traction bar for the rear, make sure it's mounted on the passengers side.

duallyguy

reddman,you mention the track bar on the pass side...I mounted mine to the drivers and it works very well, space was the deciding factor..whats the advantage of a pass side mount? Curious.

cheepin

Personally I would avoid the XJ springs.I don't like the extra length they add which creates a nice rock catcher.Use the springs you have and move the stock hangers to get your desired WB.
As far as traction bar I don't see that it matters what side it is on.Centered would be the best.

cheepin

Not trying to stealthe thread, but I'm wanting to use XJ leaves on the front of a CJ.

Can I use the orig. rear hanger locations & extend the fronts without stearing issues?? Or do I have to move the rear hangers back??:)
Your going to need to move the hangers around to get the axle where you want.You can only move it forward about 1" before creating steering issues.For a CJ you can get a steering box bracket that moves it forward 1 1/4" from MORE.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
A rear traction bar on the passenger side will tend to counteract the natural torquing of the vehicle under power, where if it's on the driver's side it will tend to accentuate the lean.

Sometimes it just can't go where you want it, so you put it other places. Just make sure it's as long as you can make it--the shorter it is, the more it will lift, hop, etc. (no matter where it is)