The Budget Beater buggy

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
So the last few weeks I've been dealing with the turbo, I bought a used and supposedly 'ready to run' turbo from someone on here and it turned out to be junk. After going thru a lot of hassle, I think I'm just going to shit-can the idea of trying to rebuild it, due to the high costs and just purchase a new, high quality T3/T4 hybrid turbo with a .48 A/R. I still want a quick spooling turbo and I think this may be the best way to go about it. I should know better than use junkyard parts, but the low price gets me every time... and I end up spending more in the end. I just hope the seller does the right thing. -_-

Since I was feeling frustrated with the turbo, I decided to work on something else to distract me. I had to replace the rear freeze plug, as it was leaking and I also installed the flywheel for the automatic transmission. Since I was working with transmission stuff, I decided to bolt up the 22RE bellhousing onto the Jeep AW4 transmission. Once that was done I moved onto the Box 4 Rocks NP231 crawl box. I had a complete NP231 and honestly was nervous to hack off part of the case, but it had to be done! After some careful measurements, I took the case to my (new and awesome!!) SWAG Offroad Portaband upright bandsaw... it cut the case perfectly! I started fitting in the block-off plate and bolted up the t-case clocking ring, then went ahead and mocked everything up. I need to find someone locally that can weld aluminum, will work on that next week. Here's how it all played out. -

AW4 transmission with Jeep Bellhousing -

PC090001-XL.jpg

AW4 with 22RE Bellhousing -

PC090002-XL.jpg

22RE Bellhousing on the back of the 22R, just to show that it will work! -

PC090003-XL.jpg

Toyota torque converter loaded into AW4! -

PC090004-XL.jpg

The AW4, NP231 crawl box and the Dana 300... expanded view. -

P1140006-XL.jpg

And all together... not bolted up though. -

P1140007-XL.jpg

P1140009-XL.jpg

Not a ton of progress, but I was pretty happy with seeing all these parts bolt up... now I just hope that they will actually WORK together!

Greg

Admin
I'm not sure yet, the Dana 300 came with twin sticks but I think I may not use them.

I found these on Pirate, fromJB Custom Fab... I really dig them!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=917356&highlight=np231

p8200039w.jpg

http://www.jbfab.net/

I sent them an email asking for pricing and availability, waiting to hear back. I really, REALLY like the idea of modular cable shifters and the parts they use look super beefy. If they're slightly affordable, it's probably what I'm going to do.

What have you done for shifting yours?

brandonlmb

brandonlmb
I have the twin sticks, they work ok. I wish I would of done the cable style off the get go. Northwest fab also has a cable set up I think they are about 350.$ Once and a while my 300 wil pop out of gear but I guess that isn't too unusual.

Greg

Admin
I have the twin sticks, they work ok. I wish I would of done the cable style off the get go. Northwest fab also has a cable set up I think they are about 350.$ Once and a while my 300 wil pop out of gear but I guess that isn't too unusual.

Good to know, I could use the twin sticks as well but cable shifters just seem to be so much more user friendly.

I'm checking out the Northwest Fab offerings now, look pretty good as well. Thanks for mentioning them!

http://www.northwestfab.com/Shifters.html

ricsrx

I moved onto the Box 4 Rocks NP231 crawl box. I had a complete NP231 and honestly was nervous to hack off part of the case, but it had to be done! After some careful measurements, I took the case to my (new and awesome!!) SWAG Offroad Portaband upright bandsaw... it cut the case perfectly! I started fitting in the block-off plate and bolted up the t-case clocking ring, then went ahead and mocked everything up. I need to find someone locally that can weld aluminum, will work on that next week. Here's how it all played out. -

what part had to be cut?

Greg

Admin
what part had to be cut?

The front half of the NP231 case, where the front output is/was. Basically, you split the t-case, discard the rear half of the case, with the chain and rear output shaft. You then bolt up a plate to the front half of the case, which is supplied with the Box for Rocks kit. The plate then bolts to the Dana 300, you need to weld on the block-off plate to the side of the 231 where the cut was made and install the spud shaft to connect it to the Dana 300. I will try take better pics of the setup tomorrow, it's a pretty trick way to use the planetary of the NP231 simply for the gear reduction.

Here's a pic of the crawl box, you can kind of see where the case was cut on the left side. The block off piece that needs to be welded in is the part that says 'Out' on it....

P1140006-XL.jpg

Greg

Admin
I found these on Pirate, fromJB Custom Fab... I really dig them!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=917356&highlight=np231

p8200039w.jpg

http://www.jbfab.net/

I sent them an email asking for pricing and availability, waiting to hear back. I really, REALLY like the idea of modular cable shifters and the parts they use look super beefy. If they're slightly affordable, it's probably what I'm going to do.

Got a quick reply from Jon (I emailed him about 2 hrs ago!) about pricing... they look like great parts, but they're $$$. $550 for everything I need. :eek:

Hope he doesn't mind me posting this on the forum...

Here is the information on the cable shifters.

They fit together like Legos, so you can have as many shifters as you like, or add on additional shifters as needed.

We have all of the parts in stock and assemble them to order, lead time is typically 1-2 weeks.

$130 for each shifter module (includes boot, mounting hardware, and laser engraved billet knob of choice)

NP-231 doubler Interface kit $23,

D-300 Interface kit $40

36" CABLE $30ea

42" CABLE $36ea

48" CABLE $42ea

60" CABLE $44ea

92' CABLE $46ea

120' CABLE $50ea

The jacket is 15” shorter (bulkhead to bulkhead) on all cables.

The radius is 6” (full load), with the shifters you can go tighter, as they are only shifted intermittently and are way below the max load.

Easily, the most expensive transfer case shifter ever, that was not part of our original plan

brandonlmb

brandonlmb
Wow! That's a little more than I expected. They look really nice. I have changed my mind, I'm happy with the the stick shifters I have now.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Greg I have the Northwest fab triple stick shifter. It's quite a bit less $ and I love it.
Kyle is great to work with. My big ox of a brother-in-law, broke one crimps on the cables shifting it wrong... called them up: Kyle said they're rated to a huge amount push/pull and shouldn't break, and sent me a new cable right away...
(FYI: I have the same doubler as you... so does brandonlmb).

you can look at my build thread if you want pics.

Last edited: