The "trophy husband" pro mod buggy build

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Just tell the wife the atlas goes well with your tanned sixpack. She'll understand.

Edit: Loving this build, excited for more!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I got a little time in the garage tonight after a full day of working/parenting/home-schooling. I managed to finish the bent boat-side tubes. The rear ones required a complicated notch since it’s a node and the first one didn’t turn out amazing but the second looks good. I also sleeved the subframe tubes that they go into with some 1.5” HREW that I had lying around. I was glad to be able to use HREW for it since DOM is so expensive and I’m surely going to run out of it.

The tubes all tacked in place in my very messy garage:
54E14F8D-E34F-4D86-8FAC-D75DFC8BA033.jpeg
Man a solid notch is sooooooo satisfying
5687D2E1-75E2-467D-A706-0AFC1016EFB8.jpeg
I got the kids in bed and came back out to clean the garage. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The TSwift certainly helps with that too.
76E81EF6-B91A-4996-88E0-7E2BB930A54C.jpeg

Coco

Looking good Nate! If that engine is anything like the 3.8 SC version, you can replace that ac compressor with a single/small pulley and run a smaller belt. it is a shame you can't just remove that pulley from the equation completely. More tubes on the chassis and the progress is looking good.

I know you won't believe it, but you and Ryan's build definitely make me miss it.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Looking good Nate! If that engine is anything like the 3.8 SC version, you can replace that ac compressor with a single/small pulley and run a smaller belt. it is a shame you can't just remove that pulley from the equation completely. More tubes on the chassis and the progress is looking good.

I know you won't believe it, but you and Ryan's build definitely make me miss it.

So sell your Gayzor and build one

Coco

So sell your Gayzor and build one

It's an X3, but I love it too much to sell. Focusing on a house right now, then the wedding in September (hopefully - #stupidcorona) then i'll start saving for another buggy. I will have another eventually.

N-Smooth

Different day, same story: I didn’t get as much time to work on it as I wanted but I did get some stuff done. First I added some tubes to connect the subframe to the lower B cross tube. These will become nodes for the B pillar X, connect to the rear “frame” tubes and one of them will include the upper link mount. Well when I was cleaning up the first notch my grinder just stopped working. I messed with it for a few minutes and decided it was time to buy a new one as I’ve had this one for 6 years and heaven knows it was not treated nicely. Luckily it’s from Lowes so that’s an easy fix. Also, I thought we were supposed to be staying home as much as possible but damn dude Lowes was the busiest I’ve ever seen it. Weird.
I then decided it would be cool to see this thing take some actual shape and start looking like a buggy so I started working on the upper part of the chassis. I have some basic measurements for what I want and did some math for how to make that happen and whatnot. I like that stuff. I also had the opportunity to mess up 5.5’ of tube (each side) so that always gets my blood flowing lol. Luckily my measurements worked out and the bend went perfectly. I even got the once side notched and ready to tack in. I got the other side bent and ready to notch before the wife waved the white flag, surrendering to the children and beckoning me to come inside.

Check the new lower tubes. Pretty neato I guess.
FA9E772D-46E0-42B0-884F-66DD26920A5E.jpeg
8BAB998D-4758-41B4-A695-A449300E2923.jpeg
B pillar uprights tacked in and upper bar notched and ready to be tacked after I mirror it.
C781B8C6-04A8-46B7-BD5E-44EC42D7ABD1.jpeg
It’s starting to look like something so that’s fun. My 7 y/o saw it and was like “WHAT? That’s so cool!” He has low standards, maybe?
CEDDCFD4-7C38-4AD8-A22A-54DDE16FD813.jpeg

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Oh yeah and new grinder vs old. It’s just a 4.5” Porter Cable that I’m sure a lot of people think is ghetto but this is my 3rd one and the first two must’ve lasted me at least 6 years each. They’re only $40 and I’m so used to the size and how they function that I can’t imagine going to a different one, even if it’s an upgrade. I’d like to take the old one to a repair place and see if they’ll fix it for like $20 and I can use it as a backup but I should probably just buy another one lol
411CC3F1-340A-450D-B4EC-A6E5F982D52D.jpeg

N-Smooth

Buy 3 grinders. It will change your life doing tube/ metal work: 1 for cutoff wheel, 1 wire wheel, 1 flap disc. Saves me SO much time.

And just imagine how impressed your kids would be if you cleaned up the ends of your tubes before tacking them up. :handlebars: #fakejessehaines

I always have the flap disc on the grinder since it's the thing I use most for tube work. I use it to clean up the ends of the tubes but I'm not going to waste time cleaning them up to TIG level for sure. Even calling me fake JH is a huge compliment lol a lot of the direction of this build is from Pokey- the best pro mod ever built.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'll second the "buy more grinders" statement.

I'm pretty partial to these little Bosch units. Inexpensive, powerful enough, nice and slim (easier to grip), and I haven't killed one yet. That's more than I can say about Hitachi, Dewalt, Metabo, or Harbor Freight grinders. https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1375A-...&keywords=bosch+grinder&qid=1586800439&sr=8-3

To be fair though, my Dewalt lasted through a LOT of abuse before giving up. I don't blame it at all--I just haven't lost a Bosch still.

N-Smooth

I'll second the "buy more grinders" statement.

I'm pretty partial to these little Bosch units. Inexpensive, powerful enough, nice and slim (easier to grip), and I haven't killed one yet. That's more than I can say about Hitachi, Dewalt, Metabo, or Harbor Freight grinders. https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1375A-...&keywords=bosch+grinder&qid=1586800439&sr=8-3

To be fair though, my Dewalt lasted through a LOT of abuse before giving up. I don't blame it at all--I just haven't lost a Bosch still.

for the same price as my porter cable I'll have to check it out.

There's just something so satisfying about seeing the first parts of a chassis come together. :cool:

I know, right? It makes me very happy and I'm really hopeful that my excitement sticks around to get me through the lows in the build process.

Ashcat

My .02 on grinders
Yes, 3, minimum!

There was a recent grinder thread on pirate. Never leave the store without buying one 25’ extension cord per each grinder purchased. First thing to do after you get home is throw away the stock cord. Step two, cut female end of ext cord off. Step three hard wire ext cord to grinder. Step four, thank me (for sharing someone else’s advice 🤣 )

As for “dead” grinders, it’s probably the brushes. They’re not expensive or difficult to replace. I bought a handful of brushes and other basic electrical replacements for my dewalts.

N-Smooth

My .02 on grinders
Yes, 3, minimum!

There was a recent grinder thread on pirate. Never leave the store without buying one 25’ extension cord per each grinder purchased. First thing to do after you get home is throw away the stock cord. Step two, cut female end of ext cord off. Step three hard wire ext cord to grinder. Step four, thank me (for sharing someone else’s advice 🤣 )

As for “dead” grinders, it’s probably the brushes. They’re not expensive or difficult to replace. I bought a handful of brushes and other basic electrical replacements for my dewalts.

I thought it would be easiest to just knot them together lol I like it though.

I need to see if they have brushes for my grinder. If so, I’ll fix it.