The Ultimate Fighter

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Anybody watch it? I have been following it for about 5 seasons. Usually it's pretty entertaining, but last nights fight sucked bad. Kimbo Slice is pretty entertaining, but hasn't fought yet. Normally I would say he was going to suck, but from last nights fight and the workouts of other fighters, he might do okay. I'm sure it helps thats he looks like the most muscular ripped hobo you ever saw:ugh:

03rubicon

Yeah I've been watching it too. I think if they other guys fight like those first 2 then Kimbo might stand a chance. There a few giants in there this season.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
MMA isn't always about stand-up. Hell, watch Ollie fight and it is ground and pound all day long. These guys walked into the first fight like deer in headlights and neither put on a great show. I bet things get a lot better as the season rolls on. Mr. Slice knows he's got a bounty on his head and I hope none of the other guys break their hands on his gold teef!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Slice did hang in there with James Thompson (although he probably did lose that fight were it reffed fairly), and the only fighter on this show that is markedly better than Thompson is Roy Nelson (the fat guy--big country).

Unless one of the football guys turns out to be a beast (Brendan Schaub is probably the most likely), I don't think anyone can take out Nelson. Kimbo's striking will probably get him to the final round I would think/hope/guess, but Nelson will put him on his back and pound him out like a cheap Amsterdam hooker.

03rubicon

MMA isn't always about stand-up. Hell, watch Ollie fight and it is ground and pound all day long. These guys walked into the first fight like deer in headlights and neither put on a great show. I bet things get a lot better as the season rolls on. Mr. Slice knows he's got a bounty on his head and I hope none of the other guys break their hands on his gold teef!

LOL yeah if they don't break their hands, and take him down It's probably all over. :rofl:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
The fight last night, was about the same as last week. The big guy was pretty much man handling the other guy until he gassed out after 1/2 the first round. Pretty lame. Next week though- Kimbo Slice versus Big Country:D

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
I am so glad I am not 6'6" or taller. Every one of those dudes has serious knee problems. They can't hardly stand up without their knees folding in like lawn chairs. As far as the fight went, I was sure things would get better, but these guys are just all strength and no cardio. Gassing half way through the first round is a sign that they are horribly unfit for this type of sport. I guess you can go a whole game when you can rest for 30 seconds after 4-8 seconds of bumping into people on the football field..... but not 2x 5min rounds at 100%.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
You have to consider also that these guys aren't at the end of an 8 week training camp for a single fight. I don't think there is anyway to train and learn new technique, and build the required cardio to go 15 minutes in the cage at 230-265 lbs. They train twice per day and mix in as much cardio as they can get in, but it's not nearly the kind of cardio training that you would get in preparation for a normal fight. None of the top fighters could jump in and go for 15-25 minutes just in their normal training schedule....well, maybe Clay Guida but that guy is a freak of nature.

I hate to say it (because Roy is one of my favorite fighters, but I find myself rooting for Kimbo as the underdog--he came in with nothing to gain and everything to lose), but I think Kimbo is ****ed. Roy is going to do the same thing he did to Arvlovski--put him on his back and smother him from side control. I just hope that Kimbo has improved takedown defense and can catch Roy on the way in.

That's the worst possible match up for Kimbo I think.

Last edited:

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
I definitely would have preferred to see Kimbo fight another brawler and Big Country to fight another grappler, but it isn't boxing or wrestling it is boxing AND wrestling. Should be good either way.

I know these guys are coming into these fights with little or no conditioning, but they are trying to be professionals and I wouldn't go to a job without knowing a little bit about the requirements.

I am not one to talk, I would gas really quick too. I can ski all day every day, but I get winded after kicking my heavy bag after about four minutes. It is a tough sport and I am backseat driving. Just offering up my opinions from the couch!!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I agree that Shivers was way way way too out of shape though. Resting his arm on the cage in the middle of the 2nd round? Come on, at least look like you're there to win. but, like you said, I'm also a bit of a backseat driver and I'm sure it's an entirely different thing when you're actually in the ring looking at a guy that wants to hurt you.

I think some of these football guys are just in it to promote their name and possibly use the exposure to be a quick PR stunt for an NFL team that might pick them up midway through the season.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I was very disapointed kimbo lost, we were cheering him on the whole time. I guess it sucks when a guy that weighs 264 sits on your chest/head and baby punches you in the forehead when you can't move. On the plus side, it looks like he might get a second chance:D

redXJ

Thats what she said
I was more disappointed in why they called the fight. Roy nelson wasn't going to hurt anyone with those baby hits. I did like how Dana White was talking crap on Nelson.

Last edited:

MRJ

Just a user
I was more disappointed in why they called the fight. Roy nelson wasn't going to hurt anyone with those baby hits. I did like how Dana White was talking crap on Nelson.

x2

I think Nelson is a tub of goo. not impressive. I think he is conditioned pretty good for his gooeyness though. It was funny how the coach was saying Kimbo would loose his hands and arms in Roy's belly...

Last edited:

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Dana was saying that Roy was hitting like his six year old daughter in a play fight on the living room floor.....

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Kimbo didn't do a very good job defending the crucifix, but you can't say he did a bad job overall. Roy is an elite grappler, and Kimbo isn't the first to struggle under him. Arlovski couldn't get Roy off of him and was lucky that the ref stood that fight back up. Roy also beat Frank Mir in a grappling tournament. Those shots Kimbo landed in the 2nd before he went for that knee were nasty.

I think the big guy with the bum knee is going to go out injured, and Kimbo will come back as a replacement.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I think the big guy with the bum knee is going to go out injured, and Kimbo will come back as a replacement.

The big guy's name is Marcus aka Big Baby. With the footage of him training I want to see him fight. The man looks super powerful. I hope Kimbo gets another chance to fight. He "seems" like a decent guy and will be exciting to watch in a slug-fest. There are rumors of him fighting Houston Alexander :D

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
The second to last preliminary fight was cool until they gassed.... Probably should have gone to a third round even though watching two gassed fighters sucks. They get to looking like kittens pawing each other.....

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
It was an ok show, but I love the stupid arguments between Rashod and Rampage. I can't believe Rampage has lost all 7 fights so far. Maybe when Marcus fights, he will finally win one.