Teraflex Plus Disappointing "Customer Service" Experience(s)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
I recently received a pair of YJ Revolver "Z-Box" shackles from my wife for Christmas, the problem is I don't own a YJ (she still gets an "A" for effort). Thinking I was SOL I called Teraflex Plus and talked to AJ, who was EXTREMELY helpful; he said I could bring them down, even without a receipt, and get store credit. Excellent, I thought.

I hopped in the ZJ and went out to 53rd South in salt lake to exchange them for something I could use. AJ wasn't there I assume, and upon talking to who I assume was the Manager, (didn't catch his name, but a big dude with dark spiky-gel hair) he first told me that I would be charged a 15% restock fee, which was ok with me, sounded fair...I had no receipt after all. Then a few minutes later he said that since I had no receipt he would give me $80 store credit: (catalog price of $195-$30 restock, then take HALF of that amount I guess? :confused:). I voiced my concerns and left as I could see it would be the Teraflex experience I was used to...

There are three reasons this leaves me frustrated enough for an internet rant: 1) they are a brand-specific part who NO ONE else makes (it's not like I stole them from Walmart and was trying to return them to Teraflex for crack money), 2) I was only hoping for store credit (which I had been told on the phone was OK) so I could put MORE money into their business and 3: this is my 3rd horrible experience with Teraflex.....let's rewind a few years.

May 2000: I had just purchased a new 2000 TJ and had a local Big O (Bountiful) talk me in to a Teraflex 4" lift over a Rubicon. I had them install it and on my first 4 wheeling trip ever, broke a control arm (lower front driver, seperated at the threads)...called Big O, they said to take it up with Teraflex. Went to Teraflex plus, they told me it could only be installation error and would NOT warranty the arm, but would sell me another one! How helpful. Ended up insisting that Big O make it right, and even though they had installed the lift correctly, they refunded the cost of the Teraflex lift and installed a Rubicon 4.5" lift which was more expensive but worth it. I swore never to do business with Teraflex again. But it taught me two important lessons: don't ever let anyone else install anything on your Jeep, and don't expect customer service from Teraflex.

October 2005: My new project was a 94 XJ. I had a 5.5" Rubicon long arm lift installed and was looking for more flex from the leaves. This is about the same time Revolver shackles were cool so I bought a pair right before a Moab trip from Teraflex Plus. On potato salad hill both revolvers unloaded at the same time pointing the pinion at the gas tank, breaking the rear shaft joint and a main leaf on my driver side leaf spring. The good news, the Revolvers still looked brand new. After a few repairs I limped the Jeep home and immediately removed the Revolvers and took them back to Teraflex Plus and asked for a refund (with a receipt). They refused the refund because they had been installed and blamed the unloading issue on the leaf springs I was using (as though you can't run Revolvers with lift springs, thus eliminating ANY practical use for Revolvers). So no refund, even WITH a receipt from within a month. Once again I left very frustrated. The good that came out of this was that Rubicon warranted BOTH rear springs, even shipped them for free, and said it wasn't the first set of springs Revolvers had cost them. I literally threw the Revolvers away because I couldn't sell them to anyone and feel good about it because of what they did to my Jeep.

These three experiences are 100% opinion-based personal experiences and are not meant to dissuade anybody from doing business with Teraflex Plus...

On a side note I have a pair of brand-new, never used YJ Teraflex Z Boxes....anyone have a small boat that needs an anchor?

Last edited:

Max Power

Bryce
Bummer. I would call back and talk with the guy you talked to originally. Every company has a hard ass working for them that ends up pissing people off. Did you ask your wife what she paid for them? It is common practice to refund the lowest recent sale price.

This is the first bad review I have heard of Teraflex and will give them the benefit of the doubt.

4554x4

always modifing something
I understand you are frustrated. I believe you would be much better served to take it up with the manager before posting on here. Many things can get resolved with a little patience and talking to the right people.

Had you done that, I would have greater respect for you and your concerns.

Chevycrew

Its funny how a customer who is teated poorly in their opinion is always the bad guy when they call out a shop.

He states he assumes he talked to the manager, so in this case, where does he go from here?

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
FWIW other vendors sell teraflex. Quadratec and others I'm sure, so I can see where they are coming from. If your wife bought them direct from Tera, she should have a reciept or credit card history to show, or even the box they came in may have a barcode that can be scanned.

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
Keep in mind also that it isn't this one incident that bugs me...it's a combination of all three...I realize now I will probably get no help with this issue (either) and the z boxes will end up with the revolvers at the landfill...and I also realize that several people on here are affiliated in some way with teraflex so I'm not looking for sympathy or respect for my issue...just sharing the details of a few bad experiences.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Teraflex/plus storefront has disappointed me lately too. I went in to pick up a set of degree shims, hoping they would have steel shims but I would have bought aluminum if they had any. "Nobody runs leafs anymore, so we don't carry anything for leaf sprung vehicles"

Tera has developed some great products over the years, but the store itself is less than charming.

Last edited:

4554x4

always modifing something
I am not the Manager. Had you asked for the Manager, you would have gotten Ben. I suggest that you call and ask for him on Monday.

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
Very well could have been Ben that I talked to...around 6'2" with spiky dark hair? Just tell him to PM me when you go to work on Monday at Teraflex...ha ha.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have had my share of disappointments with some of the staff at Teraflex, including almost having a wheel come off after they did an alignment 3 years ago that included removing the wheel to weld a component. Also took the Jeep to them about 4 years ago to seal up my tranny pan, picked it up still leaking and had to bring it back, they then decided to just throw a bunch of RTV on it in hopes of fixing it. That lasted a few days of no leaks and it started leaking again, I dropped the pan to discover all of the RTV in gobs everywhere and that the pan was indeed bent. How hard is it really to check the pan with a straightedge? Needless to say, I keep my buying elsewhere as much as possible if I can help it.

Cherokeester

Just FYI, Revolver shackles are about the most worthless pos parts out there. I would never put any on my vehicles, just the concept is agony. The only thing they are good for is a 6 foot trip up a rti ramp.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I can't speak to much of what is posted here. The ultimate Jeep was having issues that no one could diagnose for more than a year. I PM'd Carl (when he was there) and told him of my woes. He invited me to come by so he could have a look. Within 10 mins, they diagnosed the problem and fixed it at no charge. No other dealer or shop could fix it at any price. For this, TeraflexPlus will always have a special place in my heart... Carl too.

That being said, threads like these are lame... and so is the dog pile mentality that moves peeps to participate. Just sayin'

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Pretty sure Ben is blonde, FWIW.
Ha ha... no. Ben is as described previously EXCEPT that he is not 6'2". He is closer to 5'9" or so.
I have had my share of disappointments with some of the staff at Teraflex, including almost having a wheel come off after they did an alignment 3 years ago that included removing the wheel to weld a component. Also took the Jeep to them about 4 years ago to seal up my tranny pan, picked it up still leaking and had to bring it back, they then decided to just throw a bunch of RTV on it in hopes of fixing it. That lasted a few days of no leaks and it started leaking again, I dropped the pan to discover all of the RTV in gobs everywhere and that the pan was indeed bent. How hard is it really to check the pan with a straightedge? Needless to say, I keep my buying elsewhere as much as possible if I can help it.
I know there is more to your situation than you say, so I don't think it's fair for you to lay blame like you are...

I agree that the revolvers and related parts (Z-Box) are not ideal parts for anything but a ramp-champ.

I do think the OP would have much better luck with a return visit, and make sure you explain your situation better. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't remedied to your satisfaction. Just remember, the better you handle yourself and the situation, the better you will be treated, and the happier you will be with the outcome.

Why is there no receipt? If your wife bought them at TeraFlex+, I know for a fact that there is a computer record of the transaction...

Just my $.02.

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
<----is "lame" ha ha...just sharing personal opinions about a few negative experiences as a customer...sorry dude.

I hope you're not apologizing to me... I understand your frustation. My comment about not being "fair for you to lay blame" was not directed at you... It was directed at someone who I know isn't explaining his experiences completely.

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
Sound advice for sure bryson, being respectful as a customer will always get you better results. However, there will be no return visit (I have already thrown away the z boxes, felt good!). I just couldn't believe that 3 experiences, spread over 10+ years, have all been negative...bad timing I guess.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
As a shop owner and parts dealer i know that customer service needs to be first, the fact that this has happened at teraflex+ or any other shop makes me sad and disapointed. i hope your future experinces are much better

Status
Not open for further replies.