The Budget Beater buggy

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
WTH Greg we need an update

Maybe he's been too busy building to stop and post an update

I've been working in the garage, but on the motorcycle! :p

There has been no real progress since the last update, I need to find someone local that can weld up the block-off plate on my NP231 crawl box and then I can bolt all those pieces together.

I'm going to try finish up the turbo header this weekend and I still need to find & order a nice, new T3/T4 turbo.

The next thing on the chassis will be to weld up the front tube work, fit and weld on mounts for the front coilovers and go from there. I have decided that I'm going to rebuild some of the rear cage tubing, where the upper-rear coilovers are going to mount. The old tubework has zero triangulation and I can add a little more interior room if I push it out a little.

All in due time! :p

Greg I have the Northwest fab triple stick shifter. It's quite a bit less $ and I love it.
Kyle is great to work with. My big ox of a brother-in-law, broke one crimps on the cables shifting it wrong... called them up: Kyle said they're rated to a huge amount push/pull and shouldn't break, and sent me a new cable right away...
(FYI: I have the same doubler as you... so does brandonlmb).

you can look at my build thread if you want pics.

Pretty sure that's the way I'll be going, Northwest Fab simply due to the cost difference. Here's the reply I got from them;

We sell a Dana 300 Reverse Shifter with a Universal third Lever for $369.

It is a direct bolt on for the D300 and it comes with a universal bulkhead
that you can use to work with the NP231.

I believe i have everything in stock to make this kit.

Kris

Greg

Admin
Just a single turbo, no twins here... not that a 22R would hold up to twins anyhow. I haven't done too much with the turbo, still need to find a new one to buy.

Most of my progress has been working on the NP231 crawl box and figuring out exactly how I'm going to work the steering with full hydraulic. I should have the rest of the needed parts tomorrow, then it's fab time on the front axle.

The front coilovers are tack welded into place, I'm happy with where they're sitting, but I did need to push the front axle forward a few inches. Looks like my wheelbase will end up in the 115" range. Pretty long for a 2 seat Toyota, but I'm not going to complain... should make climbing the steep stuff better and be more stable at speed.

zukijames

sweeet i think 115 for moab is awesome! right now mine is looking at 116 and 25inches to my frame/belly with 115 are you going to raise your belly or still keep it low..

before i was 113 and 17.5 to my skid with 37's and sucked once in awhile but was good most the time

Greg

Admin
sweeet i think 115 for moab is awesome! right now mine is looking at 116 and 25inches to my frame/belly with 115 are you going to raise your belly or still keep it low..

before i was 113 and 17.5 to my skid with 37's and sucked once in awhile but was good most the time

I'm not going for a LCG build this time, it may end up being a little tall and I'm just fine with that.

zukijames

You got it! Having a rig that's lower than normal rocks in Moab, but sucks on most boulder-filled Colorado trails.

videos of boulder canyon are how i justified having mine as tall as its going to be

if i ever get mine done and yours is done i'll buy ya dinner if you give a me a guided tour! lol

Bart

I'm not going for a LCG build this time, it may end up being a little tall and I'm just fine with that.

I think the LCG almost went the way of ultra flex. People loved it so much that it was overdone at the cost of function. Don't get me wrong, I love the look and understand the physics, but at some point in time you have to take breakover angle into account. I'm at a crossroad right now with mine and will probably lower it a bit, but that will ultimately depend on the final belly height and wheelbase.

Greg

Admin
I think the LCG almost went the way of ultra flex. People loved it so much that it was overdone at the cost of function. Don't get me wrong, I love the look and understand the physics, but at some point in time you have to take breakover angle into account. I'm at a crossroad right now with mine and will probably lower it a bit, but that will ultimately depend on the final belly height and wheelbase.

I think there should be a happy medium with keeping a rig low, but realizing that there are drawbacks. It also depends on where you'll be using the rig... my TJ was amazing in Moab, stable as all get out and would climb nearly anything... 21 Road kicked my ass every time and was a huge challenge to drive, due to the low height. And I think your right, it all boils down to final height and wheelbase... and where you want to be. All tough things to consider.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
No, that means I haven't sold it or parted it out! :wtf:

Almost time for the winter time building bug to get you. It always gets me for some reason as I start thinking about the wheeling in the spring.

Greg

Admin
Almost time for the winter time building bug to get you. It always gets me for some reason as I start thinking about the wheeling in the spring.

You know, that is something that really gets me! I've been tweaking the GMC and working on 2 motorcycles and while I have had every intention to work on the buggy, I really haven't touched it. :( Hopefully I can change that soon.