Tallz CJ5 Buildup

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Don't weld the perches up until you have ALL your weight on.Like the body/cage/etc.Are you stretching the WB at all?Looking good.

Also take into account your new springs will settle. I didn't so this and my driveline angle is now screwed up.

Tallz

The springs are still the old ones that came with it. They are out of a well worn Suburban. I was just going to run them the way they are for now.

Do you think I should replace them for new ones with military wrap? If I add them later will it screw up driveline angles as well?

cheepin

Try them and see what happens.You can always throw some new ones in later.I think they may be too stiff in a way lighter rig.You may not even get any axlewrap with these.I never had any on any of my Chevy Subs or Blazers.

Tallz

Any updates on this?

Yeah, Ive havent done a lot as of lately. I got married recently and life is just now getting back to normal.

I did buy some YJ leaf springs for the rear with the rebuilt axle I put in. I put on the beadlocks and tires to see what it looked like and test the flex on the rear and really noticed a difference by only jacking it up. Much more flex.

I have started breaking down the front Dana 44 to check for damage and then rebuild it. So far just a grooved rotor, all else looks great. I will start ordering the crossover steering parts here soon for it. I am also looking into a Redneck steering assist kit for it. The front is looking like it will triple the cost of rebuilding the rear axle. But all necessary components.

I will post some new photos this weekend as I am looking on spending most of saturday working a little on the axle. Most of my time will be used installing MORE motor mounts and hopefully the NP435/Dana 300 I purchased a while back.

cheepin

The MORE mounts kick ass.I put them on my old CJ-7.They bolted right in.Only thing I had to mod.Was drill and tap the pass. mount to clamp the fuel line down.

435/D300 combo will be nice.Are your YJ leaves new or used?On the rear of mine I used 2 used YJ packs.Cut the bushings off one set and put that under the main leaf of the second then added the next leaf down out of the first.Ended up with IIRC 6 leaves.I also moved the shackle hanger forward one bolt hole with 4" long shackles.It had crazy flex for leaves.Did have to do a traction bar for it.

Tallz

Yes my leafs are an used 4 springs set. I also have the fronts that are still not mounted. I am a little worried about the 4 spring pack and whether or not they will hold up the bigger axles. That 6 leaf pack sounds like the way to go! I had a little trouble following the proceedure, so I drew out a way to show what I read below.

First set (springs numbered in order from top to bottom)

Second Set

So I cut off the bushing off the #5 spring, that I get. Then I move leafs 5,6,7 and 8 under spring #1, correct? Then move spring #2 under spring #8? And then put it back together?

thanks

cheepin

Actually, the springs would be.

1 5 2 6 7 8

On the front I ran a stock 5 leaf front YJ pack for a while.They flattened out.And sat the axle on the bumpstop.Rancho bumpstop in stock location.So I took a Superlift 4"' lift CJ rear pack and played with pulling and swapping,untill it sat level and gave me about 3" of uptravel.I don't remember what leafs ended up being used.I can try and take a look at it next weekend.Sold that one to a buddy.And I will see him next weekend.

Tallz

I just bought another set of wrangler springs. I know have enough leafs to do the swap you are talking about for the front and the rear. I take it your swap will work for both front or rear?

Tallz

So yesterday I worked on the jeep and got the MORE motor mounts in and the brake booster/master cylinder in. I also worked on pulling the old 10 bolt front axle out in preperation of the new axle.

I was going to rebuild the Dana 44 that I pulled off an old Chevy last year, but I found one recently that has the high steer kit on it with new axles shafts for sale on KSL. So I pick that up tomorrow. I figure the price is less than half of what I would spend for the high steer alone. Its a great deal but a big hit to the pocket. Now I need to sell some things!

PHotos will be added when the camera battery charges.

Tallz

Still working on this?

Yes, but slowly this winter. I got the front spring hangers redone. I used outboard platforms and spring hangers from Ruffstuff. They are stronger and less likely to hang up. The front is ready for an axle.

The axle is another story. I bought an used Dana 44 from a guy that had a high steer kit on it as well as new outer joints, spindles and Warn hubs.. When I opened it up I found that the ring gear and carrier were chewed up (see photos). It seems the guys I bought it from welded the spiders and it came apart. Note to self...dont buy axle without opening up the pumpkin and looking inside!

So the new outer joints, spindles, hubs and high steer kit will go on the other 444 axle I already had. I will definately use a locker instead of welding that one. Probably a LockRight for now and an air one later.

I also have the Centerforce clutch ready to go in and the 435/300 ready. I just need to find the time. Its been snowing a lot here and with the holidays, no personal time to spare. Hopefully I will get a few days next week to work on it. I will include some more photos as our camera fell in the creek last week while snowshoeing in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 11

cheepin

That sucks!Good to see your still working on it.Atleast you have another axle to use the good parts on.I ran a Detroit E-Z locker for years in a D44.Just besure to twinstick the t-case.Lets you have a tighter turning radius when in 2wd low.

Tallz

We finally replaced the camera and I got a few pictures of what I have done recently.

Spring hangers on the front end leaf springs are done. I gained about 3 inches of clearance from the old to the new and a much smaller area to get hung up on rocks. I used Ruffstuff large outboard platforms and 3" spring hangers. On the front is 6" shackels, but I will probably end up with 4" shackles later to get the stance a little lower.

I put the new axle in so I can move the Jeep soon as I am moving and will finally have a garage to work from. I cant wait to have an area to work int that is not weather dependant!

Next to do is stretch the rear out about 8". I will firts build a rear bumper to mount shackle hangers from and get that extra distance in the stretch. Then I will remount the spring hangers back the same distance I get from the rear bumper mounted hangers. I estimate it will be about 8" but I will know more when I get into it.

I also have the centerforce clutch, NP435 and Dana 300 to mount as well. Lots to do this spring!

Attachments

• Front Hanger Feb 2010.jpg
    Front Hanger Feb 2010.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Spring Hanger Feb 2010.jpg
    Spring Hanger Feb 2010.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Jeep Feb 2010.jpg
    Jeep Feb 2010.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 14

cheepin

Glad to you see you working on it.I hear ya on the no garge thing.I haven't been able to work on mine for a few weekends because of snow.