Thinking about getting a dirt bike... need advice

sixstringsteve

The XR200 is a great bike for mountain trails. It's fairly light, a LOT lighter than a DRZ, WR450F, CRF450X, ... and is much more nimble due to shorter wheelbase and tighter steering lock. The CRF230F is heavier than a XR200 because it's electric start.

As long as your street riding is around town, say 45 mph roads and less, the XR200 should be fine. It's also got a 6-speed.

One drawback to the XR200 is a 17" rear wheel. So you don't have the tire options. Many people I know with XR200s get a 18" wheel, or lace up an 18" rim. This a mainly so a trials tire can be run for the real technical mountain trails, or rugged desert trails like 5MOH.

Most of the guys who were doing the motorcycle trail work in AF Canyon years ago rode XR200s. They are fine bikes, and very good on goat trails, especially with a trials tire on the back.

Given your criteria, it'd be a good choice.

There's an article on lighting for XR200s at:

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/lightup/

Thanks, that was really helpful. When I mountain bike up AF canyon, I have seen a lot of guys riding the trials tires up there, and they say it's the only way to go for that stuff. I don't really plan on going faster than 45 MPH on the road (or offroad for that matter).

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
What in particular will I find lacking with either of those two bikes? Is it the power, speed, clearance?

Power, handling and versatility imo.

Do the older XR's sit lower?

Yes. The 250-600's sat very tall and this starting happening during the late 80's. The older 200-350's were shorter and I think you'd probably fit them just fine

I think even an XR250 is giong to be too tall for me.

Very likely. They are just short enough for me at 5' 11"

I'm only 5'6" and I weigh 165lbs

I'm slightly taller same weight

As i research a bit more, I'm thinking a KDX200 would be a good little trail bike, although I'm not sure how high they sit.

Its hard to give recommendations on bikes lol. I'm trying to help a 55 year old guy at work that wants to get back into it pick one and it is REALLY tough! It boils down to what you want to do and how you plan to use it.

I learned how to ride single track on a 97 KDX 200 (87 and earlier KDX's are much shorter) and they are excellent beginner trail bikes and it does not take much to make them competitive once you gain experience on them they fit a wide range of riders. I compare the power similar to an XR 400 but much lighter. I had mine when I was 15 and I wasn't very tall then... and they are a tall bike lol. I just learned how to deal with it (that goes to an extent I don't encourage people riding bikes that are way too tall for them) and armored it to the point it wouldn't hurt it as much when it did get dumped over which happened a LOT! :D

My recommendation for guy's my age is 350+cc 4T or 200cc+ 2T and no more than 250lbs. I recommend that weight limit because often times a new rider finds a heavier bike riding them vs. them riding it :eek:

sixstringsteve

thanks andrew. I like the idea of a lighter 2t that's got some good low-end torque. So it sounds like a KDX200 is going to be a bit tall for me. I'd like to test-ride one and see how I fit on it.

Tyler (pelygroso) has a wr250 (2 stroke) and he loves it, and he is into the same type of riding as me, only he's a great rider. his bike didn't look as tall as a yz250 or xr400, but it was noticeably taller than his xr200.

This is really good feedback everyone, thanks for the suggestions. i'm learning a lot. i'm also reading other forums as well, but as a total noob, I don't even know which bikes to start researching. This has been a good start. keep 'em coming.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I like the idea of a lighter 2t that's got some good low-end torque.

Tyler (pelygroso) has a wr250 (2 stroke) and he loves it, and he is into the same type of riding as me, only he's a great rider. his bike didn't look as tall as a yz250 or xr400, but it was noticeably taller than his xr200.

I'm a big fan of the WR two strokes. Turbohaulic has several of them along with a bunch of older Yamaha IT's (also killer bikes) and I wish you lived closer I'm sure he'd let you try one out! It doesn't take a lot to make a two stroke lug around on the trail. For the most part a little lower gearing and/or a flywheel weight will make anyone happy with their 2T on the tighter stuff. That said I'm two stroke all the way, but even I admit I'd rather have a 4T for street use lol ;)

pELYgroso

'Merica
I'll stick with what I said earlier today....at your height, you'll love the kdx 200. They're DEFINITELY not as tall as a 250 and with the shorter wheel base you'll be able to rip around the trails well. If you were taller, I'd say WR250 all day long because I LOOOOVE mine, but I really think you'll like the kdx 200. They also started to make a kdx220 for awhile and those are nice as well, but if you look into those make sure you're careful because the stock pistons are known to grenade, and if somebody rebuilt the engine after a grenaded piston and didn't clean all of the tiny metal shards perfectly, it could be bad.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I wonder how a kdx200 would compare to a wr250 in terms of seat height and rideability for novices like me.

That's odd because I've always felt the KDX was quite a bit taller than the WR. Either way the motor is a lot mellower and beginner friendly with the KDX. It has a lot of flywheel weight and bottom end power which make it very predictable and forgiving. Both handle very well in the majority of conditions, but if anything I'd say the KDX is a little sharper during slow speed maneuvers where the WR shines in the high speed open desert. Handling between the two is not a deal breaker by any means one way or the other they both handle VERY well in all conditions compared to a lot of other bikes out there imo. The WR is big on power in comparison but it is very usable and predictable.

A lot of riders back in the day opted for a taller seat foam on the WR's because they sad so low so a stock seat could be a benefit to you...

Caleb

For the most part a little lower gearing and/or a flywheel weight will make anyone happy with their 2T on the tighter stuff.

:rofl: If you and your group don't mind you riding around on a chainsaw :p

BTW, goodluck on staying under the 250lb weight limit with a 4T. You're stuck with small bikes sticking to that limit. Even a modern day ttr230 or crf230f are right at 250lbs. Go any older and the weight climbs. However, once you're at the weight of the 230s, the 450s are only a few pounds more (251 vs. 267 for the yamahas, 249 vs. 269 for the Hondas). Not saying to go out a buy a 450, because that will be too much bike for you, but don't put too much thought in to the weight. (It's not like you're looking at a 400lb+ swedish bike, right Russ :p) Unless you're super scrawny, I think you could pick up just about any of the bikes mentioned.

SportSawyer

... Even a modern day ttr230 or crf230f are right at 250lbs. Go any older and the weight climbs. ...

An XR200 is in the 230-235 lb range and has a low CG.

A Scorpa T-Ride with a Yamaha 250F engine is around 230 lb with an electric start and lights (Scorpa claims something like 210 lb) . It also has a lower seat height and is much more nimble than any current enduro bike. Not many in the US though. There was a production run earlier this year and some may have come in.

I have a modern 4-stroke that weighs 162 lb and has battery-less EFI but doesn't have a seat.

It's too bad that trials bikes aren't allowed to compete against the regular bikes anymore in Endurocross. It could have eventually led to a hybrid that'd be much better for tough trail riding. Something like the T-Ride at a real 200-210 lb.

Just for fun: The little red bike in a sea of orange and blue... (scroll down on the page)

sixstringsteve

I have a co-worker who is selling his 90's (I forgot the year) xr200. It just had the motor rebuilt by a local shop. He says it could use a few things to be cherry, but it's a solid little bike. He wants $1000. I'm going to go test ride it in a bit.

I'm originally from CA, and I know they have crazy environmental/registration rules for 2-strokes. Do we have similar rules here in Utah?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Which 2-stroke are you looking into?

Utah and California have little in common other than lots of them move here :D We don't have anything resembling their 2-stroke law to my knowledge. My wife's Kawasaki enduro is a street-legal 2 stroke.

sixstringsteve

Which 2-stroke are you looking into?

Utah and California have little in common other than lots of them move here :D We don't have anything resembling their 2-stroke law to my knowledge. My wife's Kawasaki enduro is a street-legal 2 stroke.

I don't have a particular 2-stroke in mind, I'm just trying to make sure I don't back myself into a weird law.

The 2 strokes that pique my interest are the kdx200 and the wr250

Caleb

An XR200 is in the 230-235 lb range and has a low CG.

A Scorpa T-Ride with a Yamaha 250F engine is around 230 lb with an electric start and lights (Scorpa claims something like 210 lb) . It also has a lower seat height and is much more nimble than any current enduro bike. Not many in the US though. There was a production run earlier this year and some may have come in.

I have a modern 4-stroke that weighs 162 lb and has battery-less EFI but doesn't have a seat.

It's too bad that trials bikes aren't allowed to compete against the regular bikes anymore in Endurocross. It could have eventually led to a hybrid that'd be much better for tough trail riding. Something like the T-Ride at a real 200-210 lb.

Just for fun: The little red bike in a sea of orange and blue... (scroll down on the page)
Minus the trials bike (wouldn't want to ride all day on a trials bike anyways) that's exactly what I said. You're stuck to the small bikes (exactly what I consider an xr200 to be) if you want to stay under the 250lb mark. The xr200 could be a good fit for you, but don't be surprised when you want more from it. :)

Jesser04

IMHO anything less than a new 250f is gonna get old real soon. I think you will be able to manage the taller bike it will just take some seat time. You need to go ride a bike like rholbrook's or caleb's and see how it feels. I have a feeling after about a month that's what you will be after anyways.

Last edited:

plaidfro

I don't have a particular 2-stroke in mind, I'm just trying to make sure I don't back myself into a weird law.

The 2 strokes that pique my interest are the kdx200 and the wr250

All my research is showing that Utah Motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing. They only have to pass the I/M regs.

as a side note, my next dirt bike will be a 2-stroke armored up for trail riding. A 300lb 4-stroke (DRZ400E) is just a bit of a work out in the tight single track. I would hope that I could find a KTM 300 EXC out there used. The KTM 300 EXC 2-stroke has a 6-speed wide ratio gearing would be nice on the trails.

As for the Kawasaki' that have been suggested I ride with a guy who runs a KDX220... and he is an awesome rider. I have never come close to keeping up with him on the trail. I will be looking for the KDX220 if I can't find a reasonably priced KTM.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
:rofl: If you and your group don't mind you riding around on a chainsaw :p

BTW, goodluck on staying under the 250lb weight limit with a 4T.

Hey now I'd rather ride my chainsaw vs. ride the entire saw mill :D :rofl: j/k

Weight is the major reason I'm still on a 2T but again everyone is different. I know it's contradicting from what I said in my first post when I recommended a DR350/XR (and I still do), but I really think a beginner is going to struggle on a bike weighing much more than 250lbs on single track and moderately technical trails and it sounds like that is what you are wanting to get into. That limits the options I know... Two of my friends haven't rode in 6 or so years and they just bought a YZ426 and a KTM525 to get back into it. I really wish they both would have choose differently. Even though they have experience from way back when they struggle every time with the weight, power, and starting them back up once they tip over--which is a lot--and this is just on muddy atv trails so far :-\

Steve, I really hope I don't come across as trying to sway you one way or the other. I need to grab that fuel tank from you soon maybe a bunch of us can get together at 5 mile and you could sample some bikes or something? I need to jet in my 500 and turbohaulic needs to break in his WR250 so it would be a lazy day of riding. I'm more than happy to let you try my 250 it is now set up for XC and very user friendly. I think you need to try out some options before pulling the trigger.

sixstringsteve

Steve, I really hope I don't come across as trying to sway you one way or the other. I need to grab that fuel tank from you soon maybe a bunch of us can get together at 5 mile and you could sample some bikes or something? I need to jet in my 500 and turbohaulic needs to break in his WR250 so it would be a lazy day of riding. I'm more than happy to let you try my 250 it is now set up for XC and very user friendly. I think you need to try out some options before pulling the trigger.

All your feedback is really appreciated. I would love to try out as many bikes as possible, to get an idea of what I'd like. I'd love to meet you out at 5 mile sometime and give a few bikes a quick spin.