The new rig conundrum

Tonkaman

Hey Derek. Remember when you and me showed up to the CruiserFest pre-run outside Moab with some extra ice we didn't need after we filled up our coolers and offered it to the other guys and they all had fridges? We joked all week about how fancy they were and that we weren't part of the club.

Sounds like you're one of those guys now. :eek:

Ha ha yeah but steady I didn't buy a Lexus....[emoji15]

Tonkaman

Since I'm too busy to start s new thread, here's a sneak peak.

c8d70bae465e567b145eb15f32064a48.jpg
79e24bf08442257e1a32ba87f96ce443.jpg
f31f22cfbd6822e77f9970265618796a.jpg
9d7032fcc353e6596f38cf95059022b3.jpg
f5f4d5caf7d161f062f6742c5f38e3d3.jpg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Wow, thats a lot of bling! Looks like a ton of fun. :thumbs:

I need to renew my passport so I can be that much closer to jumping the border. I told my wife I wanted to go to baja and she looked at me like I was crazy. I tried to tell her that baja was the safer side and that since I used to speak spanish I'd be in a better position but it didn't do anything to persuade her. I'll be waiting and excited to hear about your adventure.

I'm not by any means skilled labor but give me a shout if you need a hand with anything in the next couple of days, I'd love to lend a hand.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Wow, thats a lot of bling! Looks like a ton of fun. :thumbs:

I need to renew my passport so I can be that much closer to jumping the border. I told my wife I wanted to go to baja and she looked at me like I was crazy. I tried to tell her that baja was the safer side and that since I used to speak spanish I'd be in a better position but it didn't do anything to persuade her. I'll be waiting and excited to hear about your adventure.

I'm not by any means skilled labor but give me a shout if you need a hand with anything in the next couple of days, I'd love to lend a hand.

It has been a lot of work, but all the hard stuff is done for now. I decided I needed to wait on the suspension upgrade until my other truck sells. Good thing I did because I'm out of time anyway! I appreciate the offer for help, I'll have to give you a call once it is suspension time.

I'll try to take good notes and make a decent trip report once I'm back. That way we can convince the wives to go with us next year!

Tonkaman

Are you doing tires before your trip? How long are you going to be in Baja?

Mope I decided to keep the stock tires. I considered swapping them out but didn't want to buy the same size and without the suspension done I didn't feel good about going up in size. I asked Frenchie if I would need better tires for the trip and he told me not to worry about it.

I'm not going to Baja I'll be in Chihuahua mostly and possibly down into Sonora.

I'm sure the truck will do fine I just always prefer to be overbuilt for any given scenario.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I've seen this truck during each of the stages of updates. Derek is really taking his time and doing a very good, clean install of all the parts, especially the miles of additional wire he has added. It's been super neat to see the quality of work he is doing.. I don't have the patience he does.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Mope I decided to keep the stock tires. I considered swapping them out but didn't want to buy the same size and without the suspension done I didn't feel good about going up in size. I asked Frenchie if I would need better tires for the trip and he told me not to worry about it.

I'm not going to Baja I'll be in Chihuahua mostly and possibly down into Sonora.

I'm sure the truck will do fine I just always prefer to be overbuilt for any given scenario.

If you've never done any trails with Frenchie before, you will have a blast. I pre-ran Hole in the Rock Trail with him before this year's EJS and had a great time. This was a quick 2-day run out and back. Be sure to save your appetite for his famous lasagna.

jeeper

I talked to him sometime last week for about 45 seconds before he lost service. He is having a great time.
His wife adds daily fb updates. I guess they went through a town yesterday and were not well received, so they moved onto another spot.
They have seen some incredible places, some super neat waterfalls, etc.

jeeper

Today's update:

Day 11 of Derek's adventure. Sorry I fell asleep before I could update last night.
He was camping in this town called Urique. He said this spot they found was a very well kept "Garden of Eden" in the middle of dessert, there was even a hot shower and fresh food picked from this garden just for them...after a day of narrow roads on these mountain passes going up 6,000ft and down 5,000 only within 60 miles, they were ready to relax. He hasn't been sleeping so great because he mentioned how everywhere they go, even in the middle of nowhere there is always someone watching from behind rocks or cactus...and they would just walk through their camp while they were in their tents "reporting back that things were good" this is frightening, but in no way did they feel they were in danger.
He talked about how there are endless foot paths across these massive mountains...these are 1,000 yr old paths that link community to community. You will occasionally catch a "runner" on these paths, they were bright colors, but they come and go quickly. These are the Tarahumara who live in caves or by rocks and migrate by season. He said this culture is the purest and it really makes you reflect on life. Sadly, paved roads and modern technologies are invading the region and this culture will soon succumb to these everyday challenges. The paved roads have already replaced some ancient footpaths.
He sounded very happy and glad to come to the realization that we truly are a speck on a ginormous world just begging to be discovered :)