The Ham Radio Thread

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm yet to make an IRLP connection but would like to try.

Same here. If Steve tells me any of the three repeaters I listed above are functional, I will immediately try to make an IRLP connection with it/them to see how it goes. Assuming it succeeds, I'll even call out to him in the off chance he is monitoring at that time.

Perhaps we try an organized Utah 4x4 Ham nets?

I'd be on board for that, work schedule permitting.

sixstringsteve

I'm going to try to hit those right now and see if anyone's on them. If nobody's on them, how do I test them? Do I just listen for the repeater to transmit every 10 min?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Have you successfully used any of these machines? 146.700, 146.940, or 147.300. They are all IRLP nodes said to be located in Tucson.

I've been listening to each of these for 15 min, and I can't reach anyone and I haven't been able to contact anyone, and I'm not hearing the morse code repeater broadcasting. So I'm either in a dead zone (I'm just on my HT, so that might be possible).

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
When you try to contact each machine, do you ever hear a squelch tail when you un-key? If so, that would indicate that (a) the repeater is functioning and (b) your HT can reach it. Failing that, you'll have to give it a shot with your mobile radio.

EDIT: I forgot to mention to be sure you configure your radio for each required PL tone.

146.700 -- 127.3 Hz (IRLP 3300)
146.940 -- 110.9 Hz (IRLP 3892)
147.300 -- 110.9 Hz (IRLP 3924)

EDIT #2: I added the IRLP node numbers for my own reference.

Last edited:
I passed my general today at BYU. I've been studying the extra questions on HamStudy, so I tried it out and passed! I'm a little shocked since there were so many questions I wasn't sure of, but I got 41 of the 50 right for 82%. Thanks for the tips, Dempsey, and big recommendation for HamStudy.org. Now to get a new callsign...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I am happy to report Dave has now made his first radio contact. He was using his HT from inside his car--which means conditions were far from ideal--yet I was able to have a conversation with him while I was in my Jeep in the parking lot at work. Welcome aboard!

Now, who's next? ;)

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I am happy to report Dave has now made his first radio contact. He was using his HT from inside his car--which means conditions were far from ideal--yet I was able to have a conversation with him while I was in my Jeep in the parking lot at work. Welcome aboard!

Now, who's next? ;)

It was awesome chatting with you today, on the radio and in AF!

Bryson, you have to be next...right?

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I just unloaded my ham gear, an old realistic, and J pole. What freq and time of day do you monitor. Do you guys have a net check in each week or month?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
What freq and time of day do you monitor.

I almost always monitor while I'm driving, since I have fixed mobile radios in both the Suburban and the Jeep. Because I live so close to home--and because I have odd work hours compared to most folks--this usually means I am listening for ~10 minutes here, ~10 minutes there at seemingly random times. My most predictable time is on days that I open, when I'm usually listening in the 8:15-8:30 time frame. Tonight I am scheduled to be off at 8pm; when I leave, I will be monitoring while I drive home.

As for frequency, my 'default' is 146.760. I am a member of the social group known as the 76ers (named for this repeater) so that's why I most often tune in there. We have a number of members in the SL valley, and I expect you'd be able to hit this machine from your home. If it is quiet, I will occasionally scan though the 75-odd frequencies I have programmed into my radios.

Do you guys have a net check in each week or month?

The 76ers have a weekly net each Wednesday night at 7pm. Feel free to tune in this evening if you've got some time.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I noticed it is a repeater. What is the off-set? If it is 600 is it + or -.

I apologize; I did not see your post until right now.

The 146.760 frequency is a repeater output. It uses the standard .600 offset, and is negative (thus 146.160 input frequency). There is no tone required to activate this machine.

Nothing worked.

Again, I'm sorry I was so late. I expect you could at least hear the machine, even with an HT & a stock antenna, though I doubt you'd be able to hit it. For the record, we have had listeners check in to this net from as far north as Brigham City and as far south as the Salina/I-70 area (I can't remember exactly where that guy lives), although hitting this repeater from such distances requires a good radio and a proper antenna, of course.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've listened too that repeater in the Magna/West Valley area and through Kearns. The hills get in the way a little this far west but the signal was crisp. I did not attempt to call out to it though.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I did not try - until the very last and was to late. My old Realistic is supposed to put out 5 W with a full 12 v input. and I think it would be enough to reach the repeater. Had no problem listening even to some of the weak signals. I should be able to monitor later today and see if I am putting out the full 5 w. I will get out my power meter if I can find it.