The best Cherokee lift?

jlowry

I have an '89 cherokee that i'm building, and what I want out of the build is to run a 36"+ tire. The axles that I have are a wagoneer dana 44 front, EB Bronco 9" rear with 4340 31 spline shafts and Detroits in both, and my cherokee does have an NP 242 t-case with a fixed yoke. The problem I have is deciding what lift to run, these are the kits I've been thinking of.

8" rustys long arm
8" rockkrawler long arm
5.5" RE long arm (with coil spacers and add a leaf for 8" total)

Any thoughts and suggestions about these kits, or different kits to run, would be greatly appreciated.

MattL

5 inch lift and some quality time with your friendly neighborhood sawzall. Do youreally want 8 inches of lift? what is it your going to be wheeling? is this a street rig or ?

ive had 3 of them. ended up doing a bit of that on the last.

jlowry

it needs to be somewhat streetable, but mainly moab type trails. if i drive it anywhere i'm going to have some smaller all terrain tires that i'll run. But I'm going to beat it up pretty good.

What do you think of the RE 5.5 long arm? I've heard nothing but good things about it. What kit would you suggest? Also long arm or short arm? I see no reason why to run a short arm, but i'm open minded

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I wouldn't lift it that high...

I'd go 5" and hack whatever was in the way. XJ's are tiny little rigs, and pretty skinny too. Keep it low.

:eek: :D

Brett

Meat-Hippy
The RE 5.5 kit is probably the best bolt on kit that you can buy for a long arm Cherokee suspension. It's a bit hefty on the wallet, but you see it in the quality of the parts.

I'd go with RE.....I'm a RE man myself. :greg:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
xjallday said:
rustys springs and coils are nice but thats about it,i would definatly get your long arm kit from someone else.

Did Rusty's ever fix the rear spring problem? I know that they use to have a big issue with the rear springs on Cherokee's warping (IE, turning into S shaped springs)

jlowry

If I ran the RE 5.5" would a 36x14.50 fit, even if I cut a ton out? It doesnt seem like it would since I'm not full width and my xj is a 4 door. Any info on rockkrawler?

4x4phil

I met a kid that had the rockkrawler 6" long arm lift. It's flex was EXTREMELY impressive. The idea of only one upper controll arm prevents any bind in the suspension, but seems scary as far as strength goes. I'd like to think it's tested, tried, and true. Those guys seem really extreme. The RE long arm uses the same wishbone style but on both sides. It utilizes bushings to satisfy the need for flex and seems stronger, but wouldn't droop and tuck as well as the rock krawler lift. Both are pretty pricey, but I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. I have to agree with the others though. I'd just go with some 35s and wouldn't put it to the moon. I'd be nice for boulders, but hill climbs and side hills'd be just scary. I personally get more of a rush from climbing a really steep hill than going over a rock. But to each thier own. If you wanna run a 36" tire you'll probably need more than 5.5" of lift.

RIGIDXJ

If you want to go with a long arm setup (which you should).....seriously consider the Full Traction 6" kit. The JeepSpeed curcuit has had great success with it, and it's street manners are very impressive.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
jlowry said:
If I ran the RE 5.5" would a 36x14.50 fit, even if I cut a ton out? It doesnt seem like it would since I'm not full width and my xj is a 4 door. Any info on rockkrawler?

I ran a modified 4.5" RE lift with 35" MT/R's on a 4 door. It can be done.

I'd check with some of the local shops and see what they can build for you as far as a long arm kit. Those seem to be the most impressive designs, IMHO. I'd bet pricing could be pretty competitive with some of the higher end kits.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
If your local, you can come over any time and see what bolt ons are all about, Ask mbryson and andrew, they saw the XJ warzone....

Currently in the works, 88XJ with the RE setup front and rear 8", LA, etc.

96XJ Rustys 9" with the RK LA. Both are coming along nicely, the 96 got tried a little up farmington canyon just to abuse all the ahrdware a little and did what I would consider alright.

The 96 has trimmed fenders and XJ flares and clears 37"s without any rubbing even in full flex, the 88 does not have any fender trimming and clears 35"s without rubbing.

RE is tried and true but you pay for it in price.

RK is also tried and true, you dont pay as much, but it gets you some clanks and clunks in a DD, it does stay solid after time.

Rustys, oh boy what a worms nest, the springs are allright, but like some others have had, the older quality of his product was less than satisfying and gave the long term a bad name.

This is only my opinion. Feel free to call or stop by.

Brian
698-9337

tjbruno

Simply said, do not go 8". Ive got an '89 XJ, and originally I had 8"+, but it was just rediculous. Im running 35's, and Ive brought it down to about 6, which is much much better. A little sawzall, and im right where I want to be. 8 inches is much too tall, way too topheavy.

jlowry

Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it. Based on your feedback and what I've read I think I'm going to go with the 6.5" LA Rockkrawler because I've found it for less$ and from what I've heard you get a good lift for what you pay. With some cutting and a 10" wide rim with some good back spacing, I'm sure I can run a 36x14.50 with no problems and have a lower center of gravity.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
tjbruno said:
Simply said, do not go 8". Ive got an '89 XJ, and originally I had 8"+, but it was just rediculous. Im running 35's, and Ive brought it down to about 6, which is much much better. A little sawzall, and im right where I want to be. 8 inches is much too tall, way too topheavy.

Ill play devils ad, some will say go bigger, some say stay as small as you can, theres a reason comp buggies have no tire coverage! Its for the center of grav. They get the ground clearance from tire size without the tip over angle. The xj is a very worthy DD, trail rig IMO, but you have to give where you try to take. I would suggest if you want to go big, than try to get a 12" rim with a less than 3" BS and maybe, just maybe, add some weight, tire carrier, winch, bumpers, etc. Stick to as large a tire as you can while trying to go a 13.5" width. I pmed you back, feel free to come over any time this weekend. I do also have some spare lift parts you can probably talk me out of.

Since this only sounds like your first trail rig? I can get you going with a 33" tire pretty suitibly with minimal cash out of pocket.

jlowry

Brett said:
Hope you change out that rear axle with those tires :hickey:

Oh yeah, I got a ford 9" with 31 spline 4340 shafts and a waggy d44 front. I think they'll hold their own ;)

Last edited: