The New Guys XJ Lift (Continued)

Sarge!

1987 Wagoneer Limited
So I have made a couple threads and wanted to thank everyone for the help. I got quite a bit of advice from many and physical help from a few. When I get my RME stickers i will slap them on with pride.

Ended up doing Teraflex Shackles plus 2 additional XJ leaves in the back and Teraflex 2" Coil spacers with V8 ZJ coils up front. Ended up with 3.5" of lift all around. I need some 31's now. Missing the tires makes it feels like I am walking around without pants.

I get a little rattle around 25MPH that fades at 30. I am thinking a TC Spacer kit is the answer to that. And of course she needs to visit the alignment shop on Monday.

Before and Afters attached.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 14
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 26

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Looks good! Reminds me when I first lifted my 1989 Cherokee... soon you will be hankering for more modifications. :D

LT.

I don't want to destroy the Wagoneer. Soon I will be looking for a new toy to completely destroy...and destroy my bank account!

That is what we all start out telling ourselves. Sooner or later you will buy a new vehicle and it will become your new mode of transportation leaving your Jeep to become your trail rig.;)

LT.

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
Might just look like this one day. :p

If I remember right (long time ago), this is 3" & 33's. I went 5" later and was much happier.

Attachments

• Jeep RF Stuffed.jpg
    Jeep RF Stuffed.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Copy of Jeep Front On Cement.jpg
    Copy of Jeep Front On Cement.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Copy of Jeep RF On Cement.jpg
    Copy of Jeep RF On Cement.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 19

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I was just kidding about the self clearancing...

I said from when I first got my ZJ, 31" tires and 2" lift was all I really wanted, and some sliders. Just need sliders now, but I want to do some bumpers still. And am considering different axles. More power. I can always drive my Neon more often...

Seriously, I like where my ZJ sits and how it rides. I don't want to mess with it too much. I have another rig I should be working on for tougher stuff.

Sarge!

1987 Wagoneer Limited
So anyone know how much Teraflex charges to diagnose the Death Wobble? I went through the checklist posted several times from cherokeeforums.com.

Eventually i will get it worked out...and I got no regrets :D

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
THrow on the 33s and let them self clearance!!!

Better yet, take off the front flares & hold the left side flare up to the right side fender at or near the crease below the hood line.

You'll find that the lower body crease lines up with a cut of the front of the fender at the bottom of the turn signal. the back end will need to be trimed to align with the lower crease on the door with a die grinder or dremmel tool.

Mark the under side & cut 1/2" long. bend inward 90* with chanel locks & pound the rest of the way hammer & dolly! you now hvave 3 more inches of clearance! Mount the flares to cover the sub-standard body work & you're in buisiness:greg:!

The rears are the same kinda deal. You'll have to yrim the bottoms off where they curl under the doors. Put them as high on the body as you can
& not interfere with the door opening, then cut & pounnd as usual!:D

I ran like this for 5 years on 33's & 4" lift & never cut a tire on the body.

BTW: There is a pinch seam at the back side of the front fender well that you will need to pound flat to get max clearance:ugh:

Just my $.02 worth!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i had serious dw with 3" of lift and i put on longer lower control arms with poly bushings and a new steering stabilizer and those were the two most helpful things i did. i still feel it want to wobble at about 60 but it doesn't do it.

i also had it aligned and the tires balanced with the lightest two on the front. all of these things help but imo the front end design and dw go hand in hand :ugh:

if you want to center your front axle just drill a new hole for the tracbar axle mount and bolt it up. i welded a big fat washer on mine because i like overkill. man it is nice to have the front end centered :D

So anyone know how much Teraflex charges to diagnose the Death Wobble? I went through the checklist posted several times from cherokeeforums.com.

Eventually i will get it worked out...and I got no regrets :D

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
i had serious dw with 3" of lift and i put on longer lower control arms with poly bushings and a new steering stabilizer and those were the two most helpful things i did. i still feel it want to wobble at about 60 but it doesn't do it.

i also had it aligned and the tires balanced with the lightest two on the front. all of these things help but imo the front end design and dw go hand in hand :ugh:

if you want to center your front axle just drill a new hole for the tracbar axle mount and bolt it up. i welded a big fat washer on mine because i like overkill. man it is nice to have the front end centered :D

Good advice! Try that first. If you still have problems you may need a rear mount lowering bracket kit. I didn't have a problem at 3.5" with adjustable lower control arms, but when I went to 5.5" it was horible!!

I tried adjusting the lower arms a few times , then bought adj. upper arms which helped a lot, but the front still felt like it was going into DW every time I hit a pothole or big bump in the road:-\

The RME drop brackets fixed nearly all of that.

Of course your going to give up some clearence behind the front tires, but they are sturdy units & can take a beating! Mine did!:D