Thinking about getting a dirt bike... need advice

sixstringsteve

I need advice on chosing the right dirtbike for me.

I've been thinking about getting a dirt bike for the past few years, and I plan on getting one when my miata sells.

I rebuilt a little 80s yz80 with my dad when I was about 10, and that planted the seed. My parents have some ttr 125s that I can borrow whenever I want, but I want my own bike.

I've probably logged about 100 hours on a dirt bikes in my life. Not tons, but enough to know that I prefer trail riding over motocross and going fast. I've played around on jumps a little, but I'm not looking to get a bike for jumping. I've done a TON of mountainbiking my entire life, so I'm not entirely new to 2-wheelers or technical singletrack trails. I'd like a bike that can handle af canyon's singletrack, and trails in moab like hell's revenge, etc.

Here are my criteria:
- I MUST be able to touch the ground on it. I am SHORT (30" inseam), and I'm not a good enough rider to ride a bike that I can't touch the ground on. I would LOVE to be able to plant my feet on the ground, but if I can get both balls of my feet on the ground, that works for me
- I must be able to make it street legal so I can run errands on it. (headlights, turn signals, etc)
- I want a bike that's meant for dirt use that can handle a little street use, not the other way around
- Price range is $1-2k
- I want something reliable
- I don't want a race bike, or a bike with a huge powerband
- Power isn't very important to me. I can get around fine on my mom's ttr 125 in AF canyon

In my past I have preferred 4 strokes to 2 strokes, but I'm open minded on this issue.

So, some bikes I've been considering are:
- XR200 - I can touch the ground fine, plenty of power for me, it seems like the perfect bike for me.
- TTR225 - I really like this model too. It's a lot like the ttr125s I've ridden. Probably not the best suspension in the world, but for a trail bike, I think it'd be fine

Is there anything else out there that I should take a look at? Remember, it has to have a low seat height, I'm a shrimp.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Steve, I'm 110% sure you will end up wanting more power than either of those two bikes can provide after just a few rides :-\ Given the budget and requirements I think the Suzuki DR350 fits the bill pretty good. They are capable on the trail and dirt oriented while having a lower ride height. You wouldn't want to spend a lot of time on the street on one, but you could if you had to. They are an oil cooled four stroke so they are both simple and reliable. Another option I'd explore is an older (85 and newer) Honda XR350 or 500.

I have seen many DR's in the $1100-$1500 range as well. Here's an example: I wouldn't spend more than around $1500 on one because the newer DRZ400's are really coming down in price. Just a thought hopefully someone else will chime in with other ideas.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14809517&cat=236&lpid=&search=Suzuki DR

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the advice Rot Box. What in particular will I find lacking with either of those two bikes? Is it the power, speed, clearance?

My family had an XR400, and I couldn't even come within 2 inches of touching the ground. Do the older XR's sit lower? I think even an XR250 is giong to be too tall for me. I've read about cutting the seat foam down and lowering the forks and rear shocks and such, but I think I'd rather find a bike that sits lower and isn't quite as heavy as something like an XR400. I've had to pick up the XR400, and I really struggled, and that was on someone's lawn. I don't think I could handle it on a trail.

I'm only 5'6" and I weigh 165lbs.

Last edited:

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
My dad just bought a Kawasaki KLR 650. It is probably a little more street-able then you are looking for but, it is sweet I like driving it around. I am short like you and so is my dad. We Put a lowering kit on the bike, and now I can use both feet at stop lights. I am with rotbox I had a Yamaha xt-225 growing up and it was not enough power. Great gas mileage, but it would not do over 60 mph. I Would look into a big bike.

sixstringsteve

the KLR 650 looks pretty heavy. I doubt I'd be able to pick it up if I tipped it over on a trail. I think I want something that's more for singletrack trails than gravel fire roads.

I'd love to find a little 125-250cc 2-stroke with that's got more low-end power than high-end power. I like the idea of it being lighter weight, yet still have the powerband for trails, rather than MX.

rholbrook

My son's friend has a CRF250X and he is your size. He ended up getting a new part that goes in the rear suspension that will lower the bike several inches. I don't remember what they are called but I know that Caleb will chime in here and he can probably get you one. Anyway, it makes it very easy to lower your bike and then you can raise the fork up in the clamps on the front as well.

I too would not get anything smaller than a 250 or even better a 400. My son had a TTR230 from the time he was 14 to 16. He always took off on my 450 because he liked the power. If you don't want the power, don't twist the throttle, that easy. You will be wanting more power as you get more comfortable.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
For some reason I keep looking at the Yamaha TW200 for a trail bike, maybe it's the big fat tires but I've heard they struggle to go over 55 on the road. They are low and my preferred alternative to a moped. :hickey:

sixstringsteve

As i research a bit more, I'm thinking a KDX200 would be a good little trail bike, although I'm not sure how high they sit.

plaidfro

A Honda CRF230F seems like a good 4 stroke for you to look into. Brand new they are around $4k, there are lots of gently used bikes for a really good price. Overall the bike is not as nice and fancy as would be the CRF250X, but those will have a much higher price tag new and used. The 230F has a nice 6 speed wide ratio gear, electric start, and is definately not built for tall riders. It doesnt have a headlight but a dual sport kit from Baja Designs can be added to make it DOT legal. From what I have read you will want an aftermarket carb kit put in the carb to pep the bike up and also do some easy mods to the stock exhaust to help it breathe a bit better.

Caleb

My son's friend has a CRF250X and he is your size. He ended up getting a new part that goes in the rear suspension that will lower the bike several inches. I don't remember what they are called but I know that Caleb will chime in here and he can probably get you one. Anyway, it makes it very easy to lower your bike and then you can raise the fork up in the clamps on the front as well.

It's actually called a lowering link. The most popular are made by http://www.koubalink.com/ but there are many companies that make them.

Really, the only proper way to lower a bike and keep your suspension geometry correct is to get different springs, or modify yours. You can raise the forks up some and get a lowering link, but it throws off the geometry which makes turning, and even straight line (usually high speed) riding not as good.

For some reason I keep looking at the Yamaha TW200 for a trail bike, maybe it's the big fat tires but I've heard they struggle to go over 55 on the road. They are low and my preferred alternative to a moped. :hickey:

The TW200 are sweet bikes and have a serious following behind them. Do a little searching on them and you'll find guys doing major trails (TAC, etc) on them. We had some in my driving class we got to play around on.

I'll agree, that I would not go smaller than a 250...personally I would look at either the DR350 or the DRZ400. You can easily get a DRZ400 in your budget. That sounds like the bike you were describing. They are rock solid reliable, more dirt oriented but can do some pavement, some models (the S model) comes street legal and all of them can easily be made street legal, there's no way (even if you're creative :D) that you could confuse it for a race bike :p, the only question is the height. I have a 32" inseam and had no problems touching the ground on the "E" model that I rode around a little bit, I can't imagine 2"s would make that much of a difference. :) At the same time, I wouldn't let the height deter you too much. If you get too small of a bike, you WILL feel cramped after being on it for more than an hour or two.

sixstringsteve

Cool, thanks for all the info everyone. I did a 4 hour trail up af canyon on my family's ttr125 and it didn't feel too cramped. In fact, I was glad to be able to touch the ground, cuz there were some sketchy parts. I'm sure if I were a better rider then it wouldn't have been an issue. I dont plan on taking it on the freeway, but I wouldn't be opposed to one that could.

Venture13

DRZ400E Electric streetable bike, lower to the ground than others and very reliable. Had one for a long time, just change the oil and fill the gas.. Affordable..

SportSawyer

The XR200 is a great bike for mountain trails. It's fairly light, a LOT lighter than a DRZ, WR450F, CRF450X, ... and is much more nimble due to shorter wheelbase and tighter steering lock. The CRF230F is heavier than a XR200 because it's electric start.

As long as your street riding is around town, say 45 mph roads and less, the XR200 should be fine. It's also got a 6-speed.

One drawback to the XR200 is a 17" rear wheel. So you don't have the tire options. Many people I know with XR200s get a 18" wheel, or lace up an 18" rim. This a mainly so a trials tire can be run for the real technical mountain trails, or rugged desert trails like 5MOH.

Most of the guys who were doing the motorcycle trail work in AF Canyon years ago rode XR200s. They are fine bikes, and very good on goat trails, especially with a trials tire on the back.

Given your criteria, it'd be a good choice.

There's an article on lighting for XR200s at:

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/lightup/

Corban_White

Steve, you should come over and we can chat. You can check out the fleet (not really, only 4 bikes) and see both ends of the spectrum. (my bike and my wife's) PM me if you are interested.

Caleb

You seem to be pretty sold on a ttr125, why not just get one of those? It would probably be a lot cheaper than any of the bigger bikes. Or take Corban up on his offer and go sit on some bikes.

sixstringsteve

You seem to be pretty sold on a ttr125, why not just get one of those? It would probably be a lot cheaper than any of the bigger bikes. Or take Corban up on his offer and go sit on some bikes.

I like the ttr125 a lot, but I don't know if I'm "sold" on it. It's the only bike I have really ridden a lot, so it's kinda my reference bike. But there's nothing really wrong with it, it worked great for me. I wouldn't mind a little more power and room. When I rode Tyler's xr200, it seemed to fit really well, and the power was fine. I guess I could get a cheap xr200, ride it 'till I feel like it's holding me back, then sell it for what I paid for it.

plaidfro

DRZ400E Electric streetable bike, lower to the ground than others and very reliable. Had one for a long time, just change the oil and fill the gas.. Affordable..

With your stature you would hate this bike... even with a Lowering link.

The TTR125 is not going to have enough oompf as you get some experience offroad... in fact I would be nervous about the small tire sizes. A guy rode his wifes TTR125 through the swell with us and quickly got a pinch flat. Seriously look at the used Honda CRF230F's. If you are liking the TTR125 size and ride then the 230F would be a good fit for a more durable bike on the trail

sixstringsteve

I'd like to find something a little bigger than the TTR125. I don't feel cramped after a long ride, but I do feel like I could stretch out a bit more on a bigger bike. But I agree, a DRZ400 looks like a big bike to me. I doubt I could pick it up on a narrow trail (or even in a wide open field for that matter). The TTR225 that I rode for 5 min felt a little more stretched out and more like my size. It didn't feel as nimble though.

I'll have to test-ride a crf230F, that sounds like something more up my alley.