The camp chair conundrum

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
What about knock off helinoxes? Sat in some at Dick's and they were super nice at $50. I wonder if the real thing is worth double that?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm also not on the ARB chair bandwagon. I can literally drink a beer, set up my chair, and sit down in less time than it takes most people to setup an ARB chair (for the race, the ARB chair participant had just freshly cleaned and lubricated his chair too). I'm also not sure I buy into the durability card on them either. I buy nicer camp chairs in the 20-30 price range, and typically get 6-8 years out of them with what I consider heavy use. The ARB chairs I've seen being used for the last few years don't seem to be holding up any better than mine.

I also have one of those ground chairs I bought for motorcycle camping. I really like it unless it's in deep sand. Good for concerts and such.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm also not on the ARB chair bandwagon. I can literally drink a beer, set up my chair, and sit down in less time than it takes most people to setup an ARB chair (for the race, the ARB chair participant had just freshly cleaned and lubricated his chair too). I'm also not sure I buy into the durability card on them either. I buy nicer camp chairs in the 20-30 price range, and typically get 6-8 years out of them with what I consider heavy use. The ARB chairs I've seen being used for the last few years don't seem to be holding up any better than mine.

I also have one of those ground chairs I bought for motorcycle camping. I really like it unless it's in deep sand. Good for concerts and such.

I remember when you had the same soapbox speech about owning a Toyota ;)

ARB chairs are not for everyone but I can set up an old dirty one in 15 seconds... Velcro shoes are faster than laces too.

pELYgroso

'Merica

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I remember when you had the same soapbox speech about owning a Toyota ;)

Ha ha, no. I believe that speech was "Toyota people are annoying because they seem more proud of what the Toyota ISN'T than what it actually is". Then it snowballs into some secret handshake club where the brand becomes a personal identifier for them "Hi, I'm Joe Smith, and I'm a Toyota guy". It's certainly not exclusive to Toyota either, but the general comedy I find in people that pass off the brand of their vehicles as the most significant or interesting thing about themselves. I'm sure the "Toyota/Jeep/Ford/Chevy lives matter" stickers are but days from landing.

For the record, I love my truck as it's a great size and has been very reliable, but it's just a truck. If it were a Chevy or a Kia, I would love it all the same.

Also, I'm not saying the ARB chairs aren't nice, comfortable chairs. Just that they aren't as convenient to me. Since my chairs just bounce around in the back of my aforementioned truck, I think the design of the common camp chair just works better for me.

My shoelaces are never tied tight enough to require any maintenance.....poundshoelaces!

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Where do we stand (sit?) on camp chairs these days? My arb is ready for a replacement after 8 years of abuse. Should I look elsewhere, or re-up on my arb?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Well shot darn fricken heck golly.... I called up Cruiser Outfitters to get myself a new ARB Christmas chair and they told me the chairs are currently unobtainium right now, and that they haven't seen them for at least 6 months.

So I guess I am hunting for a different replacement.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I spent some time in one of these this year:

A Kovea Field "Luxury" Chair. So comfortable. And the fabric breathes, unlike my ARB chair that I loved for years. It ain't cheap, but easily one of the most comfortable camp chairs I've sat in.

Last edited:

Coco

ARB chairs are nice, I really enjoyed them when I was at Low Range, but I never did purchase any.

These are the bees knees though, they are sooo nice.
Rocker.png

And we run these in the SXS's for mid day lunch outings.
Tusk Chair.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’ve had a black Coleman camp chair with a zip-up “cooler” built into one of the arm rests for several years now. Others that sit in it have bought the same ones cause they liked it so much. Buuuut you won’t get any cool guy points for having a cheap chair so 🤷🏼‍♂️
🤣🤣🤣

Evolved

Less-Known Member
ARB chairs are nice, I really enjoyed them when I was at Low Range, but I never did purchase any.

These are the bees knees though, they are sooo nice.
View attachment 154614

And we run these in the SXS's for mid day lunch outings.
View attachment 154615
We bought the GCI Rockers two summers ago and then bought them for my parents this past summer. They take up a ton of room for camping if you are just loading the bed of a truck. But, they are worth the space IMO. We love them.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Well shot darn fricken heck golly.... I called up Cruiser Outfitters to get myself a new ARB Christmas chair and they told me the chairs are currently unobtainium right now, and that they haven't seen them for at least 6 months.

So I guess I am hunting for a different replacement.

Which one are you after.
I may have some in my personal stash (new in box ones). Covid sold more chairs than I would have ever imagined.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Which one are you after. I may have some in my personal stash (new in box ones). Covid sold more chairs than I would have ever imagined.

As in Black or Brown? No preference.
If you have one that would be swell. If not, I'll add another bolt into the missing plastic part to match the other side :rofl:

I wonder how long the covid shortages will continue. RV's, sxs's, and moto's are dropping in price pretty quick now, so that is at least getting better.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
As in Black or Brown? No preference.
If you have one that would be swell. If not, I'll add another bolt into the missing plastic part to match the other side :rofl:

I wonder how long the covid shortages will continue. RV's, sxs's, and moto's are dropping in price pretty quick now, so that is at least getting better.

As in style, they have a few different options outside of color. I'll see what I have tomorrow.