The “200 sq ft” max “shed” build

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
if it’s just for a shed, 20’ conex and be done. Make a cute shade sail to the side for fun.

If you are spending real money and effort for a building, pull the permit and build big.

Or, 2 conex set 20’ apart. Shade sail between them. Shaded parking and tons of storage. You can do 2 units less than 200sf each 😉

Last edited:

The_Lobbster

Tracked down a 20x10 shed I'm trying to score cheap. Been sitting behind one of the campuses at work, but doesn't belong to MTECH, it belongs to the private school next door, yet it's on our property for some reason. We are going to be fencing off this area, so it has to be moved pretty much ASAP. The school said they'll come move it, but entertained the idea of me buying it. Kinda rough shape, but overall would be useable with some work. Hoping I can score it for cheap or free. Excuse the poor google earth pic.

shed.jpg

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Drill pipe? Thats what I’ve been eyeing to use if I end up building this myself.
I think that is what it is. He worked for Thiokol for years and it's probably an out building he picked up working there, he gave my dad a similar frame to one and it's heavy walled pipe. The building has been there for 40+ years and still looks good.

STAG

On my grind
I decided I didn’t want to deal with building the #dontcallitaSXS build out in the elements, and Harbor Freight had their 20% no exclusions Memorial Day sale so I picked up one of these for about $185 on Monday and put it up by myself last night in about an hour. Granted it’s not a ‘shed’ but maybe you can get away with something like this without needing to look into a building permit

F2A8224F-D1D9-41BF-BF8A-58402DA5CDD4.png

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I decided I didn’t want to deal with building the #dontcallitaSXS build out in the elements, and Harbor Freight had their 20% no exclusions Memorial Day sale so I picked up one of these for about $185 on Monday and put it up by myself last night in about an hour. Granted it’s not a ‘shed’ but maybe you can get away with something like this without needing to look into a building permit

View attachment 173184
I had one of those once. A microburst decided I didn't want it anymore and spread it all over the neighborhood for me.

Luckily it didn't do any property damage, but I probably would have been on the hook if it had. Anybody setting up one of these long term should look into some really serious ground anchors.

The_Lobbster

View attachment 173184
Not a bad price, especially with the the 20% off. I see Costco has a 10x20 unit for $249 right now I've been eyeing.

Still trying to score the 10x20 shed at work for free, but getting nowhere yet with that. As long as I can get something up before snow flies, I'll be happy.

STAG

On my grind
I had one of those once. A microburst decided I didn't want it anymore and spread it all over the neighborhood for me.

Luckily it didn't do any property damage, but I probably would have been on the hook if it had. Anybody setting up one of these long term should look into some really serious ground anchors.
I’m just planning on tiedowns to heavy objects for now, like how the popup tent vendors do at events. If a storm is forecasted maybe I’ll throw extra tiedowns on.

Where I have it is also somewhat protected from the wind but yeah definitely wouldn’t want to leave it completely unanchored.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
You are correct. It was $249. They also sell just a replacement top portion for $79 when it tears after a year. Not a bad deal. I may end up putting metal roofing on mine if I decide to keep it as a more permanent storage option.

I swear it was $249 when I saw it. Perhaps not I guess. Still not a bad deal, especially considering the lifetime return policy

STAG

On my grind
Of course as soon as we talk about wind and carports, we have a moderately windy day. And of course I hadn’t tied it down at all yet.

Luckily I was right and it was moderately protected from the wind, where it sits. I checked on it as soon as I got there and it hadn’t moved. The tarp sides were billowing a little bit with the wind but nothing too crazy.

I threw a few tie downs on it attached to some heavy items. I’ll probably try to tension up the sides a little better so they can’t billow.

The_Lobbster

Added pictures a bit ago, but then site seemed to crash and couldn't add a description.

Finally got the go ahead to take this shed on our property at work, that belongs to the private school next door. Supposedly was built by the high schoolers a ways back. 10x20, about 10' on the peak side. It clearly needs some love, but for free.99, I'll take it! Just gotta do some disassembly to haul it away, then reconstruct it in my back yard. I think I want to add on to the door side, to widen it a few feet at least.

IMG_3706.jpegIMG_3707.jpegIMG_3710.jpegIMG_3711.jpegIMG_3705.jpegIMG_3704.jpegIMG_3702.jpegIMG_3703.jpeg

Last edited:

The_Lobbster

Started disassembly yesterday, and started to realize the condition of a 15 year old shed built by high schoolers, is in the condition you'd expect of a 15 year old shed built by high schoolers. Kinda starting to regret opening my mouth, but I'm committed now. At least there was some extra materials with it to help repair and patch the broken stuff.

Also ended up with stitches in my right index finger after the corrugated roofing sliced through my glove.

IMG_3738.jpegIMG_3739.jpegIMG_3740.jpeg